DodgeTalk Forum banner
Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 5 of 5 Posts

· Kilroy
529 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
My brothers 97 ram sport had 2 oil coated rear plugs.
i was initially thinking valve seals as the truck has
125k on it but then i read that it could be the plenum.

how can i find out for sure before he spends big cash?

he said they charge $600 to replace the seals at the dealer he uses.
i told him we could do it cheaper but he doesnt want to
do it.

· Chicks dig bench seats.
1,885 Posts
take off the intake and open the throttle body flanges. look inside with a little compact mirror. look to see if it is dry or if there is oil sitting at the bottom. If there is replace the plentum gasket.

· Registered
67 Posts
There is a real easy way to determine if your plenum belly gasket is blown causing oil consumption......Find your pcv valve disconnect it and plug the vacuum line disconnect your breather tube that goes to the air box put your finger over the hole that the pcv valve was installed in and put your other finger over the breather hose if the plenum belly gasket is blown you will feel vacuum at the breather hose if it isn't blown pressure will build in the breather hose hope this helps if you have any questions email me at [email protected]

· The R is for RELAX...
35 Posts
I agree with Regnew, I just had to replace my plenum pan...swapped it with a Hughes Engines plenum set-up. You can get one from www.hughesengines.com. Many of the people on this site use their stuff, and its worth it. BTW, my dealership quoted me $500 for the same job on a '96 with 124,020 miles and I got it done at an honest & local shop for less than $300. But from what I hear, it's not too difficult to do this yourself.

1 - 5 of 5 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.