DodgeTalk Forum banner

Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 17 of 17 Posts

·
Daytona #8457
773 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Anyone installed a Viper 5900 system (or similar) I'm about to get one for nearly 80% off of the original price brand new and I'm gonna have one installed by a certified dealer. I'm wondering if anyone has this system and knows how easy it was to install, what other parts I'm gonna need to make everything work other than what comes in the box. Also, what kind of install prices am I looking at?

·
Banned
1,875 Posts
I have the viper 5900 and got ripped off by the company that installed it, i got the system for a great price new from somewhere else and i believe they charged me $200 to install it... Def. a rip off. I think the only things extra that were needed were a couple resistors. Your gonna like it alot, I can remote start mine from pretty far away, i can do it from inside the middle of a movie theatre and inside the middle of my high school with no problems. The knock sensor it has is great too, my tailgate cant be opened without the alarm going off... and when the alarm goes off its awsome that the remote lets you know.

·
Daytona #8457
773 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
That's awesome. I'm DEFINITELY not gonna pay $200 to have the dang thing installed. It's only gonna cost me $150 for the whole thing as it is. does it have the window feature too? where it will roll your windows up and down from the remote?

·
Registered
2,627 Posts
DodgeGuy524 said:
That's awesome. I'm DEFINITELY not gonna pay $200 to have the dang thing installed. It's only gonna cost me $150 for the whole thing as it is. does it have the window feature too? where it will roll your windows up and down from the remote?
the window feature is an extra module that you have to install. i dont have the 5900, i have the 791...its pretty much the same thing except the 5900 has a much longer range. i would have gotten it if it was out at the time. i love my alarm, best investment ever. i paid $480 out the door installed and the installation took 4 hrs.

·
Banned
1,875 Posts
yep, just like stated above, the window feature is extra for the hardware as well as labor to install it, there are other extras to like the module that puts an invisible shield around your vehicle to alert you when someone is too close to it.

Edit: The downside to the remote start is that youll have to get use to leaving your heat on full blast when you shut your truck off in the winter months and leaving your air on for the summer months haha.

·
Registered
24 Posts
DodgeGuy524 said:
I'm an ex-installer and I used to charge 200 for the 790tx. You will usually pay for a good install, but make sure it's a "good" installer and backed by a company. Accidents happen. Hope I wasn't too presumptuous. Good luck with your alarm.

·
Registered
1,206 Posts
damn you all payed a lil. i know a couple of RAM owners that have payed over 800 for the 791x installed. Thats the reason i have yet to install an alarm

·
Registered
24 Posts
It all depends on the features hooked up (i.e. windows, custom triggers...). You should figure at least 65 to 85 per hour @ about 3 to 4 hrs. Just figure dealerships charge more than that.

·
Daytona #8457
773 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
well... I guess I can't complain. I am getting a $500 alarm system for $150.. Might just have to crack open that savings account and buck up. I was hoping to pay like... $150 for it to get installed. I mean.. I guess I'll have to pay for quality because I know I can get it installed for scrap but I want a certified installer to do it. Thanks for the ballpark ideas guys.

~Dodge Guy~

·
Registered
469 Posts
If you don't mind, whered ya get it and do they have more. I'll take one today.
Merry Christmas

·
Registered
1,251 Posts
girl i know paid 1200 for the alarm, install a 530t and an additional sensor and is having many probs with it

·
Daytona #8457
773 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
I'm buying it through my brother. He's getting it for me at 5% above cost. Unfortunately I can't get more... I already thought about buying like... 5 of them and then selling them to other people (just including shipping) but he said he'd get in some real trouble if he did for some reason. Sorry. But.. if you have any friends that work at Best Buy... you may want to ask them about employee pricing on it... might be worth your time... ;) ;)

~Dodge Guy~

·
Registered
469 Posts
I used to work or BB. Its a great discount for car audio, it's all marked up ALOT. UNfortunately I don't and my buddies that worked there with me don't anymore either. O well, enjoy it. He gets a discount on installation also. Half price. I can't remember for sure but you might be able to use it on immediate family. That will be your best and cheapest bet. At the very least, he can say he bought a new truck, but drives his other vehicle, thats why he wants the alarm, it sits at home.hehe

·
Registered
5,980 Posts
I have the 771 viper and I just love it. I didn't like paying for the install but sometime on something like that it's just worth paying the money to get it install. I have and 06 and man it took the installer thirteen hrs, that right thirteen hrs to install my viper, but that's is okay because I wanted it done right.

·
Registered
199 Posts
Yeah Im an installer and people bring me alarms all the time that they have paid $100 to get done that are done with t-taps, too small gauge wire for remote start, and a littany of other problems. I charge around $200 usually because of extra labor for bypass modules on remote starts(which you probably need). Skimping on alarm install is not the place to do it, so just consider it a good investment.

·
Registered
2,317 Posts
I laugh when people complain about install rates. We charge $100 an hour . But we also dont have people keep coming back. So i guess you have to ask yourself, if you get the install for dirt cheap what is your time worth if you have to keep taking it back? Not to mention gas prices for the return trips and if your left stranded somewhere. Oh i almost forgot all the time you sit and wait for the CHEAP guy to try and figure out what is wrong and even better how to fix it. You get what you pay for or for the cheapskates what you dont pay for. Remember your car is one of your biggest purchase in your life do you really want some IDIOT working on it for "HALF PRICE"?

Stepping off my soapbox.

1 - 17 of 17 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.