DodgeTalk Forum banner

Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Work in progress...
1,202 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I've noticed lately that my D has developed a vibration when she gets up around 65 and above. It is a low pitched vibration that gets louder when it goes over bumps or dips in the road. I was thinking it was something in the suspension, but it also gets quieter when I let off the gas. What would be the cause of the vibration. Then the last time I was on the highway, it didn't vibrate as much, but above 70mph it would have a loud droning sound like the exhaust was droning really badly. I've been wondering if I should have the dealer check it out but sometimes it's there and sometimes it's not. I have an oil change coming up so I might have it checked then...

·
Pimp On Sir Don
12,782 Posts
Check your driveline, ie CV joints, drive shafts, etc.

·
Banned
8,865 Posts
also check you tire balance. This is the most common cause of speed specific vibration. Next check susension and steering linages. Then driveline and diffs. Also trannies can do this. Good luck.

·
Banned
8,865 Posts
oh and check the wheel bearings too.

·
Work in progress...
1,202 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Ok so by check, what do you mean? Just look at them to see if they appear worn or see if they need grease or what? If it was in the transmission, that would make sense because the noise gets louder when I step on the gas. I never thought of that...

·
Banned
8,865 Posts
If you dont know how to check the suspension and steering linkage, you may want to get it checked at a shop. While the process of checking the suspension and steering linkage can be described on the fourm, the safety issues lead me to be cautious and recommend that you go to a qualified professional.

·
Work in progress...
1,202 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
That's kind of what I was thinking. Beyond looking to see if I can visually find anything thats wrong...I don't really know what I'm doing. The problem is, if I take a mechanic for a ride, it might not make the noise. I'll see what they say when I get the oil changed. Thanks for the help, canyon.

·
Banned
8,865 Posts
Most auto repair shops will do the evaluation for free. Try to visit at least 2 shops (3 shops is even better). Beware that many shops will have you replace perfectly good parts to boost thier sales. Try to get a referral from family/friends of a reputable shop they have had good experience with.

Before commisioning any repair work, try to have the shop mechanics show you on your vehicle what they believe your problem to be. Then come back to DodgeTalk.com and compare notes with the group. We should be able to weed out the bad apples - if there are any.

Keep us posted.

1 - 8 of 8 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.