Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
726 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
:rck:Hey guys,

Ever since I have had my truck, 2011 Ram 1500, there has always been a small amount of water that would leak into the cab right in the corners of the rear window and it would get on the corners of my rear seats...reading through the threads it seemed the majority of you thought it was due to the 3rd brake light seal. Well, I upgraded to an aftermarket 3rd brake light and it still did it. I finally decided to do something about it and resealed my 3rd brake light thinking that would fix the problem...no beuno! So I went out again today and was looking around and finally found where the water was coming in...the weather strips the run along the roof and down to the corners right about the rear window, if you peel them back a little, you will see there is a hole where the seal around the actual window does not come in contact with the metal of the body and thus, the water finds its entry into the cab. I tested by pouring water down those weather strips and bingo, the water ran right down the inside of my window and onto my seats! I then cleaned the area as best as I could, got some sealant/adhesive stuff from the dollar store for a few bucks, sealed both sides up and wal-la....performed the same water pouring test and no water in the cab!

I know I know, I'm basically a genius lol...but seriously, for those of you still having water leak into your cab and into your headliner, go check that area out and see if that is your culprit. Sorry I don't have any pics but hopefully my description is good enough and you can figure out what I am talking about.

Now also, I am not saying this is the fix for everyone, but for me...it worked. Let me know if yall have any questions!! :rck:

·
Registered
1,174 Posts
Its guys like you that make the website more informative so keep up the good work. And please post a pic. Dont want to have to search for this hole your speaking of. Thanks

·
Registered
726 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Its guys like you that make the website more informative so keep up the good work. And please post a pic. Dont want to have to search for this hole your speaking of. Thanks
Lol, Im just an ordinary guy, doing extra-ordinary things!!

Here is where the water was coming in - from where the headliner meets the window..

And here are the weather strips Im talking about - just grab it from the bottom and lift it up a little and you will see the gap from where the window rubber thing doesnt quite sit against the metal and you will see the little hole on both sides of the truck.

·
Registered
726 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
The weather strip was basically acting as a slide for the water...it runs right down it and into the hole that was there!

·
Registered
331 Posts
The other day I washed my truck and noticed some water on the back seat where you mentioned, didn't think to much about it at the time cause it never happened before. Now I will have to check this out. Mine is a 2009 by the way.

Thanks for your investigation and insight.

·
Registered
726 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
The other day I washed my truck and noticed some water on the back seat where you mentioned, didn't think to much about it at the time cause it never happened before. Now I will have to check this out. Mine is a 2009 by the way.

Thanks for your investigation and insight.
No problem...it actually is getting into your headliner also, so make sure until you fix it, (if it needs fixing) that you let your truck air out real good when you notice any water on your sets because more than likely there's some up under your headliner too. :gr_patrio

·
Cali Wagon Wheeler
1,307 Posts
Nice! I just noticed that when I washed the truck the last time! Thanks for the info!

·
Registered
1,457 Posts
Very good info. I had a similar problem 2 years ago and I thought it was the 3rd brake light but I had a bad rear window seal. Makes me wonder if that area was the problem...

·
Registered
726 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
Glad I was able to contribute some useful info to the forum!!

·
Registered
726 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
Just an update - no doubt about it that was the problem. Had some heavy, long lasting rain today...truck was both parked in it and I drove in it for a little while and not a drop of water came in. Before I fixed the holes, there would be water dripping into the cab with out a doubt in the rain we had today. Rock on!!

·
Registered
55 Posts
I heard water dripping the other day when I was driving in some hard rain. I never saw any water but it sounded like it was dripping around the b pillar. I guess I will have to check out the headliner and see if it is getting wet.

Sent from my DROID RAZR using Tapatalk 2

·
Admin - David Mack
30,924 Posts
Good info! Thanks!!

:rck:

1 - 12 of 12 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.