DodgeTalk Forum banner
Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 15 of 15 Posts

·
Registered
31 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I told you guys I would post a video of my good friends, Jimmy and Dale Smith's 2001 Dodge CTD Full-Race Pickup. I have been on their "Pit Crew" for the last three years and have traveled with them to alot of drag race events, including the last two years at the "ATS Truckfest" out in Denver, Colorado.
They live in Danville, Kentucky and are two of the nicest guys you would ever meet.

This truck currently holds the U.S. 1/4 mile record for a diesel pickup, having run a [email protected] MPH. However, the truck has gone even FASTER since that record, going [email protected] MPH this past fall. The engine was built by "Scheid Diesel" and the transmission by "ATS Diesel Performance."
The truck has well over 1,000 H.P. and can hit 100lbs of boost!:YO:

This video was taken at "Beech Bend Dragway" in Bowling Green, Ky.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=YaCbSfw_ySI

------------
96 Red Ram

·
Registered
2,448 Posts
Good video, thanks!
Man, that rascal leaves doesn't it?
Wonder what he 60ft's?

·
Registered
35,849 Posts
Thats hauling the hay..................

·
I don't give a...........
1,360 Posts
:YO: Man, there before takeoff it sounded like it was about to explode. That's a sweet truck!!

·
Senór Member
17,169 Posts
freakin awesome man:rck:

i think they oughta come down here to HRP, so i can watch em:D

and besides, the track is at sea level, so they'd run in the 8's:SPIN:

;D

·
Registered
35,849 Posts
Altitude makes very little difference in diesels.

·
Registered
35,849 Posts
Diesels aren't affected till after 6,000 feet and then the affect is minimal.

·
Registered
2,448 Posts
They bring their own atmosphere...turbocharger pressure.

·
Registered
31 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
Good video, thanks!
Man, that rascal leaves doesn't it?
Wonder what he 60ft's?
-----------------------------------------------
Clunk:

You guys are all very welcome. I am glad you liked the video.;)

As I recall, their best 60ft times have been around 1.35-1.40 but I will check and make sure on that for you guys.

·
Registered
258 Posts
Altitude does make a difference in a diesel engines, the only time it does not is when the engine produces it's own atmosphere i.e. a turbocharger or supercharger. This is one of the reasons Dodge had such a hit with their turbocharged engine. They were able to perform at altitude without losing power unlike the Fords and GM's at the time.

·
Registered
35,849 Posts
That is true but when was the last time you seen a non turbo diesel produced?

·
Registered
258 Posts
High compression non turbo charged diesel engines make excellent off road engines because they do have the torque and are much more responsive in the low end range vs. a turbo charged application which does take some time to spool.

While they may not be making non turbocharged diesels in new vehicles, there is still an application for them. Also I'm a fan of knowing how and why things work instead of assuming there's no reason to do something because it's just how it is now. ;)

1 - 15 of 15 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.