DodgeTalk Forum banner

Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
1 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Have you heard of the valve springs in the 2004 or older model year Hemi 1500's having a problem? One broke while I was on vacation - luckily the mechanics I took the truck too were able to find the problem. Just wondering if anyone else has had the problem? :gr_patrio

Thanks for your help!!

·
They call me Radio
4,809 Posts
About 4 months ago, I broke one while on the road and all sorts of hell came from it. No clue how it happened but going 75 mph down the road, it jsut broke, and things piled up during the slow down. Ended up doing so much damage that the computer fried and I had to get a whole new set of springs. Luckly, everything was under warrenty but supposedly the bill was going to be over 3k...

·
Valdez Racing Team
13,913 Posts
...can you tell us what you feel, see, or hear when a valve spring breaks? want to know what to look for?

·
ASE approved
8,862 Posts
well see thats odd were you guys running a cam? as i have 32,000 miles on my truck andi installed a cam at 14k miles and have not had any problems at all and i have an 04 too.

·
They call me Radio
4,809 Posts
no cam mods here. It just up and broke. Dealership said they had seen it a few times on 04s.

When it broke, I started throwing soo many codes that I dunno what it actually felt like. I did hear anything either, the truck just instantly started acting up, kinda like running out of gas. What did happen that the truck felt like it was starving for gas and had no back pressure. The truck pretty much just died but I could keep it running if I hit 4k but I quickly shut it off so not to cause more damage.

·
Registered
2,616 Posts
I wish I knew what your build dates were for your trucks who had the broken springs.
I thought at some point in 04 that DCX changed the springs. In fact, It thought this problem was more prone to the 03's.
If at all anything, I hope that this does not happen, especially when the warranty runs out on the drive train. You may as well rebuild the whole top end of the engine with much better parts at what the dealership may charge for the OEM parts.
What was the mileage when you r spring(s) broke?

·
They call me Radio
4,809 Posts
My springs went out at 33,400

The build date is 7-03. The sticker on the door doesn't have a day. Anyone know where I can find that?

·
They call me Radio
4,809 Posts
Forgot, the springs went out at 28,000.

·
2004 Black_Hemi_QC
1,688 Posts
Mine was built on my birthday April 04 after I factory ordered it. I have 60,000 kms on mine now and not a problem other than the EGR getting replaced under warranty. I have extended coverage on mine to 160,000 kms.

·
Registered
2,616 Posts
O.K., you had one of the early 04's as they changed over from the 03's. Mine was ordered October 29th 03 and was built sometime in early november. I received it Dec 1st 03. I am praying my springs hold out.
You would think that DCX would still do something about it such as a recall on the spring breakage even though you go over the mileage for the warranty. There are only so many that this would occur. Its called customer loyalty.

1 - 11 of 11 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.