DodgeTalk Forum banner
Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 20 of 30 Posts

·
Registered
16 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
hi, i have a 05 ram 1500 4x4 with 5 speed auto, hemi.i have a vibration in the steering wheel. you feel it a stop. go ,all speeds, stopped, in gear or out,
it doesn't chaange, the local dealer cannot find anything wrong. the comuter says everthing is ok. the truck has 400 miles, i am afraid to drive it to far,
because you hands might fall asleep froom the vibration.
thank for any help!!

·
Registered
278 Posts
Fall asleep from the vibration? If it's that bad, and happenned since new, I'd ask for a completely new rig - that was shake free, of course.

In my mind, vibrating bad enough to make the steering wheel shake is COMPLETELY UNACCEPTABLE for a brand new, out of the box truck.

Go make them fix it, or get a new one - period.

·
Registered
278 Posts
Out of curiosity, what have they done to (un)diagnosis the problem?

Alignment?
Tire inspection/rotation/balance?
Inspect for faulty suspension components?
Inspect brakes?
Inspect ABS?

Did they drive the truck while it vibrated, then gave you the Coast Guard salute?

·
--> UNITY <--
2,417 Posts
jimboman said:
Fall asleep from the vibration? If it's that bad, and happenned since new, I'd ask for a completely new rig - that was shake free, of course.

In my mind, vibrating bad enough to make the steering wheel shake is COMPLETELY UNACCEPTABLE for a brand new, out of the box truck.

Go make them fix it, or get a new one - period.
I agree 100%

·
Registered
4,315 Posts
mrgoofy said:
hi, i have a 05 ram 1500 4x4 with 5 speed auto, hemi.i have a vibration in the steering wheel. you feel it a stop. go ,all speeds, stopped, in gear or out,
it doesn't chaange, the local dealer cannot find anything wrong. the comuter says everthing is ok. the truck has 400 miles, i am afraid to drive it to far,
because you hands might fall asleep froom the vibration.
thank for any help!!
I had something similar
Like a droning but mainly when I was stopped especially on a incline
Could feel it in the wheel and hear it like a sub woofer vibrating the truck
Had it at 7 miles on the ODO
Took it back
They said it was a bad CAT and vibrations were being transmiited thrtough the frame
700 today on the ODO and they replaced the CAT sysytem this AM

Still have the problem

They don't know what it is

Another poster somewhere said something about the bushings settling that causes the exhaust vibrations to be picked up.
He said the Dodge Service rep told him that was happening on the Hemis
I don't know what he meant by the bushings etc

·
Registered
16 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
they check the mounts, rebooteed the computer, i have 600 miles on the truck,it just started to do it ine day while driving around town,it is the same stopped or moving,it doesnot change with speed,rpm or any gear,on pavment,grass rubber,concrete the same. dodge has no answers !!! have had it at the shop 3 times nad no one knows what the problem is, have talk to other dealers, owners no help

·
Registered
1,330 Posts
That's a weird one. Possibly your A/C fan got some poop on it causing an out of balance vibration?

·
Registered
16 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
checked it .check the aliment on mounts all or, all sensers show everthing ok
you fell the vibrationwith engine cold,hot, air on air off, heater on heater off'
in gear out of gear, stopped, rolling,in town out of town, going up hill or down
pulling a trailer emty. the same, the vibration does not change pitch,speed or feel

·
All Around Great Guy
12,675 Posts
Have the dealer unhook the steering shaft from the box, then restart it and see if it goes away

·
Shark Hunter
6,398 Posts
Tell them your very unhappy with your new purchase and that they really need to do something NOW.
Depending on the response to that I would tell them in no uncertain terms that your not satisfied with the truck, you have returned three times with the same fault and unless they replace the vehicle you will persue a complete buy back through your rights under the " Lemon Law ".
A brand new truck should be a happy time not shake so badly your worried about losing circulation in your hands. I would ask them who did the pre delivery checks on it because it sounds like it should never have left the lot with the problem you describe. I know others here are trying to solve your problem with advice on what to check and that's real nice but this should not be your problem but the dealers. No need to fall out with them but do not let them get away with selling you a sub standard vehicle.
Good luck.

PS Everybody offering advice, don't mean to come across like an SOB I was just somewhat focused on the guys probs.

·
voo doo 1 I am buggin out
6,355 Posts
I agree with RTES...do not let them get away with selling you a sub standard vehicle unless it is something that you may have caused. 400 to 600 miles and has done it one day, so if I get this right it did not do it when you first drove the truck off the lot then. are you filling up with the same gas station? Have heard of water getting in the gas from a fill up so maybe the engine is idling rough but you say it does all the time, very weird, does the engine shake? when you look under the hood does anything look like it is shaking? maybe I am looking at something diffrent then everyone else. could be the Harmonic balancer on the engine as well.
I would let the dealership try to figure it out, if they cant fix it in a reasonable amount of time you could possibly lemon law ( dont gain anything fromt his though) the truck or demand a new one since it has so little mileage on it. when you take it to the dealership what are they writing down on the work order as the problem and what they have done to resolve it? If all else fails get the Service manager out there and show him exactly what it is doing, maybe that will shed some light on the subject.
Maybe even writing a letter to chrysler explaining what where when and how the truck is acting might get there attention and an engeneer involved to resolve your problem but make sure you state the mileage and that you are unhappy with the truck in its present condition.

·
Registered
4,315 Posts
THey tried to fix my vibes-drone twice ( New Cats and Fan )
I know it is in the exhaust system cause it does it at 600 rpms 1200 and 1800 etc Goes away at 500 700 rpms
It probably has something to do with the natural harmonic frequency of the exhaust pipe etc set up ( Regcabsb)

Anyhow after the second attempt ( fan ) the service manager said the rep will be in in several weeks and he will call me and and set up a meeting discuss what to do

They have been very cooperative and polite but can't fix the problem

A poster over at DTW had the same problem and had a brace welded to the exhaust by a shop at his cost and it fixed it

·
Registered
1,330 Posts
If it's the exhaust, yeah, mine gives a pretty good buzz at 1600rpm. It's starting to smooth out with 12,000 miles on it. It doesn't bother me but I could see how it would bother someone else. I had such bad vibrations in my '03 Cummins powered Ram, the exhaust buzz is almost a welcome buzz... It'll will smooth out as the miles add up. It'll also likely be worse in cold weather. Between the hydro formed tuning fork we have for a frame/chassis and the stainless exhaust ringing like a giant guitar string, it'll make some vibrations under there...

·
Registered
16 Posts
Discussion Starter · #14 ·
thank for your help you can feel it in the body, engine hood,doors,steering wheel, it never changes in engine speed or road speed. you can feel it in the motor, trans, transfer case, held on the exhaust pipe no difference, dealer has no idea and neither does chrysler,,,,,,,it just started doing it about 200 miles,while sitting at a stop light never changes

·
Banned
2,452 Posts
when im at a stop and hold the brake, i hear a sound that goes on and off every five seconds... fade in/fade out... like a vibration sound, really annoying... it feels like the rear diff (my guess)... anyone heard of this? i have 400 miles on it...

·
Registered
10 Posts
I have vibration too. It is at around 60-75 mph and worse on inclines. I took it back twice. The first time they balanced to front tires, the second time they balanced the rears and still the same crap. I need my truck for work so I can't have it out of commision for days while they try and figure it out.

·
Shark Hunter
6,398 Posts
Never changes in intensity with engine speed or road speed, wow that is real difficult to pin down.
The only things then would be things that run and not reliant on engine RPM or effected by travel. So what electric motors are running all the time, fuel pump, ABS pump should cycle unless it's faulty and the fan in your heating A/C is I believe running all the time at a low speed. Might be any of those but would be surprised if they put out enough vibrations, even when faulty to give the symptoms you describe. Harmonics are very strange things to track down.
As I mentioned before if I had a brand new vehicle that did this it would be the dealers problem, not mine.

·
Registered
16 Posts
Discussion Starter · #18 ·
hi, tried turning the a/c on low med. high, no change, had the electic fans kick on, no change. it does it from the time you statr the engine till you shut it off, no change insound,feel, or speed of the vibration i gave the dealer till the end of the month to
come up with a cure, or will will talk asbout the "lemon law" i like the power,ride amd looks of the truck, but i need something i can trust to drive.

·
Registered
4,315 Posts
Try pushing on the exhaust tailpipe

In mine you can feel it right through your foot
But mine goes away at 500 or 700 RPM

·
Registered
850 Posts
rtes said:
Never changes in intensity with engine speed or road speed, wow that is real difficult to pin down.
The only things then would be things that run and not reliant on engine RPM or effected by travel. So what electric motors are running all the time, fuel pump, ABS pump should cycle unless it's faulty and the fan in your heating A/C is I believe running all the time at a low speed. Might be any of those but would be surprised if they put out enough vibrations, even when faulty to give the symptoms you describe. Harmonics are very strange things to track down.
As I mentioned before if I had a brand new vehicle that did this it would be the dealers problem, not mine.
I like the fuel pump for this one.

1 - 20 of 30 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.