DodgeTalk Forum banner

Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
29 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
hey guys. I went off-roading a couple weeks ago and got stuck in the deepest part of the trail. I had water sitting inside my truck while we waited for a truck big enough to come pull me out. My problem is my carpet is still wet. do any of you know any tricks on getting this dry? Thanks.

·
Registered
2,168 Posts
Well I believe you have the carpet, then several layers of insulation and crap before you get to the frame. It would probably take a while for all of that to get dry if it seeped through into the layers. If you could remove the trim along the bottom and pull the carpet up, it may dry faster with the bottom of the layers exposed. Maybe someone else has a better idea, but that's all I can think of ?

·
Registered
29 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
well the day after it happened I pulled some carpet back and it was soaking wet underneath it. I'm probably going to pull my front seat out and pull the carpet back and shopvac it.

·
Registered
803 Posts
had a similar problem in my last vehicle. I found it easiets to use a lot of paper towels and a steam cleaner. The steam cleaner was to get the mud and dirt and crap out then mop it all up with paper towels. I also pulled back my carpet shoved some 2x4s under it and elft it up for awhile. Then after drying remove the 2x4s and lay it down and it might lay flat if not just let it lay there and hopefully as you run the ehat it will work itself back into the proper shape.

·
Registered
607 Posts
Thanks to the backing of the carpet, the underfelt will never dry if it's left in place, I've had mine saturated several times from leaks, the only thing to do is lift the seats out and remove the carpet, the felt on mine takes a few days of hanging to give up all the gallons of water that it holds, even after rolling the bulk of it out.
It'll stink pretty soon if you leave it.

·
Registered
29 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
it already stinks. it happened 3 weeks ago today and I'm off at college so I don't have any tools.

·
Registered
607 Posts
The underfelt is made from shredded cotton rag, it'll be starting to mildew, after this long you may end up having to rip it out anyway (it's glued to the underside of the carpet). That much you can do with just a screwdriver for the sillplates. Replace it with closed cell foam if you're likely to get it wet again. I had to Lysol mine to get them tolerable.

1 - 8 of 8 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.