DodgeTalk Forum banner

Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 20 of 24 Posts

·
All Around Great Guy
12,675 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Will you still grenade the engine if you do not go over 5700 rpm's with a motoblue underdrive pulley installed?

·
Registered
1,011 Posts
Why would you blow up your engine with an under-drive pulley? That makes no sense. I've had under-drive pulleys on my camaro as well as all my friends having them on theirs and have had no problems. In fact I've never heard that before.

·
Banned
508 Posts
because these pulleys are allegedly balanced incorrectly for the high revving hemi engine? so its been said and proven in more than one case. do your self a favor talk to Bluebeast or STU over at DTW and I am positive they can steer you in the right direction.

·
All Around Great Guy
12,675 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Bump

·
Registered
360 Posts
viper1 said:
because these pulleys are allegedly balanced incorrectly for the high revving hemi engine? so its been said and proven in more than one case. do your self a favor talk to Bluebeast or STU over at DTW and I am positive they can steer you in the right direction.

ROFL!! You have to be kidding. :crazy:

·
Registered
28,800 Posts
Its true guys. For a while everyone was running a Motoblue/ASP underdrive pulley and they were breaking their toner rings and having to have their motors relpaced...so STU at Heat Performance made an upgraded toner ring. I WOULD NOT run an underdrive pulley without one of STU's stronger toner rings.

You notice how nobody has broken a toner ring lately?? Thats because they stopped buying the pulleys after the scare a while back.

·
Registered
1,011 Posts
How is the hemi a high revving engine? Wouldn't that depend on how you drive?

·
Inertia ROCKS!!!!
12,164 Posts
HEMI450HP said:
Its true guys. For a while everyone was running a Motoblue/ASP underdrive pulley and they were breaking their toner rings and having to have their motors relpaced...so STU at Heat Performance made an upgraded toner ring. I WOULD NOT run an underdrive pulley without one of STU's stronger toner rings.

You notice how nobody has broken a toner ring lately?? Thats because they stopped buying the pulleys after the scare a while back.
Yeah Matt...I still feel a little guilty about that.

·
Inertia ROCKS!!!!
12,164 Posts
Just glad your motor didn't pop.

·
Registered
14 Posts
underdrive pulley

just installed a motoblue underdrive pulley on my truck, i also noticed that it stuck out a little further than the rest. i wonder if the crankbolt may be a little too long. buy the way what exactly is a toner ring, just wandering

·
Registered
28,800 Posts
varedneck said:
maybe they should of sent a new bolt with the pulley, anyone else having problems i should know about
I would remove it ASAP and try to get your money back...The minimal gains, if any, are not worth the risk.

·
Registered
28,800 Posts
varedneck said:
thanks i should have known when it did not line up very good and they sent a narrower belt, so what is a toner ring and do
It is at the back of your motor and it is what your crank positioning sensor gets its readinf from. The toner rings were breaking causing them to shatter that crank sensor...then the pieces of the toner ring will run through your motor damaging almost anything it touches. I know of 14 guys that have replaced their motors because of this problem and all but 1 of them had the pulley. I had one on mine for about a week and took it off immediately.

·
Registered
28,800 Posts
varedneck said:
did anybody notice any oil leaking around the seal of the pulley not much just visible
I did...Thats why I took mine off. Mine would leak about 1 drop of oil every hour with the pulley installed, so I took it off. With the stock pulley back on, I dont get any more vibration, and the oil leak went away.

1 - 20 of 24 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.