Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
1 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I have a 97 Ram 3500 I would like to upgrade to PIAA
Xtreme White light bulbs to increase night visibliity has anyone had success with this or am I inviting a possible problem with over heating the headlight housing, wiring, etc. ?

·
Registered
86 Posts
PIAA is nothing but Euro light jacked up in price. Literally. Find a set of Eurolight ultra whites. They cost about 25 bucks here in canada. PIAA here in canada for the same set of bulbs is 75-100 dollars more. All your paying for is the name, they dont last longer, nor are they brighter.

Aftermarket bulbs have never given me a problem. A guy i work with had some aftermarket bulbs that melted his headlight casings (Ford Focus), not sure what brand. Ive never had this problem and ive used a wide variety of bulbs on diffrent vehicles..

·
Registered
69 Posts
I agree with Tires, the PIAA bulb is really a rip off. I have them in my truck, yes they are a bit brighter but not much.
What I would like to know is if Optilux's illegal 9004 are brighter then the legal 9004's. Anobody tried them?

·
EPA's Worst Nightmare
1,673 Posts
I've put those high performance lights in my brothers truck (01 s10 blazer). They weren't those exact bulbs but were similar. They were suppose to be = to a 100 watt light and blue or white light I can't remember for sure. After installing them let me say I'm glad they are not mine. Can't see anything when it rains or at night. It picks up animals eyes real good though. Looking at them they look real bright and dark blue but they are not really bright.
If it's for looks get the blue or white ones but if you just want to see better get a higher watt one of the same color range. Lets say you have a 50 watt light, then don't go over 70 watts to be safe with wires. I have 100w in my car with no problems. If you afraid of melting the wires then get the highest watt you can and install a relay.

·
Registered
2,040 Posts
The PIAA's are a rip off. That's nutz paying that much for a light bulb. Look at the SilverStar's. Several of us are running them, they're a HUGE improvement over stock.

When you're looking around for aftermarket light bulbs, you need to look into the "temperature light output" or something along those lines. You'll see some of the lights that say "5000k" output. Others say they're "7000k" output. The 7000k, or any numerically higher rating is going to be brighter. Stay away from the bulbs with the really dark color tint on them, regardless of color.

What you need to stay away from are the true HID lights. The lights that come with their own ballast, etc. Those will melt housings in a hurry that aren't designed for them.

·
Registered
454 Posts
I have Nokya's in my truck. They are 7000k 100 watt low beams / 120 watt high beam and the difference over stock is like night and day. I believe I paid $25 for them. They have been installed for 2 years without a bulb failing yet.

In the past I had a set of the Silverstars and these blow them out of the water when comparing the two.

Here's an example, just not the exact ones. I bought mine at a local speed shop:

http://cgi.ebay.com/ebaymotors/9007-95-02-Town-Car-Nokya-Arctic-White-Headlight-Bulbs_W0QQcmdZViewItemQQcategoryZ36476QQihZ006QQitemZ160053159118QQrdZ1

1 - 6 of 6 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.