DodgeTalk Forum banner
Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 20 of 23 Posts

·
Unregistered User
3,491 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
You know the old addage, if it sounds too good to be true, it is. Well, I never learn. I bought a superchips programer on ebay and thought I was getting a deal, when really I was getting ripped off.

I bought superchips programmer on ebay, it was listed as working for 98-03 Dodge Rams all gas V6 and V8 engines. Turns out that this guy doesn't consider the 4.7L to be a V8 b/c it doesn't work on the 4.7L. I also plugged into my truck to see if I could power up the unit and find out if it's vin locked or not. And it is.

So, my question is: Can I send this into superchips and get unlocked and updated to work on the 4.7L? If so, what sort of fee would they charge?

I have tried contacting the seller, without any luck. I have dispute open with Paypal, but I doubt I'll ever see a dime of my money back. So I'm trying to see if I have any options left on the table.

·
Banned
524 Posts
find out what exactly it's for and re-sell it on ebay....but complain to everyone possible (paypal, ebay) and see what you can get

·
Registered
28,791 Posts
I think you are pretty much screwed. I dont think they can reprogram it to work on a different engine, but they can update the software for the engine it is made for.

·
Registered
2,616 Posts
The Hypertech isn't VIN locked.

·
Registered
362 Posts
TREP R/T said:
The Hypertech isn't VIN locked.
Who said anything about a Hypertech?

"Superchips Tuning for the 4.7L Magnum powered Dodge Trucks, SUVs & Jeep Grand Cherokee Part # 3715 with serial # 1044871 or higher only"

That is direct from Superchips website.

Superchips will not unlock a VIN locked programmer, or at least they never have that I have heard of.

·
287 cu inches of pain
1,137 Posts
They could reprogram it but it will cost almost as much as buying a new one that has the programming you are looking for.

Andrew

·
Registered
2,616 Posts
Just making a point!

·
Registered
37 Posts
?? My hypertech locks vins. I sent mine back to hypertech and they had to reprogram it for me. I had it back in about 3 weeks. I also bought it on ebay, but luckily mine was from a dealer. Sounds goofy huh?

·
Registered
320 Posts
I bought one on ebay that was vin locked. Called Hypertech and they said they wouldn't reprogram it for me. How much did it cost? Maybe I should try again.

·
Registered
9,819 Posts
Yeahh If its Vin Locked then He just downladed the SC programming and sold you his stock programming... I dont think SC will re-program it back for you because thats hte reason they VIN lock it, to keep you from sharing the programer with multiple people.

You need to get that SOB back for ripping you off. What was his feedback score?

SPEED SAFE, AIR RAM

·
Registered
1 Posts
Lassen...file a complaint with EBAY...also make sure you have a copy of the auction page....print it out and save it. If you paid with paypal...you can also file a complaint with them...and finally if you used a credit card...you can stop payment and get a refund. You were definitely sold goods not a described. I would personally email the seller and inform them that you plan to file all these complaints unless he is willing to allow you to send it back and get a full refund.

·
Unregistered User
3,491 Posts
Discussion Starter · #13 ·
I stopped using my credit card for paypal payments b/c it is not protected against fraud. Paypal will not protect your purchases and you credit card company considers it as a payment to an individual. Or at least that how it was 3 years ago when I got ripped off. Ever since I got ripped off like that 3 years ago, I have started using my checking acct b/c paypal says they insure that payment.

Lets just hope they will. I have had my complaint open for a few days now.

BTW: I have been ripped off 3 times now in 6 years of ebay use. Not too bad but I just feel stupid. Each of the 3 times I have been ripped off, I had a gut feeling I was going to be ripped off. B/c it has always been on the deals that are too good to be true. Guess I'll stop looking for the killer deals.

·
Registered
9,819 Posts
That sucks... I have been using e-bay & PAY PAL for over 5 years now and Honestly I have never been ripped off... I normally ask 20 questions before I bid... If I dont like the responce or the amount of time it took to get a responce I dont bid PERIOD. This has kept my winnings in good order. My first purchase was an Edlebrock Intake for my PONTIAC... I did not ask any questions and just bid blindly.... when I got the intake I learned I should have asked questions... allot of them. I took it as a learning experience. I now ask any questions that I can possibley think of... But if somone is trying to RIP you off they are going to lie either way... Man I feel for you bro, I wish you luck in getting your funds back.

SPEED SAFE, AIR RAM

·
--> UNITY <--
2,417 Posts
Wierd......... That sucks. I highly doubt Superchips can do anything for you. All you can do is file your complaints and wait and get on the seller's A$$ - I would be going ape-$hit on him, cause I'm sure you got a good deal, but was still prob a good chunk of $$$. And I was actually told that it is easier to get your money back when paying with a credit card. That was from a guy that ruins a local ebay store(they sell your goods, then tak 40% - Rip off!!)

I too have been using both eBay and Paypal for a while with all positive experiences. And I too bought my superchips off eBay - and was soooooo worried about it being vin-locked, but it wasn't and was legit all the way.

But, go figure as was talk about this I just bought a rim for someone off eBay(doing them a favor) for a ford explorer, and it accidntently got shipped to NY - the worst part is that I was tracking it, and it was at the UPS right near my house before the destination got changed. But lucky for me the seller is great , and alway is answering my emails, I even got his phone #

·
Registered
4,451 Posts
where does the joker live you bought it from, what is his screen name?

·
--> UNITY <--
2,417 Posts
Josh Brown said:
where does the joker live you bought it from, what is his screen name?
YEAH!!!! If he's close enough to one of us, he might get a visit. I'd do it for ya, if it was close enough and give him a good :nutkick:

·
Registered
628 Posts
Sucks that you got burned....., good luck getting something back from this clown. It would seem that the SOB knew what he was doing.

When I got my SC's I got it from a local Miami dealer that also lists on ebay. I was worried that it might send an error code, so I picked it up from his shop for $320.00 + tax. lassenloop, don't let this keep you from getting this mod anyway. It will make a big difference in the performance of your 4.7L. Good luck.

·
Unregistered User
3,491 Posts
Discussion Starter · #20 ·
Well, Paypal refunded my money. They couldn't get ahold of the seller either. So now I got my money back and I have this paper weight on my hands. Guess I'll try contacting the seller again and see if he wants it back.

1 - 20 of 23 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.