DodgeTalk Forum banner

1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
10 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
New member here so please take it easy on me.
I'm in process or restoring 1984 D150 Rifleman truck and noticed big wobble in my steering wheel. Once I got it off and removed turn signal plate this bearing pretty much fell off. based on what I found out here and other sites, mopar doesn't really make this part any more. Someone without tilt, suggested some bicycle bearing that works, but this one is a bit different.
Would anyone know part number that I cab use or any other alternatives? Thanks.

Attachments

·
Registered
56 Posts
Ok been there done that. Cant swear by this bc my tilt column is from a 78 d150. Good news is that these columns are similar or actually came from GM. You'll notice that the wiring harness plug is 4 or 5 inches long and flat like a comb, You should be able to find replacement parts more readily for the gm stuff. Unfortunately I don't have any part numbers bc I replaced the first one in the 90s and then that one a friend did for me several years ago. You might check with flaming river, ididit or the other big column company. Also check locally if there's a guy that does steering column repairs for the police, dealerships etc. May ask someone at a speedometer repair\ calibration place. Network locally or go to junkyard and find some chivies to desecrate!
BK

Sent from my SM-N960U using Tapatalk

·
Registered
10 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Ok been there done that. Cant swear by this bc my tilt column is from a 78 d150. Good news is that these columns are similar or actually came from GM. You'll notice that the wiring harness plug is 4 or 5 inches long and flat like a comb, You should be able to find replacement parts more readily for the gm stuff. Unfortunately I don't have any part numbers bc I replaced the first one in the 90s and then that one a friend did for me several years ago. You might check with flaming river, ididit or the other big column company. Also check locally if there's a guy that does steering column repairs for the police, dealerships etc. May ask someone at a speedometer repair\ calibration place. Network locally or go to junkyard and find some chivies to desecrate!
BK

So I tighten up 3 bolts down below but I think my issue is entirely different. Can you please take a look at the video I just uploaded.
Its not really the column wobble but a steering wheel pin itself..

·
Registered
56 Posts
Crazykgb, check the site www. Steeringcolumnservices.com for diagrams and parts info. Im not an expert but the lower bearing or support could also be broken, failed etc. You should remove the while column from the truck and inspect the lower half. The center shaft is supported by bearings upper and lower as you can see in these photos. The only two ways I can see the problem you have, the bearings or the actual shaft is broken but that would be pretty impossible I think barring an accident.
Hope this helps
Brian

·
Registered
56 Posts
Another thing I'll add is given the age of the vehicle it is a really nice thing to have a freshly rebuilt column my truck is so much more enjoyable to drive now without all the slop in it. I actually have a new steering gear that I'm looking forward to putting in to further improve this steering. My steering box is original to the truck and it's a 79 so it's got probably half a million miles on it. Brian

·
Registered
10 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Another thing I'll add is given the age of the vehicle it is a really nice thing to have a freshly rebuilt column my truck is so much more enjoyable to drive now without all the slop in it. I actually have a new steering gear that I'm looking forward to putting in to further improve this steering. My steering box is original to the truck and it's a 79 so it's got probably half a million miles on it. Brian

I think you are right. I was tearing down the column even farther (until I realized I don't have a pivot pin tool on me) and this came out from the bottom. Looks like lower ball bearing part and it looks all dry and chewed up. Do you think I should just rebuild entire column rather then buy lower and upper bearings? What price range should I look at for 84 D150 with tilt?

·
Registered
56 Posts
I'd call the company I mentioned in my post to at least get an idea on the cost of them rebuilding it. If money's tight then you could probably the lower part from them and reassemble what you got.
Brian

·
Registered
10 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
I'd call the company I mentioned in my post to at least get an idea on the cost of them rebuilding it. If money's tight then you could probably the lower part from them and reassemble what you got.
Brian

It depends. I just don't know how long Im going to keep this beast. I love it, but wife saying otherwise. I have 9 cars and have to rent a hobby shop to keep my toys away. I have to sell something but I can't :( Besides my daily drivers I have 61 MK2 Jag, Land Rover Disco, Men Cave RV Im working on, a bike. Plus my son is home from college with his car. I'm in bad bad situation.

·
Registered
10 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
1 - 10 of 10 Posts