DodgeTalk Forum banner

Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 20 of 35 Posts

·
Registered
328 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I recently installed the jumper wire in my relay fuse box(under hood). It allows the fog lights to be on when your bright lights are on. It worked fine around town when driving regular. But when I got on the highway and kicked it down to pass a rig it downshifted and fell flat on her face. Then it revved up but didn't gain any speed. :hair: It didn't show any problems when driving at normal highway speed. The only thing that I could think of that I had done to the truck was the jumper wire. I pulled over, pulled it out, got back on the highway, and tried it. The truck was back to normal; all my HEMI power was back. So I just wanted to warn anyone who has done this to be aware of this possible problem. It could be a BIG potential safety problem. I'm just glad my wife and son weren't with me at the time. Keep safe and good luck.

·
Registered
23,005 Posts
Dude, you must be jumping the wrong wires or something Bro. :shocked: I have had mine like this for at least a year, with no problems whatsoever. DO as the pic above and you will be fine. :tup:

KB

·
Registered
126 Posts
definitely sounds like the wrong relays were jumped... u cant get a better description than mheidemans pic diagrams. double check that you jumped the right ones.

·
5 Years... 6 Dodges
25,280 Posts
Geez... what rocket scientist came up with that hokey fix???

I never had any problems when Ihad it done.

·
Registered
112 Posts
wire gauge?

What gauge wire do you guys suggest? 14g, 16g

I tried it with 8 gauge and could not get it to wrap around the relays...........just kidding, using 14 gauge now..seems a little thick but I dont know how much juice is actually going thru it.

·
Registered
1,681 Posts
Do you know if the wiring fro relays is the same for the 06?

I installed my factory foglights on my 04 so I wired them to work all the time but my 06 came with them and I hate the fact that they dont stay on with the high beams. Thanks.

·
Registered
258 Posts
LARBUD- Your issue with shifting may not be related to your jumper wire mod at all. I had the same strange issue once myself and I never did or plan to do the jumper wire trick. One day after work I was in a major rush to get to an appointment. I started my truck and threw it in drive all in one move! Well everything was fine until I got on the highway and tried to jump on the gas to pass a car. Same as your issue, It lost it's HEMI MOJO!!! It drive fine at normal hwy speeds -60mph but whenever I tried to give it some gas to pass someone, it would just rev and sputter! I pulled over and turned the engine completly off and restarted it. No issues since. I believe that when I orginally started it must not have went through some proceedure with the computer????

·
Registered
328 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
I got the info off of dodgetalk.com. I had the same pictures as mheideman posted, I found them from an earlier post. I even took my laptop out to the garage so there would be no mistakes. I did it exactly as it showed, believe me, my wife says I'm a very meticulous person on the verge of being over analitical. lol. Anyway, I'm not saying it will happen to every one but it seems to be more than coincidence that the only change in the truck was the jumper and as soon as I take it out, problem solved. Who knows what it was, you know how it is with computers and electronics, lol. Thanks for the replies guys.

Attachments

·
5 Years... 6 Dodges
25,280 Posts
BoneDryRacer said:
What gauge wire do you guys suggest? 14g, 16g

I tried it with 8 gauge and could not get it to wrap around the relays...........just kidding, using 14 gauge now..seems a little thick but I dont know how much juice is actually going thru it.
I don't remember what size I used... it wasn't too thick. There's barely any juice running between the two so I'd say anything bigger then a 20g would be plenty fine.

·
5 Years... 6 Dodges
25,280 Posts
04QuadCab8 said:
Do you know if the wiring fro relays is the same for the 06?

I installed my factory foglights on my 04 so I wired them to work all the time but my 06 came with them and I hate the fact that they dont stay on with the high beams. Thanks.
I hadn't looked... I intended to, but I put my fogs in so I really have no need for wimpy high beams. lol

·
5 Years... 6 Dodges
25,280 Posts
larbud said:
I got the info off of dodgetalk.com. I had the same pictures as mheideman posted, I found them from an earlier post. I even took my laptop out to the garage so there would be no mistakes. I did it exactly as it showed, believe me, my wife says I'm a very meticulous person on the verge of being over analitical. lol. Anyway, I'm not saying it will happen to every one but it seems to be more than coincidence that the only change in the truck was the jumper and as soon as I take it out, problem solved. Who knows what it was, you know how it is with computers and electronics, lol. Thanks for the replies guys.
lol I was being a smart ass... I'm the one that took those pix and posted it up.

And you can take it for what it's worth... this is just my opinion. But please give it another shot. Put the wire back in and check the headlights and fogs and ensure they work as they should. If so... then take the truck out and see if it has the same problem. As sugelle said, he had the problem once before and never even touched this mod.

·
Registered
328 Posts
Discussion Starter #14
Bubba_Hemi said:
lol I was being a smart ass... I'm the one that took those pix and posted it up.

And you can take it for what it's worth... this is just my opinion. But please give it another shot. Put the wire back in and check the headlights and fogs and ensure they work as they should. If so... then take the truck out and see if it has the same problem. As sugelle said, he had the problem once before and never even touched this mod.
Yeah that's what I figured: that you posted the pics not the smart ass part. lol. But yep, as soon as I get home I'm gonna give it another try. I'll let you know what happens. :crazy:

·
5 Years... 6 Dodges
25,280 Posts
Please do... would love to hear that you've got it all hooked up and running right.

But of course if there is a chance of something still not working right.

·
5 Years... 6 Dodges
25,280 Posts
No need to be sorry at all... glad that can still be of use. :)

·
Registered
410 Posts
Can anyone tell me what relays are being tied together in the pictures. I have an 04 Hemi Durango that I would like to try this mod on but I'm not sure that the fuse boxes are the same. Thanks for any help.

·
Registered
1,041 Posts
i just did the mod.... do the fogs stay on all of the time? even when they r not pulled out? cuz thats what mine are doing......

·
5 Years... 6 Dodges
25,280 Posts
Yes, they are now jumpered with the running lights. So if the lights are turned on at all, the fogs will too.

1 - 20 of 35 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.