DodgeTalk Forum banner

Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Ray
68 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I thought I had warped rotors on my 99 D so I went ahead and replaced the rotors and pads (both wheels of course). I still have what feels like a warped rotor and it almost feels worse! Just to be sure I disconnected the ABS system but that had no effect. Any suggestions?

·
Banned
8,865 Posts
how did you torque the wheel lug nuts? If you use an impact wrench, or have uneven torque on the lugnuts, you can create a similar pulsation on braking.

Maybe you could also describe the problem you were experiencing to determine if your original problem was due to a warped rotor.

·
Ray
68 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Original problem - pulsing brake pedal at almost any speed. Higher speed = faster pulse.

Normally I just torque the lug nuts by feel with a 1/2" drive ratchet. But this time, to play it safe I used a torque wrench and torqued them to 105 ft-lb (the manual says 85 to 115). I even went in 4 steps (30, 60, 90, 105) and of course used the appropriate chris-cross pattern.

I also went ahead and flushed the brake fluid with new and rotated the tires, that last part should have eliminated any wheel problem.

Also, calipers seem to move freely. I had no problem compressing them with a small C-clamp before putting the new pads on. I greased the caliper mounting bolts and rails the end of the pads ride on.

I wonder if I got a new rotor that was warped to begin with?

·
Banned
8,865 Posts
hmmm.....

·
Registered
606 Posts
sounds like the wheels aren't balanced anymore, check all your tires to see if any weights came off. If that is ok, check your ball joints. I had that problem with a older car i had and the weights fell off.

·
Banned
8,865 Posts
if tires are not balanced, they would vibrate at certain speeds, not just while braking.

I would check suspension and steering systems though.

·
Ray
68 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
I pulled the wheels back off and started rechecking everything. Turns out one of the new rotors is warped/bent. It has a very obvious pattern where the pad is not touching it. I replaced it with the one old rotor that is not warped and all vibration during breaking went away. I guess it's off to the parts house tomorrow for a free replacement.

Thanks for all the info.

1 - 7 of 7 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.