Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
48 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hello,

The last month or so the voltage will spike to the point that the "check gauges" light and my radar detector’s “high voltage” warning came on. Could a poor ground with the radar detector cause excess voltage requirements that would cause this spike? I do have it wired into the head console.

It only occurred once or twice while I was just driving, but seems to happen when the truck is cold (really cold like around 0 or so seems to do it) and when I use the power seats, but like I said it has happened a couple times while doing normal driving.

I was looking at the manual and the voltage regulator is built into the PCM, what about this battery heater circuit? How can I test this?

Also, the voltage meter in the truck is about ¾ to the right of the scale (the two lines, not red to red)

Thanks.

·
Registered
380 Posts
Alternator, or Voltage Regulator (built into your PCM) would be the first places I would look. Good luck!!

·
Got 2 Hemis
5,042 Posts
A meter will only show you what you already know, and you'd have to be really ready with the probes. Is it really a spike, or does some "gadget" just think it is? Guess you could rig a meter into the lighter socket and just leave it. The next time you get the spike, look at the meter.

·
Registered
48 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
A meter will only show you what you already know, and you'd have to be really ready with the probes. Is it really a spike, or does some "gadget" just think it is? Guess you could rig a meter into the lighter socket and just leave it. The next time you get the spike, look at the meter.
How bad do you think it is to have the occasional spike? Like I said, its only when I'm using the assc. AND it's cold outside. The spike never goes outside the two lines, but apparently it's enough to sometimes trigger the check gauges light and my radar detector.

Is there anything I can do to protect a sudden bad spike? I know this sounds silly, but a surge protector?

·
Great View
1,048 Posts
First check all connections between the battery and engine and alternator including grounds. A voltmeter will not catch a spike if its not that long of a event. a scan tool with graphing capabilities would work or a lab scope. Your radar detector has nothing to do with the problem. The normal charge voltage is higher the colder it is, a cold battery take a higher voltage than a warm battery.

·
Registered
48 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
First check all connections between the battery and engine and alternator including grounds. A voltmeter will not catch a spike if its not that long of a event. a scan tool with graphing capabilities would work or a lab scope. Your radar detector has nothing to do with the problem. The normal charge voltage is higher the colder it is, a cold battery take a higher voltage than a warm battery.
I'm glad to hear you think it's not that. I didn't think so either, but it was the only variable from the factory electrical system.

I think I will leave it until it thaws out here.

1 - 7 of 7 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.