DodgeTalk Forum banner
Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 20 of 21 Posts

·
Inertia ROCKS!!!!
12,164 Posts
Hmmmm helo-pilot we'll let YOU test it for us!! :D You seem to be good at testing new tuners or Superchips updates....go get em man!!! :D

·
Registered
624 Posts
this thing sounds pretty neat. the only problem seems to be getting it tuned. i would like to see some dyno #'s and maybe get a price on it.

·
ASE approved
8,859 Posts
i dont have the time to check it out right now but i would like to know moreabout this thing. anyone know what the price on it is?

·
Registered
1,652 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
I saw a website selling it. For the plug and play tuner (not hardwired), software and associated cables to hook it to a laptop, 1 standard tune and 5 custom tunes was around $1000.

Hmmmm helo-pilot we'll let YOU test it for us!! You seem to be good at testing new tuners or Superchips updates....go get em man!!!
Maybe once the warranty expires since it is hardwired.

·
Registered
1,024 Posts
A friend has this setup on his WRX wagon and he likes it. Very simple programmering, his was a P&P install though. It allows alot of adjustment. He even has a tune for 100oct race fuel :)

I've been curious how much power us N/A guys can pick up with a good tune on an otherwise stock engine. Maybe I should start saving a few dollars huh?

·
Registered
23,005 Posts
I was curious about them as well. I forgot who the parent company is, but they featured him on Spikes powerblock a few weeks back. He had a custom mustang built up and they showed his company and then I saw a commercial for Unichip with them dynoing a 5.7L magnum I think.

Damn, I can't think of the manufacturer though. But personally I would wanna wait until a plug n play module came out.

KB

·
Registered
624 Posts
1k. i'd rather get a cam or gears for that price. it seems like this would be beneficial if you were going to run a really big cam, ect.

·
Registered
23,005 Posts
oh yeah, what I also thought was funny is the tuner case itself. When they showed the commercial during powerblock, it was in the exact same Red case as the Superchips tuner. Someone else told me that Banks uses the same case now as well. I know Red is awesome...especially flame red...but it it just one company that makes all these generic cases or what?

KB

·
Registered
42 Posts
Hmm... It only connects IN LINE to your wiring harness (sensors) and you stock PCM.

The ONLY thing it can be doing is intercepting signals like the MAP and similar and feeding slightly different variations. It can't change redline or anything else. And it can't even deviate the signals too much, or you will get a MIL which the Dodge PCM seems to be unmerciful about when connecting things.

$1000+ is frigging crazy for something that probably costed $20 to make. The wiring harness probably costed them more to make than the tuner.

For $1000 somebody better sell a REAL stand alone. One that controls everything. Fuel map tables, timing, REV LIMITER, etc.

$1000 would buy a pretty nice intake, cam, and some head porting!

·
Registered
1,652 Posts
Discussion Starter · #14 ·
From the website:

The Unichip can also control:

Variable cam timing switch-over points
Electronic boost control
Water injection
Override speed limiter
Drive additional injectors
Raise your rev limiter
Control progressive nitrous control with retarded timing
Provide launch control on turbo-charged applications
Remove the alternator load under prescribed conditions
Replace mechanical ignition system with mapped ignition
Optimize timing and fuel map settings

Unichip has 256 RPM sites between 500 RPM redline and 208 load sites between zero throttle position and wide-open throttle position. This equates to 53,248 possible adjustments for fuel and a further 53,248 adjustments for ignition timing.

·
Registered
908 Posts
sounds like an interesting piece....i would be willing to try it out, hell i will even make a P&P harness assembly for the company, if they let me test it and keep it free of charge:D

·
Registered
42 Posts
helo-pilot said:
From the website:

The Unichip can also control:

Variable cam timing switch-over points
Electronic boost control
Water injection
Override speed limiter
Drive additional injectors
Raise your rev limiter
Control progressive nitrous control with retarded timing
Provide launch control on turbo-charged applications
Remove the alternator load under prescribed conditions
Replace mechanical ignition system with mapped ignition
Optimize timing and fuel map settings

Unichip has 256 RPM sites between 500 RPM redline and 208 load sites between zero throttle position and wide-open throttle position. This equates to 53,248 possible adjustments for fuel and a further 53,248 adjustments for ignition timing.

That list of features IS pretty impressive.
But most of that would have nothing to do with an INLINE unichip installed on a Dodge Truck. It wouldn't even raise the rev limiter on a Dodge because it does nothing to the ECM at all, it just is inline with the sensors. It's just changing the readings and feeding them to the stock ECM. Probably helps at some things.

·
Registered
87 Posts
well i dont know bout on dodges but it sounds like the same thing as hondata for hondas and i know im goin to get made fun of for sayin all this but i am young and i like hondas too. but this comes from workin on friends cars with it . but even though its hard wired in it still can control everything it lies to the ecm like u said but it also can change everything and anything u want it to. the only diff is for hondata u have to buy a new cpu with a chip port and a plug in for the plug and play part. ive seen them play with hondata and make the rev limiter at 3000 just to see what it would do. so the way it sounds it should do everything it says the key would be findin someone that knows how to tune it for ur setup.

·
Registered
42 Posts
I still wouldn't see how it would trick the rev limiter on a Dodge. Unless I'm overlooking something. Which happens :p

I can see how it will intercept the MAP, TPS, analog signals, and feed the PCM a different signal, (which is STILL only going to be the resolution of the original PCM's Analog to Digital input and divided down to whatever they feel useful for steps on the tables, which wont be thousands).

The rev limiter is directly taken from the crank/cam pulses which can't be messed with much or nothing would work properly. I'd be betting your rev limiter would be the same as the PCM is set to. Which is one of the biggest drawbacks on the stocl PCM for the 5.2/5.9's I think.

1 - 20 of 21 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.