DodgeTalk Forum banner

Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
1,233 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I want to be able to control the RPM's with a hand throttle cable. There are a few reasons I'd like to do this.

• To warm the truck up quicker in the winter
  • If I've got a heavy electrical load, from things such as power inverters, winches, or lights
  • If I'm going to be idling for an extended time, I've heard it's best if you bump the RPM's up a tad

Could anyone give me a link to what I'm looking for?

·
Older, but no wiser.
989 Posts
Premiere Power offers a throttle lock for its onboard welder unit. As long as the unit is under the hood and not in the cab where it might get bumped and cause the throttle to stick while you're driving, I think one of their's would do the trick. You can find their stuff in the 4x4 mags. They have some killer hi amp alternators, dual alt kits ( I hear that 2- 100 amp alts are better than one 200 amp especially when at idle. Some Hi amp units wount put out 12v at idle but scream with juice at high R's), and in addition to the welder I think they offer on board air compressors made from converted A/C pumps. Good luck... Chris

·
Registered
192 Posts
i bought my 94 ram this summer and there was a switch mounted in the cab that i had no idea what it was for. well just the other day i must have bumped it to the on position and i could figure out why my truck wouldnt idle below 1100rpms. well it turns out this mystery switch is a hi-idle switch. it helps greatly with warmup times, usually the truck is starting to get warm within 5 minutes of idling. i will look into it more in the next couple of days if you want.

·
Registered
1,233 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Heck yeah, a switch like that would be perfect. I didn't think there'd be an electrical switch to control high idle, since it's all mechanical.

·
Registered
192 Posts
I will try and trace it out in the next couple of days and see how she works. its been pretty cold here. but like i said, all i have to do is flip the switch, then tap the throttle and it idles at 1100rpm. helps a ton with warmup time, for sure.

·
Registered
1,233 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
Hey I think I found what ya were talking about.. It looks like you can get a high idle solinoid off of an old chevy carb '75 or newer. You activate the solinoid, tap the throttle, and it will hold a higher rpm. I think this'll work great!

Attachments

1 - 8 of 8 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.