DodgeTalk Forum banner

Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 15 of 15 Posts

·
Registered
3,041 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I replaced my stock battery with a Optima Yellow-Top. I had a newbie cashier so I didn't get charged the $8 core charge. Is there anything I can do to make it good again??? The DMM reads 12.6V.

Or just chunk it?

·
Registered
261 Posts
I replaced mine too recently with the optima deep cycle. I kept my old one cause the battery costs more than the $10 they would give me to dispose it, and theres nothing wrong with it.

I have two buddies that have ram's too, so they might be able to use it.

·
RAW RAM 1500
261 Posts
use it for the trolling motor in the boat

·
Registered
4,186 Posts
HEMI05RAM said:
I replaced my stock battery with a Optima Yellow-Top. I had a newbie cashier so I didn't get charged the $8 core charge. Is there anything I can do to make it good again??? The DMM reads 12.6V.

Or just chunk it?
Even if the voltage reads fine the battery can still be bad. The only real way to know if a battery is good or not is to have it load tested. You can take it to AutoZone or AdvanceAuto and they can test it for you. I'm curious though, that voltage reading is actually low for what should be a fully charged battery. A fully charged battery should be somewhere close to 14.4volts.

·
Registered
4,186 Posts
BTW, if you are just going to chuck it the best idea is to take it to a parts store for recycling. Usually they will give you a few bucks for the core anyway. FYI, I worked at battery shop for about a year.

·
Registered
3,041 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
I decided to take it up to Autozone and get the $8 for it. It bought me dinner!!!!

My new Yellow-Top was 12.8V new on the DMM. I hope I don't have any problems with this battery like I did on my stock one. The electric radiator fan was just "eating" it and causing it to die.

How long would it take for a battery to die with the engine off?

·
All Around Great Guy
12,675 Posts
Hours

·
Registered
3,041 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
hemi1569 said:
OK - that is good news. That means my old battery was weak and was dying within 30 minutes while I went inside Wendys to eat.

·
Registered
4,186 Posts
Just to be on the safe side you may want to go back to autozone and have them check your alternator to make sure it's putting out a full charge.

·
Registered
4,186 Posts
Your alternator can also show to be putting out 14.4 volts but not be putting out any amperage. No amperage = No charge.

·
Registered
3,041 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
Is there a certain test I ask for or will they know?

·
Registered
4,186 Posts
Just tell them you need your charging system checked.

·
Unregistered User
3,491 Posts
When I swapped the battery in my Jeep for dual red-tops I had a hell of a time getting rid of my battery. None of the parts stores wanted it, b/c I bought my batteries online. The county recycling center didn't want it either. Just so happened that one of the guys at the recycling center needed a battery and mine was still good.

·
Registered
3,041 Posts
Discussion Starter #14
redramhawgfan said:
Just tell them you need your charging system checked.
Thanks....will do!

·
Registered
3,041 Posts
Discussion Starter #15
lassenloop said:
When I swapped the battery in my Jeep for dual red-tops I had a hell of a time getting rid of my battery. None of the parts stores wanted it, b/c I bought my batteries online. The county recycling center didn't want it either. Just so happened that one of the guys at the recycling center needed a battery and mine was still good.
I would just leave it at one of the stores and leave. What are they going to do? Throw it away?

1 - 15 of 15 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.