DodgeTalk Forum banner

1 - 3 of 3 Posts

·
Registered
52 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I guess I should introduce myself. I was a member here years ago when I first had the 94 Ram !500 and the 90 Plymouth Grand Voyager. I've been running the van for about 10 years now and it's been a good beast. Very few need repairs. The usual wear items, Struts Ball joints Tie Rod ends , wheel bearings Axles.
My 1990 Plymouth Grand Voyager finally gave up. The inner CV joint on the drivers side blew up. I got it home and the part of the axle that goes in the transaxle won't come out. T ried every thing I thought might work. I even pulled the Passenge side and made long punch to try to drive the drivers side out from the other side. All I did was bend the punch around the differential center pin. I guess I'll have to drop the tranaxle out of it to fix it.
I bought a 1997 Dodge Dakota as a replacement. while I decide on the van.
The factory radio only plays poor am. The cassette won't take a cassette.
I once upon a time had a 1994 Ram 1500. I swapped out the radio in that for a Pioneer that played CD's. When I sold the Ram I kept the Pioneer.
I pulled the Pioneer out of storage and it was all wired as a plug and play in the Ram so I thought it should be the same in the Dakota. No luck. It comes on and Seeks and locks onto stations but no sound comes out the speakers.
I thought crap this things dead.
The old van has a Kenwood in it, so I pulled it out. and tried it in the Dakota, Again it seeks and locks onto stations but no sound.
This seemed strange to me so I tried the Dakota radio in the van and it played the same as in the Dakota. Poor AM.
I plugged in the Pioneer It played just fine, Tried the Kenwood, Played fine.
I looked at wiring diagrams for both the Dakota and the Van and the radio is wired the same in both. I just can't seem to understand why all three play in the van but only the stock radio plays in the truck.
Any Ideas on that anyone?
The transmission lost reverse and in forward it drives ok but it's not right. It shifts right up as far as 3rd but won't shift into overdrive.
I talked to a transmission place and they said it sounds like a broken reverse band. He said a rebuild was around $1700. I search on the net and found rebuilt trannys for about the same.
Used as i out of salvage yards are around $500. I found one salvage yard that has on but I have to pullit for $155.
I got a book on rebuilding the tranny and found it may be a bit more than I want to try myself. As you are tearing the tranny down about the last thing that come out is the reverse band. It takes a lot of special tools and a large hydralic press to get some of the sub-assemblies apart to replace clutches. Sounds Like a bit more than I want to try in my dirt drive way.
I guess I'll go pull the one and put it in mine. Sounds about the best way. This I can do in my driveway.
Thanks for listening.
Leo

·
Registered
52 Posts
Discussion Starter #2
In case any one cars I peplaced the tranny in the truck.
I spent the other day in the u=pull it yard and found a few things I wanted. Cables for the tail gate, mine were in rough shape.
A stereo, this one is an AM/FM cassette but is different than the one I have. The one I have has a 5 band equalizer and a joy stick balance/fader. The u-pullit one has the balance on behind the volume knob, the fader behind the tiuning knob. and a 2 band equalizer. I found it under a truck on top of a instrument panel, So it may have been wet. Once home I propped it up by a heat vent so it could warm up and dry out. After a day on the heat vent I took it out and swapped it into the truck. It works fairly well. Clear FM, AM not so much. Plays ok without egine running but with engie running, not so good.
The cassette player works. In the truck was the adapter that goes in the cassette player and plugs into the earphone jack on a CD player. I can play CD's through this aapter.
I found the rear speaker on the right wasn't working. I'm going back down to the yard to pick up a reciever hitch they are taking off for me. They way they have the vehicles paerked and on wheel stands the rar of the vehicklles are not very high up in the air. For the few bucks they chrge for pulling it off and the purchase price it still much less than buying new.
While I'm down there I'll try to get a speaker or two to replace my bad one.
I still want to figure out why the two after market stereos I have weon't play in the truck but play in my 90 van. That way I can put my pioneer steteo in the truck. I like that one. Untill then I do have a stereo that plays. I also have a lot of music on cassettes.
Thanks for listening and does anyone have any ideas why the stock stereos work but after market stereos don't.
Leo

·
Registered
52 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
After I got home from the salvage yard I tested the speakers I bought in the house. Jumpered them to a house speaker. Both played fine.
I took the truck apart enough to get the not working speaker out. The replacement was different. I took the speakers out of a club cab and they mount different than the regular cab I have.
Took my not working speaker inside and jumpered to the house speaker and it works fine. The problem must be in the wires.
I bought a cd vewrsion opf the factory book for the 97 Dakota. It covers just the 97 Dakota. It doesn't cover any other years or any Durangos like the Haynes book does.
It tells a lot more about ther 97 Dakota than the Haynes. It tells me that there was a standard radio that had four full range speakers, one in each door and ywo behind the seat.
There was two upgrades. One has AM/FM xassette with a 5 band equalizer, one has a n AM/FM with both a casstte and CD player with a three basnd Equalizer. My truck has the AM/FM casstte with the % band Equalizer. The salvage yard replacement was the standard version.
The up grades have a 100 watt amp as well as extra speakers.
In stead of the full range speakers in the doors there is a woofer and a tweeter. The rear speakers are coaxial speakers, all around better speakers. Need them for the 100 watt amp. The amp is located behind the right side kick panerl under the dash.
The cd book tells about this in in great detail. Using the cd wiring diagrams I figured out how to wire my aftermarket stereo so it turns on this factory amp. It was easy, just had to hook the remote output on the stereo to the input wire going to the amp. Hooked the two blue wires together in the adapter harness.
I did this change and now the aftermarket stereo plays very well. I like haveing the CD player in the truck.
I still have to check the wiring for the not working speaker. I also think I'll swap out the door woofers for the coaxial speakers I got at the salvage yard. This new set up reallly crank up the volume.At this higheft volume the right ride doof woofer sounds bad. Possibly has a tear or something.
I have the other speakers, it only tyakes a bit of time to swap them out.
The Cd book gives me detailed precedures to check the not working speaker and wiring. I'll have to hope for a warm day to get out and do the testing.
The cd book was worth the $28 I spent for it.I was szearching for them on Ebay, mopst were $69 or more. Found this one at $28 and got it.
hanks for listening. Still haven;t fixed the van, but might in the spring.
Leo

1 - 3 of 3 Posts