DodgeTalk Forum banner

Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
New To The Site. I Have A Totally Stock 2002 3500 Dually V10 Auto, With 55000kms(still has remainder of 7yr/115,000kms powertrain warranty). Just Coming Off Original 3yr Warranty. Several Questions:
1) What Modifications Can I Do To Increase Gas Mileage And Performance???
2) When Pulling Small Trailer And Small Truck Load, Won't Hold In O/d On Small Highway Uphill Pulls(transmission Always Kicks Down). Seems Like Lack Of Power???
3) Has Had A Minor "shudder" On Take-off From A Stop, Since Day 1. Dealership Redid Driveshaft And Totally Checked Out The Driveline And Has Told Me Several Times, That There's Nothing They Can Do..... Normal. I Read An Technical Service Bulletin From Gm, Applicable To Their "duallies"(with The Same Problem), And It Suggested Replacing The 2 Piece Drive Shaft With A 1 Piece Driveshaft And That This Problem Would Be Resolved. Anyone Experience This Too???
Looking For Some Advise Thanks - Rookie User

·
Got Horsepower?
182 Posts
Hi welcome to the site. I have a 2001 QC LB 2500 V-10. I experience the same "minor shudder" you are experiencing. I too have the long 2-piece drive shaft. My truck has 35,000 miles. I was concerned and checked everything from the transmission back and found nothing. It is by no means severe but slightly noticeable.
As far as fuel mileage and performance, the usual bolt-ons seem to be helping people. People are claiming 1 mpg with a KN FIPK, likewise with exhaust work. All i have done is relocate my IAT to the air cleaner, run synthetic oil, and run a lot of air pressure in the tires. Mileage is between 11.5 and 13 country roads.
The transmission is just doing what it supposed to do. You may be getting the converter locking and un-locking confused with shifting. I turn off O.D. always when towing. With O.D. off the truck should shift into third and then the torque converter should lock up a few seconds later. This results in less shifting and more importantly less heat in you transmission.

·
EPA's Worst Nightmare
1,673 Posts
Glad to see another V10 comming to this site. For my V10 I cut the cats off put a flowmaster muffler on and put some headers on. That got my gas milage up from 6mpg to 13mpg (Highway). No noticeable gains in performance but it helped my gas milage a lot.

·
Registered
1,098 Posts
i got a 99 v10 true duals home made cai and guted cats and get around 10 or 11 mpg

·
EPA's Worst Nightmare
1,673 Posts
adodgeman4life, do you have a picture of your home made cai? I am going to do the same and would like to see how yours looks.

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
re: replies

Thanks for all the inputs........ I too, would like to see pics of the homemade cai.
Also, "moparracer"; where did you relocate your iat too?? you said you relocated it to the air cleaner?? do you have an aftermarket faik???
Anybody try the "twister" spacer that goes under the throttlebody??? my performance parts warehouse says its a good addition too, and only costs about $90.00.
I'm gonna do the exhaust thing first, and go from there. I'll keep in touch on this thread. Thanks again all.

·
Registered
1,098 Posts
i dont have a scanner so no i dont i used the stock air box and some (i think 3 inc ) pvc pipe ran it over to the other side and put a filter on it its nothing big but i just could not see paying 500 dollers for one @ the parts store as far as i know k and n is the only one who makes one for the v10 (gas) sorry wish i had a pic but ihope this helps

·
EPA's Worst Nightmare
1,673 Posts
Don't get the throttle body spacer they are a waist of money. They will not increase your power or gas milage at all on the V10. Save the $90+ and fill it up with gas.

·
Got Horsepower?
182 Posts
duallyv10 said:
Thanks for all the inputs........ I too, would like to see pics of the homemade cai.
Also, "moparracer"; where did you relocate your iat too?? you said you relocated it to the air cleaner?? do you have an aftermarket faik???
Anybody try the "twister" spacer that goes under the throttlebody??? my performance parts warehouse says its a good addition too, and only costs about $90.00.
I'm gonna do the exhaust thing first, and go from there. I'll keep in touch on this thread. Thanks again all.
I still have the stock air filter housing, I relocated it to the housing just beside where the tube comes in. I'll snap a picture of it soon and post it so you can see exactly where I put it. I liked the mod, the truck seems to maintain speed easier(not a big problem with the V-10) and seemed to get slightly better mileage.

·
Got Horsepower?
182 Posts
Duallyv10 I drilled and tapped a hole in the front of the air cleaner housing. Some people just drill a 1/2 inch hole and screw in the IAT sensor, me being a machinist, I drilled a 7/16 hole and tapped it 1/4 pipe. The wires were long enough so there was no splicing. Just plug the hole in the intake with a pipe plug.

Attachments

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
Re: Mods

Thanks For All The Feedback. I Have Cutout The Cats And Put The Iat In The Air Cleaner Just Like Moparracer Did. Seems More Responsive And I Think Mileage Is A Little Better Too(too Soon To Tell). Up Here In Canada(edmonton) Gas Is Now 87.9 Cents Per Litre (or About $3.96/gallon), So Gas Mileage Is A Bit Of An Issue Here. Am Going To Look At Eliminating The Airpump Too, But Anyone Have Any Ideas How To Eliminate The Pump, Or Do I Have To Manufacture An Idler Pulley To Work Somehow??? Thanks For The Great Pic Of The Iat Sensor Moparracer!!!

·
EPA's Worst Nightmare
1,673 Posts
What I did with my air pump is re-route a hose from the pump to the air cleaner. Can't really tell if it made any difference in power or not. You can also gut the pump so there is nothing moving inside of it.

1 - 12 of 12 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.