DodgeTalk Forum banner

Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
17 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I just replaced my water pump in my 2000 Dodge Ram 1500 5.9L 4x4 Quad. When I removed the old one, it appeared to be leaking antifreeze from the left side bolt hole just above the lower radiator hose connection. Is this normal? Also I refilled the antifreeze with a 50/50 mix and I don't know if I did it right. I ran the engine until the thermostat opened and also had the heat on in the cab. The truck seems to be running a little hotter but not much. It stays below the 210 on the gauge and never went past. However, I just got off the expressway after a 15 mile run and the radiator cap was cool to the touch. 50 degree temperature outside right now in Chicago. The overflow tank is filled to the "full" mark and I got plenty of heat in the cab. Does this sound ok?

·
Registered
266 Posts
Yeah-sounds almost ok--when the coolant system has been opened for repair these engines tend to trap air in the coolant passages and need to be burped. Lots of ways to do it-I prefer non invasive, just drive it until warm, then let it cool and check the overflow tank adding coolant as necessary. Do this several times, it should work the air out of the system. BTW since you replaced the water pump, go ahead and replace the radiator cap, also. Just in case. HTH

·
******* SPACESTATION
5,543 Posts
Ever think about installing a 180 t-stat in it?

·
Registered
17 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
I actually bought the 180 thermostat and gasket at the same time but backed off because my time was limited [ needed to get to work] and got intimidated. If the old gasket residue was as bad as the water pump gasket, I wouldn't have had time to finish it. I will save it for a rainy day project but tI know his would have been the best time to do it. I did change out the fan clutch though. I am also pretty sure I got the death flash on it and am only getting about 10-12 mpg and lacks power. It has the upgrade sticker on the PCM housing. Because of this I have my eye out for a Superchips module.

·
******* SPACESTATION
5,543 Posts
I would buy a stock PCM for $100 or send of that one to be flashed before I would buy any type of piggy back chip/programmer.

1 - 6 of 6 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.