DodgeTalk Forum banner
Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
202 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
:help: Some of you may know I have been having alot of problems with my suspension on my 03 4.7L Ram Short Bed Standard Cab. Recently, on my last trip to the dealership, I was told that my truck has a "heavy duty suspension that should not be on my truck". However it is all stock. Every last bit of the suspension except for the shocks (monroe reflex) is how it came from the dealership. Becuase of this "heavy duty suspension" the dealer refused to do anyting to try and determine the problem of this super stiff ride. I looked at my work order and noticed the vechicle description states my truck is a "4 door". This got me wondering. I have tried every VIN decoder I can find and everything says 4 door ram. Now, I am wondering if dodge/chrysler screwed up the vin number (since I have a standard cab) did they screw up the suspension and possibly put the quad cab suspension on a standard cab truck. So this bring the first question:

Can everyone please post pics of there rear leaf springs (from the inside) or at least let me know how many leafs there are in total counting the lower (heavy load) spring that is bent down. Part numbers would be great also. Please post your truck info if possible also, so that I may compare.

Second and last question. Does anyone know what to do about this vin number issue, since I obviosly don't want to get pulled over and have a cop go all high and mighty and say the truck is stolen since the vin tag does'nt match the vehicle description.

Thanks, Any and all help would be greatly appreciated.

·
5 Years... 6 Dodges
25,280 Posts
The VIN in the dash matches the VIN on all the paperwork, right? But when you look it up, everything says it's a QC but you have a SB?

Now, I've only got two trucks to compare, but unfortunatly they're both 2500 QCs... but the 7th position on both of those is an 8 which is a QC. The 6th is a 2 which is a 2500 too just so you can compare it to what you have.

I don't have access to AllData like I used to or else I'd look up your info, but maybe this will help out some.

·
Registered
135 Posts
From 03 manual

POSITION INTERPRETATION CODE = DESCRIPTION

1 Country of Origin
1 = Manufactured By DaimlerChrysler Corporation
3 = Manufactured By DaimlerChrysler De Mexico

2 Make
D = Dodge

3 Vehicle Type
2 = Incomplete with Side Airbag
3 = Truck with Side Airbag
6 = Incomplete Less Side Airbag
7 = Truck Less Side Airbag

4 Gross Vehicle Weight Rating
G = 5,001-6000 lbs.
H = 6,001-7,000 lbs.
J = 7,001-8,000 lbs.
K = 8,001-9,000 lbs.
L = 9,001-10,000 lbs.
M = 10,001-14,000 lbs.
W = Buses/Incomplete Vehicles with Hydraulic Brakes

5 Vehicle Line
A = Ram Pickup 4X2
U = Ram Pickup 4X4

6 Series
1 = 1500
2 = 2500
3 = 3500 Less Dual Rear Wheels
4 = 3500 With Dual Rear Wheels

7 Body Style
6 = Conventional Cab
8 = Quad Cab Full Rear Doors

·
Registered
201 Posts
Intense-Dakota said:
:help: Some of you may know I have been having alot of problems with my suspension on my 03 4.7L Ram Short Bed Standard Cab. Recently, on my last trip to the dealership, I was told that my truck has a "heavy duty suspension that should not be on my truck". However it is all stock. Every last bit of the suspension except for the shocks (monroe reflex) is how it came from the dealership. Becuase of this "heavy duty suspension" the dealer refused to do anyting to try and determine the problem of this super stiff ride. I looked at my work order and noticed the vechicle description states my truck is a "4 door". This got me wondering. I have tried every VIN decoder I can find and everything says 4 door ram. Now, I am wondering if dodge/chrysler screwed up the vin number (since I have a standard cab) did they screw up the suspension and possibly put the quad cab suspension on a standard cab truck. So this bring the first question:

Can everyone please post pics of there rear leaf springs (from the inside) or at least let me know how many leafs there are in total counting the lower (heavy load) spring that is bent down. Part numbers would be great also. Please post your truck info if possible also, so that I may compare.

Second and last question. Does anyone know what to do about this vin number issue, since I obviosly don't want to get pulled over and have a cop go all high and mighty and say the truck is stolen since the vin tag does'nt match the vehicle description.

Thanks, Any and all help would be greatly appreciated.

First off with the dealer, they're just trying to get out of doing the work, since they don't make as much on warranty work. Call up DC corporate and start complaining to them.

About getting pulled over. As long as your paperwork matches and I'm sure it does, you'll be fine. The cop would have no idea how to decode the VIN to check and see if the bodystyle and option are correct.

1 - 5 of 5 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.