DodgeTalk Forum banner

Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 20 of 20 Posts

·
Registered
17 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
hey all, ive tried to post in other parts of the forum for this with no replies...maybe ill have better luck here...

Im wanting to get a cam for my 318 but Its my first v8 vehicle... Ive looked at quite a few cams, but dont know exactly what to look for. I want a good lope to it with some good power made from it.

Im guessing in order to do it ill need to mess with my fuel and timing.and possible my electrical a bit.

any help is much appriciated...

thanks,
Michael

·
Previously Micash21
2,802 Posts
This is the cam I want to go with for my 318:

http://store.summitracing.com/partdetail.asp?part=CCA-20-622-9&FROM=MG

It wont require and modifying of anything in your vehicle. You can run this w/o having to change any parts. However, if you are in there doing this, I would recommend changing some parts out. Rockers, pushrods, valve springs. I plan on replacing the heads, due to the fact that somehow one of my spark plugs is half stripped in the head.

·
Registered
3,722 Posts
To the original poster, the first question is what are you looking to get out of it? If you are looking for performance, there are a lot of other cheaper and easier modifications that will get you more. Unless you are mechanically capable and are going to do the work yourself, a cam is going to cost a lot. The part itself is not much but the top end of the engine (intake, heads, accessories etc) needs to come off. It can be inserted by removing front end parts but you need to know what you are doing and again is labor involved.

If you are just looking for a lumpy idle, well it's your $$$$ and not worth it.

·
Registered
17 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
thanks

thanks for the replies guys...

to micash21, thanks for the info. Im looking at the 216 from comp cams.

and Neil F.. Im looking for good performance and also a good rumble. If i do the 216 im also going to do the edelbrock performer heads, intake manifold, shorty headers, and a ram air hood and kit. I also was thinking of getting nitrous. Before i do everything else i was thinking of just running the nitrous but im not sure how this motor will do with it factory...

as to doing the stuff myself...i can easily do it myself... this is my first personally owned v8 vehicle. ive worked on many v8s, just never owned one. i actually just recently rebuilt my friends 318 in his durango about 2 1/2 to 3 months ago...

sadly shortly after i did it, he put it into a mudhole up to his drivers side window and sucked water into his cold air intake which washed out his cylinders and screwed his oil pump up...now its broke down again and he bought a new mustang... im actually thinking of buying his off of him and building it up as a mud rango and doing mine as more of a street one...dunno yet...we'll see.

any advice on the nitrous would help like crazy though. but i dont know if i want to refill the bottle 24/7 tho. haha...

thanks,
michael

·
It doesn't need a Hemi
462 Posts
The thing to remember is, what rpm range do you want your power made in? The lope in the cam comes from the overlap of the intake and exhaust lobes. The cams with really heavy lopes, run very poorly until they reach their base rpm. That is why they lope. When I was young, I had an early 70s Plymouth with a 318 in it. I put a very heavy cam in it so that it would have a mean lope. The car sounded fast, but the truth is, my Durango would eat it up right now, and it idles smooth as glass.

The Performer RPM heads are a fantastic investment, because they have the 2.02 intake valves like the old 340 engines before the Magnum, plus the Magnum heads are best used for door stops. Of course with the problem with C.A.R.B. here in California and the computer controlled vehicles, dumping raw fuel out the tailpipe would not only set the MIL, but would also eventually damage the cat. Things may be different in your state though. As I have learned, bigger is not always better. I want to recam my 360, to move the power band a bit higher, but I also want to loose as little low end as possible. That means no lopey cam for me.

·
Registered
17 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
thank you durangoholic.
i appriciate your help alot. i want a mean lope but if it will hurt my power at lower rpms...then thats not what i want.

now as to the emissions i live in west virginia...everyone has v8s and straight pipes it seems like haha...no limit to what you do here really...just as long as you have a cat your pretty much good to go.

and as to the new heads...ive been wondering what gains i would be looking at with that. weather its worth the cash id have to drop to get them.

i want to build this trucks motor up to a good hp range...350-500...anywhere in there or higher would be wonderful...

now how much would i be looking at if i just did the intake, programmer, headers, and a 50mm or so TB. and add in the exhaust i already have done.

im new to the drivetrain modding as well so i know for sure im doing a shift kit, and possibly some new gears.

im just pondering as to what to do...this spring im 100% getting under her and doing the following.

-cleaning up the frame/underbody.
-pulling off the hitch and sanding/painting it black again.
-pulling off the hatch and sanding/painting it...(slight rust on the bottom inside)
-rebuilding the entire front end (suspension and such)
-and prolly doing a tune up on the motor. (spark plugs, wires, oil, tranny flush, radiator flush, and so on...) dunno what the previous owner put this thing through...so im gonna take every precaution possible.

sorry to write you a book to read...haha just dont have anyone here local to talk to on this stuff...(other than the people who say they know but actually dont haha..)

·
It doesn't need a Hemi
462 Posts
The biggest power gain for my money, was the computer flash. They advertise 45 hp increase for my D, and I felt like I got all 45 of it. Everything gave me a bit more, but it really all came together when I got it all on. Something I neglected to do when I was younger and working on my Mopars. Neil F. kinda mentioned that. I would get a Superchips or SCT programmer and a Fastman TB first. Then move to the headers and crossover pipe. The crossover on my D was incredibly restrictive, but I have heard that these vehicle loose power when you install duals on them. So I kept the single exhaust.

The only way to get the hp gains you have mentioned is to, 1) either replace the heads and include some serious engine mods if not a complete rebuild, 2) add nitrous which will most likely deteriorate the bottom of your stock engine, especially if you push the buttom very much, 3) supercharge your engine which will add a tremendous amount of investment into the whole thing, and will tear up your stock shortblock also. Another thing to consider is, the stock transmission is the known weak link here. If you apply that kind of hp to your stock transmission, you will most likely find that it causes you some costly repair bills.

It depends on what you want out if it. However, everything has to work together, and wherever you gain something, you usually loose something somewhere else.

·
Registered
17 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
yeah, i hear you on the exhaust thing especially. im not a fan of duals onless its on a really modded motor that can actually enjoy it haha.

i have a single flowmaster on it right now and love the rumble of it..everyone that has been next to me or heard it always says "man, that thing sounds awesome." so im happy there. im gonna try an intake next and see how she does i think...i have one that should work perfect for it in my garage i took off of another vehicle a few months back and i havent done anything with...might as well put it to use, right?

i had a chance to go get a programmer a few months back...all i had to do was grab 150 bucks and meet the person to get it but my gf ended up in the hospital so i ended up not getting it...so im gonna look for another deal on one.

as to the list of things you put up at the bottom. everything is on the list eventually but i think i might start with the tranny. shift kit and a rebuild is looking like its in the near future more and more...though i dont like the shifting of it when going uphill...seems to not like to stay in one gear...kind of like it has trouble choosing what will work best.

as to the nitrous...ive always feared the stuff for the fact i know ill have it pushed constantly and will end up frying some rings a prolly alot of other goodies...

and the supercharger...i would love to have it but cant justify putting the like 4-7K on it so im not gonna go that route for now...

so what all options do i have with the tranny. swap?...rebuild it?. or should i just order an already built up one from fastman or something?

sorry to ask you so much but i love learning everything i can about new stuff and about the vehicles i have.

·
It doesn't need a Hemi
462 Posts
The only way you learn is by asking. The question I would ask is, how much power do you really plan to push through the transmission. If you plan on having the 350+ you mentioned, a simple rebuild would not do it for me. The transmission was weak from the factory, and a rebuild only brings it back to new standards. You would need to either find someone who really knows how to build up one of these units, or buy one already built from a known good supplier. I have not dealt with any of them, so others on here would have to help you. Either way, I believe you would be looking at well over 4 grand for a trans to take that kind of abuse. What differential do you have in your D? Is it four wheel drive, and what year is it?

One last thing concerning computer flash units. I have the Superchips for my engine. But the SC programmer is made to be used on a stock or slightly modified vehicle. Beyond that, the fuel table that is set in them will not do the extreme mods justice. If you plan on doing extreme engine mods, I would suggest getting the SCT programmer. You can get a vehicle specific flash with the SCT. But I understand that is really only effective if you have a wideband A/F guage installed in your vehicle. And that is another 300 bones. Power is very expensive, for the most part. Good luck.

·
Registered
17 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
again, thanks for all the help.

the tranny...I was figuring on around 3500-5000 or so for a decent one...so i was prepared for that.

the flash unit...for now shes gonna be stock so i think the sc will do with the premium tune for now.

i def. want to get a good bit of power out of her so i guess the list will be tranny first...so itll be a while till i get everything started off but as always...once i get started im not gonna be able to stop so i need to start saving and everything.

any recommendations on who i should talk to on the tranny purchasing?

·
It doesn't need a Hemi
462 Posts
I had a guy local do mine, so that wont do you much good. My rebuild was about 4500. There is a guy on here who goes by Tactransman, or something like that. Beyond that, someone else will have to jump in. I will only comment on things I know or have dealt with.

·
Registered
17 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
yea, my buddy and his dad build muscle cars all the time (about the only people i know that has done about everything.) but i never thought about them until just now.

i think ill call him tomorrow and just ask him if him or his dad could help me build it up if i pay them some.

might be a good way to get it done at a cheap price. they always tell me that if i ever need help to call em.

guess ill use my lifeline....haha

·
Registered
3,722 Posts
i want to build this trucks motor up to a good hp range...350-500...anywhere in there or higher would be wonderful...
"Wonderful"....500 or higher......how deep are your pockets?

For a built transmission a lot of people use:

http://www.apsprecision.com/ or Martin Saine at [email protected]

Dave's truck is hell on wheels. I've know Dave for a while and saw the truck a few months ago. It's still a work in progress. God knows how much he has wrapped up in it and how long it has been in various shops.

·
Registered
17 Posts
Discussion Starter · #15 ·
i looked a Heavy d's rig...man that is a nasty truck...id cry if i hurt that thing...its perfect no matter where you look!

my big thing is just i want to do like heads, cam, intake, power prog., headers, TB, intake man., roller rockers, and a few other things... and FOR SURE the tranny needs done. i would hope to be near 375-400hp at that point.

hey word hope...something always goes wrong of course haha.

now. about the trans... the 46 is 5 speed if im not mistaken...right?...if so, is it swappable and if so...how would that effect the power and gearing on my d.

would it be more responsive and better mpg's?

·
Registered
3,722 Posts
The 46RE is on the 5.9. You have the 44RE with the 5.2. The 44 is not as strong as the 46. Both are considered a 4 speed. 1st, 2nd, 3rd, OD. There is no 4th gear then OD.

I'd go over to dakota-durango.com or some of the othe Dakota R/T boards. You'll get a better gauge of power, dyno numbers, recommend combinations and cost.

You are not going to have 375-400. You are starting with 230. I've added 50-60 HP on my 5.9 with the usual bolt-ons which puts it around 300 motor dynoed at 246 at the wheels (5.9 is 245 stock and 200 at the wheels). Heads would not put me at 375-400.

Also what year is yours and how many miles? If you really are planning on adding all this, the engine should possibly be rebuilt.

·
Previously Micash21
2,802 Posts
the 46re is just like the 44re, except the gearing is different in 1st and i believe reverse. its got 3 forward gears and OD. you are going to be asking alot to get 350 HP out of a 318. its 230 at the crank stock. your looking to add 120hp just to get to the baseline you want. you will need more than a cam and heads for sure. i think the easiest way would be to stroke it. or just flat out pick yourself up a 408. its a stroked 360 pumpin over 400HP you can then change out throttle bodies, heads, put an exhaust on it, and supercharger it. that is the direction i want to go. rough number figuring have it at 550+ hp. all im waiting on is a bank to make a transaction error in my favor. LOL

·
Registered
17 Posts
Discussion Starter · #18 ·
as to the trannys. i appriciate all the help. as i said...not real up to date on the drivetrain of this truck just yet...got alot to learn.

now. my truck is a 99 slt with 57,000 miles on her. im planning on rebuilding if i do alot of motor work.

Neil F. i wasnt sure how much they claim each part will add. i was just throwing a number out there. i figured the intake would claim like most do and say like 10...but it would really only be about 5 lol...

i guess the biggest thing i want is a good throttle response and good pick up. the way the thing runs its like i have to almost floor it to get it to get going while rolling.

i wish someone lived close to me that could drive the thing and tell me if somethings wrong or if its normal. ive always driven cars and such so im not real good at determining what the thing should or shouldnt do or sound like.

·
It doesn't need a Hemi
462 Posts
Yours is a 99 with only 57,000. It must have been garaged for some time, or only driven down the block. Mine is a 99, and it has three times that mileage.

Real big hp numbers are important if you want to take it to the drags. The Durango is a bit sluggish in acceleration. Flash the computer, and make the engine breathe better, and you will see the acceleration you are looking for, without having to be in the 400hp range. As Neil F. said, it all depends on how much money you have to spend.

·
Registered
17 Posts
Discussion Starter · #20 ·
yeah. when i found it it only had 54000 on her...its in pretty much perfect condition except the underbody has some rust on her and the front end feels odd though...might be normal for them.

1 - 20 of 20 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.