DodgeTalk Forum banner

Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 20 of 20 Posts

·
PROJECT SRT-345
1,480 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I feel like everything under my hood is exposed alot more since I installed my CAI, and I like to keep under the hood clean, so... How do you guys with CAI's clean your engine bay, without getting water where it shouldn't be? Should I remove the Air filter before I do it?? And what do the dealers use that gets it so clean when they are on the lot? They can make a 15 year old car look like it has a brand new motor...

Jason

·
Country Style
4,927 Posts
On the K&N I had on my motorcycle I had to put a Walmart sack around the filter when washed. If I didn't if would suck in water really bad. That thing was almost impossible to ride in the rain because of the same reason. I guess you could always put a bag around it to keep it dry.

·
Registered
35,850 Posts
Thats what I do, tie a green garbage bag around it. You don't want any water soaking it.

·
Registered
23,005 Posts
They use this spray at the dealers thats basically like armor all. I know Napa used to carry a 3 piece engine detailing kit that had something similar. It had an engine cleaner spray, engine degreaser spray and engine shine all in one pack. My buddy used to work for a Toyota dealer and I went in for an oil change on my 4x4 and came out with a full fuel system flush, injection cleaning and tranny fluid change. :) He also soaked my engine down in that stuff and it was shining for a while with it.

KB

·
Registered
23,005 Posts
The pack is from a company called CD2.

Here is a shot of the Engine Shine Stuff

I believe Kmart also used to carry it too. I may have to look for this stuff next time I am out. Would be nice to try it out on my wifes Camry first. :D

KB

·
Registered
23,005 Posts
Exactly, plus her car is older than mine. So she'll be all happy that I am cleaning her engine. :tup:

KB

·
Absolutely
6,742 Posts
My dad used a product called guank ( not sure on spelling) it came in a white can. worked really good except you had to make sure you washed it all off or when the motor got hot the stuff really stunk.

On these motors, where can you not get the water, I too have the K&N FIPK and there is a bunch of wires everywhere.

·
Very Niiiice! :)
4,471 Posts
I saw on a site that was linked from this site, that if you run your engine and just pop the hood, you can use a pressure washer or just the pressure nossle or press your thumb against the end of the hose, and let 'er rip... as long as the engine doesnt sputter, or sound like its sucking in water your fine, the engine itself is already pretty much water proof from the amount of water it gets when you spray it or when it rains (now sittng 10ft underwater after Hurricane Katrina is a different story). I would just cover the filter so the engine doesnt suck in the water from there and just spray any dirt and crap from the rest of the engine bay off... i did that with mine and it looks 10x better then when i tried to sponge wash it.

-David

·
Absolutely
6,742 Posts
so all the plug wires going in to the injectors on the side are ok to get wait, like with a pressure washer from a car wash?

·
TRICK TURBO
3,865 Posts
the gunk works great. you get the engine wet, spray the gunk, then spray the engine bay down realy good STAYING AWAY FROM THE COIL PACKS.. do this with the engine running.. if you want the shine, all you have to do is after washing the bay soak it down with armoral and when it dries,, whola.. i hate the armoral approach because dirt sticks to it and then you have mud under the hood..

·
Registered
23,005 Posts
Well aren't you fancy. LOL Don't have any of those around here. :(

KB

·
Sleeper in The Making
1,696 Posts
I use super clean In the big purple jug. Its cheap, And it cleans damn near everything.

·
Retired Guy
1,239 Posts
I remove my whole CAI setup , use tape or a rubber glove finger around the breather tube, and use a 3" rubber cap from a plumbing app to cover and seal the Throttle Body. then I pressure wash everything, yep all of it.
then uncap the TB and run it for a good 10 minutes, beacuse on the 4.7L, the plug holes fill up with water and need to dry out.
Have doen it about a dozen times so far and no problems.

·
Rollin On 4:56's
1,835 Posts
put a sandwich bag around the filter and then tape around the outside. then i get a jug of degreaser and put my siphon hose from my powerwasher and i powerwash the engine every other month. i use the gentle tip from the powerwasher. even when i took the hemi to the dealer a few months back to have the power windows worked on, the service manager said, "man", you have one really clean engine bay.

·
PROJECT SRT-345
1,480 Posts
Discussion Starter #17
Degreaser? I dunno if thats sounds safe for the motor to me...

Jason

·
the sky is the limit
1,311 Posts
Sport98 said:
Degreaser? I dunno if thats sounds safe for the motor to me...

Jason
lol engine degreaser is practically the "original engine cleaner"...

·
Rollin On 4:56's
1,835 Posts
i dont use degreaser everytime i wash the truck, just 2 or 3 times in the 2 years i had the truck. only if the engine gets real caked up. most of the time, i just powerwash with filtered water. i've never had any probs whatsoever with my engine.

·
Registered
106 Posts
I use simple green with a garden hose. works great.

1 - 20 of 20 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.