DodgeTalk Forum banner
Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
40 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I've posted on here a couple times about my vibrating while braking dakota (06 CC 3.7 2WD). Bought the truck new in late July.

At around 1200 miles (which is approx 2 weeks of driving for me) I took it into the dealer for brake shaking/shuddering. They decided to replace the front rotors and pads. They also "trued" the rear rotors. That took care of the problem for about 2 weeks (or roughly 1200 miles).

The shuddering came back. I waited a week or 2 before taking it back to the dealer as I wanted the visit to coincide with my first oil change. It now has roughly 4000 miles on it. This time they replaced the rear rotors due to "excessive run-out". I drove it home last night and drove it in this morning. The shuddering is gone. Time will tell if/when it comes back.

My theory here is that the brakes are probably a bit undersized for the job. This truck probably weighs as much if not more than the F150 I traded in. The front rotors on that truck were huge compared to what's under the Dakota. I put 20's on my truck and I think the extra weight of the wheel package is simpy amplifying the problem. Where I'm having this issues at 1200 and 4000 miles, most others may have them at 10,000 or 15,000 miles. I'm afraid at 10K and 15K, if you were to take it to the dealer, they would probably write it off as a normal wear item. It will be interesting to see if there is a trend.

The good thing for me is that since I drive so much, it doesn't take long to see if the problem is actually fixed. Who knows, maybe I just got a bad set of front rotors AND rear drums from the factory...Coincidence???

What do you guys think?

·
graythang
262 Posts
A factory rep told me that run out on the rear drums because of the axial was the cause and fix on 2X4 only. They said that 4X4s and TRX4 have never had this problem. If they corrected the run out in the rear you may have a fix. Yes the brakes are too small for the truck. This is true for many makes and models and has always been a problem with the Dak especially with the V8. The brakes are the same no mater what the configuration and weight. They simple get way to hot very quickly.

1 - 4 of 4 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.
Status
Not open for further replies.