Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
:VHOT: This may be the best on the maket it lacks a few things:

1) Technical support - never calls back. Never follows up.
2) Installation instuctions - DONT EXIST. Call and ask for a fax - see what you get (if anything).
3) Parts list that comes with kit does not match kit. Parts are missing. Other parts are for who knows what.
4) Be prepared to rip your ENTIRE intake out INCLUDING all of the "EAR DRUM". This means jacking the car, remove tire, removing inner fender and more!
5) Be prepared to try and figure out what goes where.
6) Jack chased with Sam Adams will help improve your mood during installation.
7) Fit is good.
8) Fitting the cone air filter element is difficult - take your time else you may damage it.
9) BE SURE TO CLEAN THE TUBES BEFORE YOUR INSTALL. MINE WERE LOADED WITH DEBRIS.

The big question does it work? Yes but not a $200+ improvement over the stock box with the K&N drop in.

They should just drop the "CAI" tube and use the factory ear drum. Then at least they would have a product that you don't have to rip your car apart to install.

Just my personal opnion.

·
Banned
302 Posts
Thanks LilTank, I am so glad I ordered the K&N AirCharger.
Hopefully I wont have the difficulties you have had with the Volant.

·
Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
K&N AirCharger and Others

I replaced the Volant with the K&N AirCharger. Installation was easy but a bit of work. I have also tried the K&N Typhoon, K&N Insert, and the Volant. Albeit the Volant wasn't a complete install but of the set the AirCharge hits the mark. This was the only one I could "feel" the difference with.

Both the Typhoon and the AirCharger don't muffle the engine noise like the Volant and the stock box. Both sound great. I do get an odd noise (like a tappet or ping) at times. I spoke to K&N about this and they said it is normal due. If you want more details on this let me know.

Two points on the installation of the AirCharger:
- Getting the rubber around the air box takes some effort.
- I did have a bit of trouble getting the air tube brace to align. In the end I
did not use the offset tube the way they intended. The brace sits against
the head, then the offset tube, then the bolt. Don't over tighten the
worm clamp on the brace that covers the air tube.

Have fun.
:cool:

·
Registered
348 Posts
It really blows me away the controversy over the volant and K&N. I have the volant installed and was happy with the product. I will give it that the install was not a piece of cake and the instructions sucked but the product worked. I would like to know how these two products could differ so much? I mean you can only cool off the incoming air so much and force it in so fast without a blower right? I would be willing to try a K&N but it sounds to me that they put the new one out to compete with the volant because the first one was not as good. Really they both are nice products and are both doing the same job and the difference between the two is very little if any. You only have so much potential to obtain from this add on, there is no magic with one or the other. I will give it to all of you out there you have gone to some extreme measures to prove that volant is not a good product and that K&N is the one to have. For me I have the volant and until someone can prove with side by side dyno comparisons that K&N is producing 10+ ponies more I will stick with the volant.

·
Registered
1,442 Posts
K&N has an AMAZING R&D/tech support dept....i have been so happy w/ them over the years...i can't say enough....

1 - 5 of 5 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.