Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 20 of 28 Posts

·
Registered
1 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
There's no chance that I'll get a diesel. :VHOT:

So I have to get a v10, I like the way Dodges look but I don't know how they perform.

Has anyone had any problems or any good stories with there big old v10? (The year I'm looking at is a 98 and a 2000)

·
Registered
276 Posts
I don't have much dodge experience either, as I am a new Ram owner. I can only state what I have heard from others regarding the V10.

In short, it's a great engine, excellent torque, very reliable. The only downside (as I am sure you know) is the fuel mileage is very poor. When your feeding 488 CI, there's not much you can do. The other comment I have heard others state is that they sound different with an aftermarket exhaust. Very different from the V8.

Sorry, but that is as much as I can help you with.

Good luck!

·
Love my 66 monaco 500
1,239 Posts
My '96 4X4 only has 85K miles on it but outside of an owner issue (I mixed coolant that clogged the radiator, I had cooling issues until I had the radiator rodded out) It runs very well and has been perfectly dependable.
I pull a 10K# trailer and it does that very well.
The fuel milage isn't as bad as it could be. I just got 14 on the highway last weekend.
It gets about the same economy as my '79 carbureted W150 4X4 360 4bbl got.
It survived my 2 sons teenage years! My middle son (now 21) admitted that he knows that the truck has a 112 MPH speed limiter LOL.
The ride is stiff, the only minor draw back IMHO.
Scott

·
Registered
57 Posts
Over 400 ft lbs of torque from 1-5K rpms with the peak between 2-3K at 450 (factory rating at the crank) Pulls hard from 0-105, never hit my speed limiter because it occured to me :IDEA: that getting a ticket for going 55mph over the posted limit might be expensive.

As for pulling a trailer, it had no problem pulling bundles of steel weighing over 13,000 lbs. Mine has the camper and towing packages and a Tekonsha brake controller.

·
Registered
344 Posts
Just curious, why wont you get a diesel?

·
Redneck IT Guy
49 Posts
Bowhunter88 said:
Just curious, why wont you get a diesel?
My guess, and I could be wrong, is price. When I bought mine last may I reckon I paid between 8 and 10 grand less for mine than I would have for the same truck with a diesel fully loaded, 18k on it. Doesn't matter how expensive gas gets, I get 9-10 mpg wandering around, and i've got the power to regularly pull 15k with it, it's still cheaper in the long run to drive this than a diesel.

He might also be somewhere where diesel is hard to come by, though that's unlikely.

Or he might just plain not like diesels. I'm very happy with my v10. I like the sound of a diesel, but one of the things that I like about my truck is that the only time I ever hear it is when i'm at WOT. It sounds great at WOT, but I don't have to listen to the drone of the motor at 65 mph on the highway.

I love my v10, and I certainly won't be replacing mine for a long long time.

·
Registered
488 Posts
love the v-10! thirsty but its a strong and runs real smooth even with 126,000 on it. trans shifts funny when not pulling though. need to get that looked at. wish it was a stick.

·
EPA's Worst Nightmare
1,673 Posts
I love my V10. Tons of power. Gas milage could be better but it's not much worse than the V8's get. Out here diesel is $4.85 a gallon and gas is $4.09 so gas is the cheapest way to go. I know a lot of people that have diesel trucks and will not drive them due to the price of fuel.
I don't pull much weight just snowmobiles and trailer. I would always average 10 mpg. I'm sure it's a little higher since my speedo is off due to the tire size change. I'm happy with that since I tow up steep hills to get to the mountains and never have a problem speeding up them.
The only problem I've had is I lost 2nd gear. I'm sure it was my fault from the way I drive.
As for price it's the cheapest truck to buy for the amount of power you get.

·
Registered
7 Posts
have a 98 v10 with 156K - has been fantastic for hauling heavy equipment and materials. love the truck, love the old body style. hate the 10mpg! from what I'm reading, there's not much I can do about it. the fuel pump just went out (who the hell designs a fuel pump in the tank?!) but otherwise she's been great. anything else I can do for her to get better mpg? has anyone ever swapped out a v10 motor for something that gets better mileage? or is that a bad idea?

·
EPA's Worst Nightmare
1,673 Posts
Removing my cats got me an extra 1 1/2 mpg. I hit 13.4 mpg after that, then I did some mods, bigger tires, and lift which took all my gains away and some.
The only engine that can be swapped is the diesel. I'm sure any engine can be put in there but the diesel uses the same trans. I'm not sure what years. V10's only get about 1-3 mpg worse than a v8 and some are the exact same so it wouldn't be worth down grading in my opinion. I drive mine very hard and average 8-9 mpg. Which sucks since gas is now $4.38 and going up every day.

·
Registered
7 Posts
Thanks - guess I'll quit complaining about the 10 because I DO LOVE how she runs and gas is only $3.92 out here. I might try removing the cats, but since I won't give up my bigger tires or keep my foot off the gas, it probably doesn't matter.

·
Registered
57 Posts
dirtroadgirlie said:
Thanks - guess I'll quit complaining about the 10 because I DO LOVE how she runs and gas is only $3.92 out here. I might try removing the cats, but since I won't give up my bigger tires or keep my foot off the gas, it probably doesn't matter.
:thatfunny

It's not that easy to keep your foot off the gas! I can get good mpg (14+) but I can't drive 55 for very long.

98QuadCabV10: didn't the SCT have an economy tune also?

·
EPA's Worst Nightmare
1,673 Posts
He said the tune was basically a stock tune and there wasn't much he could do to save any fuel. The way I drive the V10 I can't believe I get over 5 mpg.
The last time gas was under $4 a gallon was like 1 1/2 months ago. Washington has the 2nd or 3rd highest prices in the united states. This sucks.

·
Registered
125 Posts
Love the V10, very solid. Original owner, 75K miles, beast pulls strong throughout all RPMs.

·
Registered
46 Posts
been looking for info on the big 10 as I'm look to purchase a 2001 quad cab short bed 4x4 with a 5-speed and 91000.thousands less than a diesel.seems they are quite reliable and strong from what I've read so far.does any of yall have any thoughts on mufflers on these rigs? I personally love flow masters,have a original 3" 40 on my 95 1500 5.9 and a delta flow 40 on my wife's 5.2 grand cherokee.don"know what they sound like on the 8.0.sound is important to me.been told to look at magnaflow.only heard a puss stang with a magnaflow.didn't like it,sounded tinny.anyone have advice?

·
Registered
125 Posts
very strong, very reliable. there's not a lot of options for catback systems -- magnaflow, gibson, maybe a couple others, or you can install your own flowmaster. I used a Borla intended for a 98 and it sounds/looks/works good. the v10 has its own distinct tone, it'll never sound like a V8.

·
Registered
46 Posts
thanks for the info asinine.would you say your borla sounds aggressive?theres not a lot of information on exhausts for these trucks.and mufflers aren't cheep to try out.

·
Registered
125 Posts
I think the Borla sounds aggressive, but it's not really deep nor resonant like duals flowmasters on a V8. The V10 has different exhaust pulses, it's been 8 years and it still sounds odd to me.

·
EPA's Worst Nightmare
1,673 Posts
I have the flowmaster 50 series. It sounds good till you get over 2,000 rpm then it's loud and odd. I'll try to get a clip of it if I drive this week/weekend.

·
Registered
356 Posts
i love mine, 99 quad 4x4 with a 5 speed. has over 250,000 and still runs strong. have only tuned it up and done the CAI, still have to do the exhaust and chip. gets around 12.5 around town(3:54 gears with 33" tires). will pull as much if not more, and blow away my buddies 93 ctd. always wanted a ctd, but sticking with the v-10.

1 - 20 of 28 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.