DodgeTalk Forum banner

Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
muddauber5.7
158 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I have a 2003 1500 QC hemi 4x4, with 40,000 miles and have noticed recently when towing my boat at low speeds up to about 45 miles an hour there's a strong vibration underneath truck. I checked u-joints on driveshaft and they seem fine. Thinking next that it must be the rear end. I've changed the diff. fluid also putting in the additive, but never pulled the cover. I'm sure from what I've read on hear that my clip is broken on my clutch pack, but has anyone had these symptoms from that problem? Or have any other idea? Thanks for the input!! Buy the way it does'nt vibirate at all when driving truck without boat.

·
Registered
35,850 Posts
Check the driveshaft to make sure the balance weight is still on it.

·
Registered
182 Posts
Check the u-joint. Could be a bad pin in the u-joint or out of grease. That is what happen to mine.

·
Registered
115 Posts
Does it vibrate when you let up on the gas or giving it gas or it doesn't matter? Try rolling down the road and putting it in neutral. If it still vibrates ONLY with the trailer being towed the tires on the trailer are bad.

·
Registered
228 Posts
It only happens when you're towing?

Are you sure its the truck?? Versus....the trailer?

It might feel like its under the truck, but if there's something wrong with the trailer ....it might transfer that vibration into your truck.

When was the last time you did any trailer maintenance?

·
muddauber5.7
158 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Well I checked driveshaft again and the balancing weights are there, the u-joints seem very tight,there's no slop in them. And there's no gear lube leaking around the pinion so in the next day or two I'm going to hook up the boat again and go for a ride to see if it's doing it only while under power or if it does it even while coasting but I did'nt think it did. Anyhow Thanks for all your input!!!

·
muddauber5.7
158 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
Well I hooked the boat up to my truck and went for a ride. It actually vibrates at low speeds and at high speeds. Took it up to 60 mph and it still vibrated, but when I took my foot off gas pedal it went away so I'm thinking it's not the trailer tires. It's there when under power or holding a certain speed. It seems to me that it must be the u-joints even though they seem fine. But with 40,000 miles on these factory u-joints with no grease zerts, don't you think I should start there?

·
Registered
228 Posts
Muddauber5.7 said:
Well I hooked the boat up to my truck and went for a ride. It actually vibrates at low speeds and at high speeds. Took it up to 60 mph and it still vibrated, but when I took my foot off gas pedal it went away so I'm thinking it's not the trailer tires. It's there when under power or holding a certain speed. It seems to me that it must be the u-joints even though they seem fine. But with 40,000 miles on these factory u-joints with no grease zerts, don't you think I should start there?
Not necessarily....

You're only getting these vibrations while towing??
I would tend to believe your u-joints are fine - or else you'd get the vibrations under normal driving conditions (not towing).

Do you have too much tonque weight on the truck?

I'm not necessarily talking about trailer TIRES - when was the last time you packed the bearings on your trailer axles?

Do you have alift on your truck?

U-joints are always the first thing people seem to think is the problem.....It could be a variety of things and since it only happens while towing, I'd suspect something that is related to the trailer itself or how you have it hooked up.

·
Registered
35,850 Posts
Can you try a different trailer? That may help you figure out where it is.

·
muddauber5.7
158 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
The boat is just a 19'er so the tongue weight is within reason, and I have bearing buddies on the trailor which I grease often. But I am going to put new bearings in it this winter while it's down cause I've only had the boat for two years and don't know if or when they were changed. And yes I was thinking of hooking up to my brothers trailor to see if it still vibrated, since his trailor is newer. Thanks for your help!!

·
Registered
182 Posts
Not saying that it is the U-joint, but I had some what of the same problem, and I thought that with only 46,000 miles the u-joint was ok to. They changed out the U-joint and when I looked at the old one there was no grease in two ends and a bad pin bearing inside. Just a thought. Hope this helps..

·
muddauber5.7
158 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
finman04 said:
Not saying that it is the U-joint, but I had some what of the same problem, and I thought that with only 46,000 miles the u-joint was ok to. They changed out the U-joint and when I looked at the old one there was no grease in two ends and a bad pin bearing inside. Just a thought. Hope this helps..
Yeah I'm going to change the u-joints on my rear driveshaft only for now with some greaseable u-joints, that's if it still vibrates after trying another trailor. And if new joints does'nt fix it well then the dealer can look at the rear end I guess. Since it does have the 7/70 powertrain warr. And to answer "Janster" there is no lift kit on the truck, everything's stock including wheels and tires. I also was thinking maybe a bad belt in a tire, but would'nt that vibrate even without a load? Appreciate everyone's input!!!

1 - 12 of 12 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.