DodgeTalk Forum banner

Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
24 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I have a 2001 2500 4x4 x-cab with a v10 totally stock approx 175,000 kms.
Also I have a 2000 durango 4x4 with a 4.7 approx 110,000 kms.

My question is , Which truck should have more "seat in the pants " power ?
They both run fine and provide good milleage its just that the durango will smoke the tires easilly but the v10 does not. Do I have a problem with the v10?

Thanks for the insight

·
Registered
216 Posts
has your v10 ever been tuned up? what gear ratio does the v10 have VS. the durangos?
does the v10 have larger than stock tires? if so what size? IMO you really can't judge quickness by being able to smoke the tires, due to alot of inconsistancies among vehicles,
but I know my V10 with 35in. tires, 3.55 gears will roast em, but mine isn't completely stock either, I would say give it a tune up, check your catalytic converters(2) for rattles and replace if neccessary, come to think of it, if the cat hasn't been replaced, that's probably it, hope this helps

·
Registered
216 Posts
oh yeah and how many miles is 175,000 KMS, (don't feel like doing the math)

·
Registered
2 Posts
V10 Power

I have a 96 2500,V10,Auto, 2WD, extended cab, 3.55 with limited slip. Bought it new. It never has been what I would call a barn burner in acceleration. It just seems to get there with great haste for a 6500 lbs vehicle. It feels like my Dads 99 1 Ton van w/360 ci would beat it in a 1/4 mile drag race with both vehcles unladen. But load both vehicles up to max GVCW [vehicle and a trailer] and the V10 will leave the 360 behind. It has to be wet to get the rear tires to spin. Not like my 72 Challenger w/340 I used to own. Lucky to get 5000 miles out of a set of rear tires. I think the V10 is quicker than it feels, it is just very suttle, almost bisiness like if you will. Regards, Gary

·
Registered
291 Posts
Let me tell you. The diesels with 3.55 gearing feel sluggish more than the V10. 3.55 gears are not good for performance and most the V10s I have seen have 3,55 gears. Add in bigger tires and it gets less responsive.

·
Registered
1,098 Posts
10cylinderRAM said:
has your v10 ever been tuned up? what gear ratio does the v10 have VS. the durangos?
does the v10 have larger than stock tires? if so what size? IMO you really can't judge quickness by being able to smoke the tires, due to alot of inconsistancies among vehicles,
but I know my V10 with 35in. tires, 3.55 gears will roast em, but mine isn't completely stock either, I would say give it a tune up, check your catalytic converters(2) for rattles and replace if neccessary, come to think of it, if the cat hasn't been replaced, that's probably it, hope this helps
like he said i would check your cats the v10 is not ob2 so if your cats are makeing noise gut them out or just take them off i know i can smoke my tires all day long if i wanted to

·
Registered
24 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
My 2001 dodge 2500 v-10 has about 110,000 miles. Has stock tires /wheels
sized LT265/85 R16 and rear ratio differential of 3.55:1

Very concerned about this "plugged cats" exhaust possibility. What tests could I try to prove a restrictive exhaust problem? Keep in mind my cruising power seems more than enough to pull a 35 foot bumper hitch trailer at 65 mph with the overdrive "on". Just wish I had some tire roasting capability.

Thanks for all your interests and responses!!!

·
Registered
216 Posts
well when you're Idling does your exhaust have a rattle? if not when the engine is cold get under there and tap on the cats and see if they rattle. if so you've probably solved the problem.

·
Registered
24 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
Surprise Surprise! Went to look at the cats and they not there! Been previously removed. I bought the truck from the original owner and He never mentioned that the cats were removed. I have to wonder what I should do next with the exhaust. I have one large muffler with two inlets and one outlet . the muffler inlet pips are feed with sections of straight exhaust pipe where I believe the cats would have been. Should I change spark plugs, wires, air/fuel filters and then go to true dual exhaust? Not sure what to try next.

Thanks for the advice so far . I know there is more power in there.

·
EPA's Worst Nightmare
1,673 Posts
The V10 would win no problem.
V10's have what is called a "Torque management system". What it does is cuts the power of the engine when it shifts so it doesn't destroy the trans when shifting. I have heard reports on some earlier V10's that didn't have that system that just twisted the crap out of the drive line.
I can smoke my 33's easy with the 3.55 ratio. 31's are even easier.
What you should do is change plugs and wires as suggested earlier. Adding a CAI should help it also. The fuel filter is in the tank and part of the fuel pump so it's not changeable. You could also check fuel pressure.
For the exhaust on mine I just stuck a dual in single out muffler on. I've heard true duals on V10's sounds funny if you don't add a H pr Y pipe.
I am in the proses of looking for prices on the k&n intake for the V10. I am going to e-mail this company to see if they will lower the price if I can get a few more people to buy the kit from them. Let me know if anyone is interested.

·
Registered
30 Posts
I dont know about the v-10 being faster...I have driven the 4.7 dakota with a 5 speed and OH MY GOSH...thats a hot little motor...Ive seen em on the street keep up with a GT mustang from a light! Now hook a trailer to both of em and the 10 will take it no problem.

·
Registered
1,098 Posts
98QuadCabV10 said:
The V10 would win no problem.
V10's have what is called a "Torque management system". What it does is cuts the power of the engine when it shifts so it doesn't destroy the trans when shifting. I have heard reports on some earlier V10's that didn't have that system that just twisted the crap out of the drive line.
I can smoke my 33's easy with the 3.55 ratio. 31's are even easier.
What you should do is change plugs and wires as suggested earlier. Adding a CAI should help it also. The fuel filter is in the tank and part of the fuel pump so it's not changeable. You could also check fuel pressure.
For the exhaust on mine I just stuck a dual in single out muffler on. I've heard true duals on V10's sounds funny if you don't add a H pr Y pipe.
I am in the proses of looking for prices on the k&n intake for the V10. I am going to e-mail this company to see if they will lower the price if I can get a few more people to buy the kit from them. Let me know if anyone is interested.
watch out for the number 5 and 7 spark plug wire dont get them to close or you will have a miss fire

1 - 12 of 12 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.