DodgeTalk Forum banner
Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 19 of 19 Posts

· Registered
Joined
·
1,898 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hey there, I have an '01 1500 off road Ram with stock suspesnion. The front really sags and i want to level it out. Now money is really tight so i was thinking of the coil spacer.

I know you need to replace the shocks with a coil spacer. But if i got the coil sapcer, would i need to replace ALL FOUR SHOCKS? or could i replace just the front two and be fine?

Any other options would be appreciated.

Thanks,
Ethan.
 

· 01 off road ram
Joined
·
279 Posts
sup man, no you can do just the fronts, and i have also heard that some guys dont replace the front shocks because the factory ones work for 3-4 "s of lift anway so they arent maxed with the factory lift and can travel farther yet. but most do replace them, id say replace them if you drive on really rough roads or wheel it alot! and go with the 3" coil spacer, i used a 2" rough country spacer and there is still a 1" difference in height from top of fender well ,front to back, so 3" spacer makes the height to the top of fender well the same front and rear, i might buy a 3" and swap my 2" out, someday, but it def. looks better with the 2" spacer for sure!
 

· Big Green
Joined
·
8,340 Posts
I started out with the coil spacer and just usewd the stock shocks never noticed any problems rode fine. You will need longer shocks if you do any off roading as the shocks will limit the travel of the suspension and might cause the shocks to break.
 

· I disgaree...:)
Joined
·
2,021 Posts
You can use your stock shocks, but they are probably getting worn out by now anyway and they will limit you with a 2" spacer. I recommend new shocks for 4" of lift. I bought the spacers and Rough Country shocks from Topguncustomz.com for about $155 I think it was at the time, probably 4 years ago. Also, on my truck a 2" spacer caused the front to be just a tad bit higher than the rear. I put a ProComp shorty AAL in and it got the proper rake back. I have both the spacers and the AAL's still if you are interested in them. I would take $95 shipped for them.
 

· Registered
Joined
·
1,898 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
hmmm. i very well might.

So you are selling the spacer and AAL's? Shocks too? Let me check the funds but i am interested.

Thanks,
Ethan.
 

· Registered
Joined
·
1,898 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
If i can get my subs sold to this guy on DT then i will most definatly buy them. I was thinking of asking for them for xmas but i dont think my dad could handle buying from someone on here. He barely knows how to check his email...
 

· I disgaree...:)
Joined
·
2,021 Posts
360ram14 said:
hmmm. i very well might.

So you are selling the spacer and AAL's? Shocks too? Let me check the funds but i am interested.

Thanks,
Ethan.
Just spacers and AAL's, no shocks. I chucked them out when I put on my Fabtech. Cheapy shocks tend to rust pretty quick and look like crap. I will get a picture of them today for you.
 

· Right-wing nutjob.
Joined
·
371 Posts
Davcruz said:
You can use your stock shocks, but they are probably getting worn out by now anyway and they will limit you with a 2" spacer. I recommend new shocks for 4" of lift. I bought the spacers and Rough Country shocks from Topguncustomz.com for about $155 I think it was at the time, probably 4 years ago. Also, on my truck a 2" spacer caused the front to be just a tad bit higher than the rear. I put a ProComp shorty AAL in and it got the proper rake back. I have both the spacers and the AAL's still if you are interested in them. I would take $95 shipped for them.
I demand info on the ProComp shorty AAL!
Seriously, if you could tell me more about it please........I've got my truck levelled, but can't help feeling like it's a RED HAIR nose high at times. Perhaps my eyes are crooked? Or it's just from being stock for so long..........dunno.
Thanks!
SiD
 

· I disgaree...:)
Joined
·
2,021 Posts
SiD2500 said:
I demand info on the ProComp shorty AAL!
Seriously, if you could tell me more about it please........I've got my truck levelled, but can't help feeling like it's a RED HAIR nose high at times. Perhaps my eyes are crooked? Or it's just from being stock for so long..........dunno.
Thanks!
SiD
Not sure if they make one for a 3" wide spring pack. My truck is a 1500 which uses a 2.5" pack. Summit has the AAL's though, so you could check.
 

· Registered
Joined
·
1,898 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
Do you currently have the spacers and aal's for sale on DT? Im wondering because i dont know if there is a need to hurry and get the funds.

Thanks.

But i am REALLY interested. Just give me a a lil time.
 

· I disgaree...:)
Joined
·
2,021 Posts
360ram14 said:
Do you currently have the spacers and aal's for sale on DT? Im wondering because i dont know if there is a need to hurry and get the funds.

Thanks.

But i am REALLY interested. Just give me a a lil time.
No, not for sale anywhere, they have been sitting under my work bench for a year.

I also have my off road package coils, they are good for about 1-1.5" also. I will send them for $15 plus $15 additional for shipping if you want.
 

· Registered
Joined
·
1,898 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
I have the offroad package on my truck so im pretty sure i have the coils. But i will be getting funds soon, hopefully.
 

· I disgaree...:)
Joined
·
2,021 Posts
360ram14 said:
I have the offroad package on my truck so im pretty sure i have the coils. But i will be getting funds soon, hopefully.
Of course you do...I am a complete idiot...ignore me please. :help:
 

· Registered
Joined
·
1,898 Posts
Discussion Starter · #14 ·
haha, i cant tell you how many times in have done something like that.
 

· Registered
Joined
·
108 Posts
I just bought an 02, 2500 4x4, and noticed that the truck is not level either. Is this normal?

I measured to the edge of the rear fender well and it is 44" high, and the edge of the front fender well is only a little over 40" high.

Could this be a reason for very stiff steering problems also?

What should I do to raise the front without getting into a lot of money?
 

· Registered
Joined
·
1,898 Posts
Discussion Starter · #16 ·
Do what I am going to do...coil spacer.
 

· Registered
Joined
·
108 Posts
Thanks 360. BTW, Your mailbox is full.

I am a novice to mechanical applications, but from the posts, am I correct to assume it only will need the 3" coil spacers and no other harware?

Is it normal for a stock truck to have 3.5" to 4" higher in the back? Or is this something the previous owner may have done to it?

All the best, Greg
 

· Big Green
Joined
·
8,340 Posts
I put the 2" spacer on my 2500 and it sits level. You can't measure the wheel wells and compare from front to back. Stock a 2" will level it out. If you have a jack mark your front wheel well with a piece of tape measure that from the ground. Jack the front up by the axle until you like the rake from the side. Then just measure the place you marked it before and subtract the first from the last measurement. Thats the size coil spacer you need. I only say this as this is the only way to be sure what you need for your truck as everyone will have a different opinion. This will ensure it is where you will like it.
 

· Registered
Joined
·
1,898 Posts
Discussion Starter · #19 ·
Hey sorry i didnt realize it was full. I just emptied it.

If you buy the spacer from a shop it should include what you need. Some people think that after they put in a coil spacer, the front is a lil too high, so they buy an add a leaf to put in the back. But you should just do what elliot said above and do the measuring with the jack.
 
1 - 19 of 19 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.
Top