DodgeTalk Forum banner
Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 11 of 11 Posts

· Registered
3,024 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I have an 05 HEMI and need to upgrade my battery. But what kind of COLD CRANKING AMPS and RESERVE CAPACITY do I need? I got quite of bit of accessories that go to the battery, so my guess would be the highest I can get.

I am looking at a Optima Yellow-Top and they vary with COLD CRANKING AMPS from 650 to 750. RESERVE CAPACITY ranges from 120-150. What numbers do I need???

Any help would be awesome!!!

· Registered
3,024 Posts
Discussion Starter · #2 ·

· C HEMI GO
1,996 Posts
I bought a battery at Wal-Mart of rmy ram that was like $45 and had over 900 amps. I would pay $200 for a 750amp battery. When your car is running, you are running off of the alternator basically anyway, the battery is just to keep your electronics alive when parked and for starting. I've bought $200 batteries and $30 batteries and while your $200 battery has a 2 year warranty, you could buy a new wal-mart and put 3 "spares" in the back of the truck and still have more cash in your pocket. Plus I think the wal-mart battery is either a 2 or 3 yr warranty as well.

The only other battery I suggest is the ones at pep boys (duracell or energizer) which have like a 3yr free replacement/7yr prorated and cost like $75.

· C HEMI GO
1,996 Posts
Also I've overhauled and serviced batteries before. No matter how fancy they name it, there isn't much too a battery. It's like a Peanut Butter & Jelly sandwhich. You can make one at home for 50c or buy one at a high dollar restarant chain for $50 but they're all basically the same. The only difference is the quality of workmanship, some materials and warranty. They all taste the same to me though.

· Registered
506 Posts
For Piece of Mind just get the highest that you can get. The Optima Yellow-Top is worth the money, it's probably the best battery on the market.

· Registered
3,024 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
So a 750 amp will work fine?

· Registered
3,024 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·

· Registered
506 Posts
750 should be plenty, you'll be happy no matter which one you get

· Registered
3,024 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
Awesome. Thanks for the help guys!

· C HEMI GO
1,996 Posts
adamsredlines said:
Before you get that, go to Walmart and look for the Maxx-65. Its got like 1000 Cranking amps/ 850 Cold Cranking amps. Costs under $60 and is pro-rated for up to 9 years (3 year free replacement).
Glad to see I'm not the only one thinking this way.

1 - 11 of 11 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.