DodgeTalk Forum banner

Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
58 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hello. I am a new poster at this site but check out the forums a couple times a week. I have a 99 durango slt+ 4x4 5.2l. The problem I am having is kind of hard to explain but I will do my best. When I am driving, at any speed, turning or not turning I get this weird vibration i can feel at my feet. It feels like a tire is rubbing or it feels like those grooves on the side of highways kinda. It does it more when I go from a dead stop to about 10-20mph then let off and just let it cruise. It feels like its coming from the front end maybe drivers side. It hasnt done it when Im braking. It does it randomly and for about 4-5 seconds. I am not sure what to check to see what this could be. I was thinking a wheel bearing maybe??? I dont wanna take it to a shop to have it looked at because I can bet they will try to fix stuff thats not messed up. But if I have to I will but I thought id try here first. Tires I have are 31's bf goodrich. If there is anymore info you need to take a stab at what this is please let me know. I checked all my fluids and they are all ok. Any help would be great! Thanks guys!

Joe

·
WORLD'S GREATEST TRUCK
4,435 Posts
Hey Joe, start with getting your tires balanced and rotated. Make sure you don't have too much air pressure in them.

·
Registered
58 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
I actually just got them about 1.5 - 2 months ago. I check the pressure every week. It has been fine till about 2 days ago

·
Registered
1,921 Posts
Suspect components are:

1) Wheel bearings
2) Ball Joints
3) CV axels
4) driveshaft u-joints
5) front pinion bearings
6) Loose brake caliper?

Some of these things should cause more of a whine or a clunk, but, for example, if your front pinion nut is loose it could cause an intermittent grumbling sound-- so it's worth checking all these things.

Before checking all this stuff though, I'd take a good close look at whether the tires are in fact rubbing on anything (especially if this has only been going on after installation of your new tires)-- I have 31" BFG All-Terrains and don't have a rubbing problem, but you never know if the tech knocked something out of position. Especially if you had an alignment done. Use a flashlight and look all around and behind the tires/wheels for anything that may be rubbing or any scuff marks.

Another possiblity, while I'm brainstorming would be a loose exhaust component that bangs around.

A friend of mine had a problem with an intermittent rattle that occurred while driving-- it seemed to be linked to pushing or releasing the accelerator, but also sometimes occurred going over bumps. The problem started just after a dealer had replaced his crankshaft position sensor on a recall job and the dealer denied any possible responsibility for the new rattle, but offered to diagnose it for a fee of $90.

After driving it like this for a couple weeks and worrying about it, he mentioned it to me and I had him drive the car up on some ramps so I could look underneath. I found a big 3-battery Mag-Light flashlight trapped between some suspension components and the exhaust-- the flashlight was dropped and forgotten by the dealer service tech when he did the recall service on the engine. When the engine would shake, it made it rattle against the exhaust. When he hit a bump just right, it rattled because of the suspension movement.

·
Registered
58 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Awesome. I am figuring it is something with the suspension. It didnt happen right after I got the tires put on, cause that was 2 months ago almost and this started happening less than a week ago. Ill check the tires for any damage or anything. I was also told to see if all my grease fittings are lubed up and ok. I am just gonna re-grease everything and while im doing that I will check all the things you listed out. It really seems like something on the drivers side front suspension, some kind of rubbing. I just did the brakes not too long ago so I guess ill pull the tires off and check the brakes out to make sure nothing is loose or not on right. Thanks for your suggestions and I will for sure take a look! Thanks man
Joe

1 - 6 of 6 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.