DodgeTalk Forum banner
Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
39 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I'm fast approaching the end of my warranty (less than 500 miles until 36k) on my 03 4.7L, and have recently started to feel a very minor pulsing when slowing to a stop. It's pretty minor right now, but if it should be covered under warranty I should call the dealer right away. The pads have also just started squealing under light braking. I know Jeeps are notorious for eating pads, but I'm not aware of the same thing on a D. How do the wear indicators work again...squeal under light braking but not under hard braking? I can't remember...been a long time since I've done breaks. I've towed ocassionally, but rarely over 2500lbs...other than that most of my miles are highway...think they could be shot already?

·
2000 Durango R/T
1,065 Posts
I'm not positive that it's covered under warranty, but you should be able to call and ask them. Tell the service department you think you've got a warped rotor and you want to have your brakes checked over. Make sure it's covered under the warranty, otherwise you're better off doing the job yourself and upgrading (my factory brakes made me nervous sometimes - I wasn't sure that they were going to stop me in time).

As far as the squeal, it's hard to tell - when my rotors were warped, my brakes squealed a little bit, but when I pulled them off, they were actually fine. If you think the pads might be almost gone, your best bet is to pull the wheel off and take a look for yourself. Shouldn't take but a few minutes.

·
Registered
39 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
I called and they said that pads & rotors are just under 12/12k warranty. So I guess I will just drive them as is until they get worse (you can barely notice it right now). What are the the best choices for new rotors & pads. I don't need some super expensive cross drilled slotted and new 8 piston calipers with ceramic race pads. Just a good everyday pad & rotor with a little better stopping power than stock. Something that will hopefully last longer than 35-40k miles.

·
2000 Durango R/T
1,065 Posts
Sorry to hear about the warranty. As far as new rotors and pads go - check out this thread:

http://www.dodgetalk.com/forums/showthread.php?t=43357

If you read through it, I got a set of Roto-Tech drilled/slotted rotors from a vendor in Florida for a shade under $100 after shipping. I also got a set of Hawk HPS pads (seem to be the best pads for the money) from Jegs online for about $60.

1 - 4 of 4 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.