DodgeTalk Forum banner

Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 20 of 21 Posts

·
Registered
212 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
So I come home from work today (driving my issued car) and as I'm pulling up in front of my house I notice that something just doesn't look right on my Ram which is parked in my driveway. Upon closer inspection, I realize that my drivers side tail pipe is sitting about six inches lower than the passenger side tail pipe.

Hoping that maybe one of the mounting brackets has simply bounced around and allowed the pipe to wiggle down, I climb down for a closer look. Wouldn't you know it.... Right at the rearmost mounting bracket, the pipe itself has rusted through, and broke free from the bracked. Sad thing is that the pipe looks to be in good shape externally.

Anyway, I know it's not going to be terribly expensive to fix, but I am not thrilled about it at all. Don't really know why I decided to post this other than I felt the need to rant about it to people who might understand my frustration. My wife just looked at me like I was an idiot when I complained to her. I figured y'all might do the same thing, but at least I wouldn't be able to see the expressions on your faces. Hahahaha!

·
Takin' Care of Old Red
881 Posts
I know the feeling... been there done that. Keep on Ranting my friend!

Spend the extra and get stainless pipe to fix it, its a bit more expensive, but won't rust

·
07 hemi ram
454 Posts
i agree go stainless...

·
Hook it and Book it!
1,182 Posts
OR another option, how do you feel about cutting it off all together? Why spend the money on it? I had duals coming out the rear but I cut the 2 pipes off over the axle and did a turn down there. Looks clean and sounds better actually. Eh Eh? Ha just another option. Got pics if you want them

·
Kind of an 03
2,190 Posts
OR another option, how do you feel about cutting it off all together? Why spend the money on it? I had duals coming out the rear but I cut the 2 pipes off over the axle and did a turn down there. Looks clean and sounds better actually. Eh Eh? Ha just another option. Got pics if you want them
Did the same thing with mine an love it!

·
Registered
726 Posts
My wife just looked at me like I was an idiot when I complained to her. I figured y'all might do the same thing, but at least I wouldn't be able to see the expressions on your faces. Hahahaha!
-___- <---- thats me looking at you like you're an idiot!! lol just kidding...I freak out about any little thing that happens to my truck...I have the smallest little nick in the front bumper on mine, and I about lost my marbles when I found it..yours should be an easy fix though :rck:

·
Registered
1,539 Posts
x2

·
Thread Derailer
1,854 Posts
did it rust at the weld of the hanger? aluminzied piping is much cheaper than a stainless set up, and doesn't rust very quickly at all, it's typically the welds that rust first, a good shop will put some paint on them once everything is in place

·
Registered
2,243 Posts
I know the feeling... been there done that. Keep on Ranting my friend!

Spend the extra and get stainless pipe to fix it, its a bit more expensive, but won't rust
Not true, it may take longer, but the condensation from the exhaust will eventually rust it. SS is not immune to rust, just more resistant. Ask me how I know. Mine is SS, and there are rust spots on both ends:mad: I even tried Mothers Polish with no help besides shining them up. This is the only place Ive seen to have a process of no rust SS.

http://www.never-rust.com/

·
Registered
212 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
Well, I talked to the muffler shop today and have an appointment to take it in on Friday. Here are the options I am aware of currently:

1) Replace entire exhaust (catback) using my choice of either Flowmaster 30 series, unspecified model of Magnaflow, or unspecified brand of glasspack muffler for $225.00

2) Ask what it would cost to simply fix the rusted area (not a great option as I don't want to be messing with another repair in the near future).

3) Ask what it would cost to dump the exhaust somewhere before the rear of the truck. If I go this route... I definately have to have a muffler on the truck. So, what kind?, and where would I ask em' to dump it at?

What say you fellas?

·
Hook it and Book it!
1,182 Posts
Cutting it off involves no $ at all if you know someone who can weld some tips on for you, or the welding could be cheap from the shop I imagine. I have a FM Super 44 muffler and it comes out dual, over my axle like so, and those 90 angle pipes came with my "kit" (if I wanted to have the side turn out exhaust) so i just had a dude weld those on. Cut both pipes right over the axle. Made it sound a little louder because it bounces off the ground now. Youd be fine with your 40. I love it but, again its all up to you. This would be the cheapest option IMO though and it looks clean too which I love

·
Registered
212 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
Sounds interesting. I like loud. In fact.... I REALLY like loud. I just want to make sure that my exhaust is legal, will last a while, and will cost me as little as possible as I've recently had to replace a dishwasher, kitchen floor, and have an appointment to have new gutters installed next week. So, obviously cost is a factor here.

·
Takin' Care of Old Red
881 Posts
Not true, it may take longer, but the condensation from the exhaust will eventually rust it. SS is not immune to rust, just more resistant. Ask me how I know. Mine is SS, and there are rust spots on both ends:mad: I even tried Mothers Polish with no help besides shining them up. This is the only place Ive seen to have a process of no rust SS.

http://www.never-rust.com/
Ur right, my apologies :ugh

·
Hook it and Book it!
1,182 Posts
Sounds interesting. I like loud. In fact.... I REALLY like loud. I just want to make sure that my exhaust is legal, will last a while, and will cost me as little as possible as I've recently had to replace a dishwasher, kitchen floor, and have an appointment to have new gutters installed next week. So, obviously cost is a factor here.
I feel ya man. Cheap is always better. Cutting it off only requires a cutting wheel of some kind and getting someone to weld those angles. Heck you may not even need/want those. You could probably do without. And since it bounces off the ground now.....lets just say with my 44 Im setting off a car alarm at least once a week :rck: haha good enough for me bro!

·
Hook it and Book it!
1,182 Posts
Any updates?

Sent from my Android using Tapatalk

·
Registered
212 Posts
Discussion Starter #17
Any updates?

Sent from my Android using Tapatalk
There is an update indeed.... THANK YOU (and all of the others) for suggesting the idea of dumping the exhaust! I went yesterday, and decided to give it a try. I was hesitant because every vehicle I've owned has always had two chrome tips poking out from beneath the rear bumper... I wasn't sure how well I'd like the idea of not having any pipes to look at.

Honestly... The look of no pipes back there is clean, and unique compared to the hundreds of other trucks around here that all have big dual chrome tips out the back like mine used to.

What I had done, is to cut the exhaust off behind the cats, install a brand new 40 series Flowmaster muffler (single in/dual out), then some turndowns just before the rear axle... The result is fantastic. A deep, throaty growl from my HEMI that doesn't become higher pitched or raspy at higher RPM. The noise level has increased from the exhaust bouncing off of the ground, and I can feel the rumble inside of the cab. I like it...A LOT!

So, for those who suggested going this route... Once again, I truly appreciate it. And, as a bonus... Y'all saved me about $65.00 from what I would have spent keeping my rear exit pipes. I would have saved a lot more had I not decided to go with a brand new muffler, but I figured why half-ass it?

·
Hook it and Book it!
1,182 Posts
Awwwww yeaaaaaa!!! Badass man!! Im glad you liked it! That exactly why I went that way because its unique and awesome. Sounds like you got it set up pretty sick! I bet that 40 rumbles good under there if my 44 does. Go have some green beer on me with that money you saved! Ha congrads man

·
Registered
212 Posts
Discussion Starter #19
Most definately a sick setup... I'll post some pics when I get a chance to crawl under there and take a few. Thanks again for the suggestion. I love my new exhaust.

·
Registered
70 Posts
What I had done, is to cut the exhaust off behind the cats, install a brand new 40 series Flowmaster muffler (single in/dual out), then some turndowns just before the rear axle...
What one is that? I just looked on the Flowmaster site, and I dont see a single in dual out muffler. I would love to do the same to mine...

1 - 20 of 21 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.