DodgeTalk Forum banner
Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 14 of 14 Posts

·
Registered
9 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I was driving along and there was no previous warning or notion that there was anything wrong. The next thing I knew is that there was a one small click and then it died and there was nothing.I immidiatly pulled over with no power or brakes. It turned over fine with no odd noises ..I narrowed it down to the fuel pump wasnt kicking in the fuel fileter was fine and the plugs had no fire.. Can anyone please help me this is the only vehicle we have and I need help so I can fix it.. thanks

·
Registered
9 Posts
Discussion Starter · #2 ·
This is still the owner I forgot to add that the small popping sound was not a backfire and it doesnt back fire when trying to start cause of no fire to the plucgs this just up and and happened with no warning, and it only popped once!!! Thanks

·
Do It In A Van
8,045 Posts
What engine do you have?

·
Do It In A Van
8,045 Posts
Okay first things first. Have someone take the fuel cap off an put their ear next to the filler while you turn the key on. This will determine if the fuel pump comes on for the "3 second prime" cycle. If it doesn't, it may be a fuse, a bad fuel pump relay, or the fuel pump itself.

No spark could be a number of things. Under the coil packs is the ignition module. This could have gone bad or the crank sensor which is down by the crankshaft pulley.

One thing it could be since you said you heard a "pop" and then it died, is a broken timing chain. Unless your very mechanically inclined, a shop will have to tackle this job. You maybe able to verify this by removing the oil filler cap and looking down inside the valve cover with a flashlight while someone cranks the engine. If you don't see any movement of the valvetrain....guess what? Broken timing chain.

·
Registered
9 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
ok I'll check out those things from what i have been seing on here there were alot of caravans fron1990 all the way up to 2002 that had similar problems. The fuel pump is not priming but I have checked and there is a voltage but the fuel pump isn't priming there is a little pressure at the place where you can check the fuel pressure after it is cranked over but not nearly like it should be. I have pulled off the hose at the fuel filter and cranked it over also and there was no fuel squirting out when it was cranked over.
we have tested voltage and there is a voltage running to the harness and also checked at the coil packs harness even after i changed the coil pack first there was no voltage running to the coilpack. when it popped there was no warning at all little pop then nothing no fire then no fuel all at once. thanks

·
Registered
9 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
i also did what you asked and there was no prime sound in the tank and i looked in the oil filler and there lifters were moving

·
Do It In A Van
8,045 Posts
There is a relay under the hood called an Auto Shut-Down relay (ASD relay) that could be the caulprit. The ASD relay basically is the fuel/ignition circuit and if this relay goes bad, then it won't start.

·
Registered
9 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
Thanks for that I will check it. I ruled out the pump and coil pack cause i manually tested the fuel pump and its working and no juice to the pack I'll call autozone and see if they can help me find which relay it is..lol.. there are 9 of em and the owners manual has no electrical blue prints. I really appriciate all your help so far, most wouldnt go even that far.thanks again!! I am off to try to find it.I'll let you know if I found it and if it was the couprit!

·
Do It In A Van
8,045 Posts
Under the hood you should see 5 relays along the left fender. The ASD relay is the second one from the top.

·
Registered
9 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
Ok I ordered a asd relay from the dodge dealer here.. there are 5 relays on the driverside fenderwall. They are side by side. The first two and the last two are all identicle the one in the middle is the only different one. There are two on the firewall and two on the passenger fender wall also. I have changed all of the identicle relays around and there was no change. The Dodge dealer said that it didnt list a asd relay for 1993 model but they did for 1992 model and that they were probably the same wiring and thats why they may not have listed it.

·
Registered
9 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
i have switched both relays second from both ends cause I wasn't shure which you meant was the top one they were both the same .. no change.. you shure its not the thrid one (or the middle one)?

·
Do It In A Van
8,045 Posts
Well according the service manual it's the second one down from the top (windshield) I wonder if it's a misprint????

1 - 14 of 14 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.