DodgeTalk Forum banner
Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
244 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Anyone else have there upper Ball Joint go bad yet in the Upper Control Arms in the IFS?

Anyway just so know I went to get an alignment the other day and they would not do it due to the ball joint being bad. Sure enough I grabbed the tire and there was lots of Play in it when it was on the rack.

I figure Ball joint no big deal it happens, well the only way you can replace the ball joint is to buy a whole new upper control arm, it is built in.

Going to try and replace tonight should be easy at first look?

Anyone else do this yet, if so what did you torque everything to?

·
Registered
244 Posts
Discussion Starter · #2 ·
just FYI it was relatively easy took some doing to get the old ball joint out used a pry bar and sludge hammer.

ball joint puller and pitman puller we tried did not fit.

I still have steering wheel vibes I would say it is 85% better though. I am thinking it is just my tires though (hopefully).

·
sans sanity
1,565 Posts
HEMIjerdelt said:
Anyone else have there upper Ball Joint go bad yet in the Upper Control Arms in the IFS?

Anyway just so know I went to get an alignment the other day and they would not do it due to the ball joint being bad. Sure enough I grabbed the tire and there was lots of Play in it when it was on the rack.

I figure Ball joint no big deal it happens, well the only way you can replace the ball joint is to buy a whole new upper control arm, it is built in.

Going to try and replace tonight should be easy at first look?

Anyone else do this yet, if so what did you torque everything to?
What sort of angle do you have your front shafts at?
You have that 4" lift but did you crank the bars a bit as well or are the half shafts horizontal?

I'm curious because i beat the snot out of my truck off road and have replaced alot of parts over the last few years but no ball joints or tie rod ends. I sacrificed a bit of ride height to keep my CV angle horizontal with no rake at all.

·
Registered
244 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Wow cannot believe this thread came back.

I don't have the bars cranked at all. I think the ball joint just wore bad, it has been like 4 months and the new one is fine.

Anyway the only issues I have had with this truck is that ball joint, cv boot, and a front shock broke. All relatively Minor I suppose. I dont wheel it as hard as I used to I have a Jeep TJ now and wheel that mainly.

I do some Sand driving still though, in fact I just switched to Truxs STS tires.

1 - 5 of 5 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.