DodgeTalk Forum banner

Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 20 of 23 Posts

·
Registered
837 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Here is the idea: Custom Fiberglass sub enclosure for under the passenger seat.

The jack and mounting would be removed. I think I could fit a 10" under there and get enough space for .75 sealed box volume. IT would be made from fiberglass. has anyone done this before? has anyone tried it or found any reason for it not to work?

here are some pix from my previous car and box I glassed up.

PS: I have been doing fiberglass work for about 12 years so the glassing will not be a problem.

Attachments

·
You've been Hijacked
14,749 Posts
interesting idea. Why not just go with a center console box?

·
Registered
837 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
all of the hotboxes look boxy or strange. I want to keep it as stealth as possible but not lose the under seat storage in the back. It seems like wasted space that could be better utilized.

·
You've been Hijacked
14,749 Posts
I see. I guess my first thought would be is there enough height to get clearance for the sub from the floor. I'm assuming it would be a down fire setup?

·
Registered Abuser
170 Posts
why not make your own center console box then? i dont think there would be enough depth for a sub under the passenger seat. (unless maybe you are using one of the shallow mount subs)

·
Registered
23,005 Posts
Another guy on here made an under seat box. A search may yield results. It may have just been an 8" sub though. But it went under one seat and his amp under the other.

KB

·
Registered
837 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
it would be facing up under the passenger seat. there is at least 7 inches of depth, and 11 across and more towards the back. a 10" is usually about 6" deep and needs about .65' of cubic space. there should be just about enough there. I can do fiberglass very well and do not want to have to rebuild a complete center seat mostly because of the upholstery and the occasional use of the center seat. I have not been able to find any mention of another DT'er who has done this sort of thing, only hotboxes for the center. if you have the link please post it.

·
You've been Hijacked
14,749 Posts
southshore1500 said:
it would be facing up under the passenger seat. there is at least 7 inches of depth, and 11 across and more towards the back. a 10" is usually about 6" deep and needs about .65' of cubic space. there should be just about enough there. I can do fiberglass very well and do not want to have to rebuild a complete center seat mostly because of the upholstery and the occasional use of the center seat. I have not been able to find any mention of another DT'er who has done this sort of thing, only hotboxes for the center. if you have the link please post it.
from those dims., sounds like it might work. How much does it cost for materials? If not much you are really only out the time that you would have spent building it, should it not sound good.

·
Registered
837 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
not much in material, maybe $50 at most I have most of the glass and resin i need, just going to have to get some bondo and MDF. it will be under the seat so some nice black texture spray paint will do the trick, no need to color match or make it perfectly smooth.

·
Registered
2,418 Posts
If You Can Make One And Make It Work Then I Would Be Sold In To Buying One From You If That Would Be Ok With You... Cause I Dont Like The Idea Of The Speaker Under Ly Back Seats I Use The Space To Much Thats The Main Reason That I Dont Have A System Yet I Would Prolly Go With An 8inch Sub There

·
Registered
837 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
i am going to make one and see how it comes out and how much time it takes then think about making a few to sell. i'll keep the board informed.

·
Registered
2,418 Posts
kool i would try to but i dont know how to glass very well only a couple of duck blinds that we sunk in the marsh

·
2014 1500 4x4 Laramie CC
431 Posts
I bought a box off of ebay -- just a 10" sub under the rear passenger seat. Fits pretty well, but the sub does come in contact with the soft bottom of the seat. Sounds good... just mdf, probably glass would sound better.

·
Registered
86 Posts
i have both jlaudiostealth box.s the cenerconsole is so much better than the 10 under back passenger seat its almost like you put in 2 tens

·
Registered
2,418 Posts
guys he is talking about putting a 10 under the front passenger seat

·
2014 1500 4x4 Laramie CC
431 Posts
sleblanc said:
guys he is talking about putting a 10 under the front passenger seat
Ah... you know the ladies would probably like that, but I'd sure hate to have the bottom of the seat beating on my balls all day. That's what happens to anyone in my back seat... the guys say it hurts.

·
Registered
2,418 Posts
haha my old truck i had them behind my back seat 2 10inch L7 solo barics

·
Registered
147 Posts
I thought about it but never attempted it, if you do go ahead with it, post up some pics to show us how it goes!

·
Retired Guy
1,239 Posts
I had a buddy build me one. I put a 10" inside the lower center seat. Had to put about 1/2 inch spacers to give it some air room to move air. faces downward.
basically reoved all but about a 1/2 inch of the seat foam and almost all of the seat frrame to build it in MDF. sounds good to me. right now I cannot find pics, but I think you ge the idea. I will try to get some posted.

1 - 20 of 23 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.