DodgeTalk Forum banner

Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 16 of 16 Posts

·
Registered
35 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I've had a couple weeks to get to know my mygig and uConnect system in my new truck and I have a question.

I'm using a 1st gen 8gb iPhone with 2.2 (5G77) firmware.

My iPhone syncs with no problems and doesn't have any problems with dropped calls, etc. The battery indicator shows up on the display and so does the address book icon. I can voice dial through the uConnect without having any contacts saved in the uConnect memory. Everything seems great right??

Here's the problem: When I receive a call, the number with area code shows up on the navi display, but no contact information shows up. So it looks like the uConnect can see the iPhone address book, but doesn't display any of the contact info associated with the incoming number... Make sense?

Do I need to manually store contact info in the uConnect to have the name displayed with the number? I've searched for a couple days around different forums, but I haven't had any luck finding an answer.

·
2009 Ram 1500 CC Laramie
600 Posts
hmmm....I have the same iphone and just assumed that was a limitation of the uconnect system. I didn't bother to see if it would actually show the names. This would definitely be a nice feature to have though.

I looked into the owners manual and this is all it says:

Phonebook Download – Automatic Phonebook
Transfer From Cellular Phone
If equipped and specifically supported by your phone,
uconnect phone automatically downloads names (text
names) and number entries from the cellular phone’s
phonebook. Specific Bluetooth Phones with Phone Book
Access Profile may support this feature. See uconnect
website for supported phones.
I read it front and back and didn't see anything about names showing up on the screen.

·
Registered
35 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
^^ Surely uconnect is capable of displaying contact info with an incoming call. I can voice dial without transferring any contacts to the uconnect. That means the uconnect has access to my contacts on the phone. The address book icon shows up on the nav display when the phone is connected, etc. I wonder why it doesn't que the name that matches the incoming number...?

I know that the iPhone doesn't support sending contacts as vCards. I had to work around that problem in my Mercedes... I'll keep looking...

Thanks for your help.

·
2009 Ram 1500 CC Laramie
600 Posts

·
Registered
35 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
I hear what you are saying. I guess the question is for others who have had uconnect before or have different phones. Does the names show up on the screen as well as the number?

I just searched for screen shots and everyone I came across only shows the number, like this one:
Now add a little "address book" icon on the bottom of that display and that pic would look like what I see. I'll have to snap a pic next time I'm in the truck.

It may be the case that you have to store the contacts locally in the uconnect to get a name and number... That would suck. :(

Are you seeing the address book icon like I am??

·
Registered
3 Posts
I'm having some problems with my iPhone (3G 8GB model) and the uConnect. It pairs up, but it won't download my contacts or make/receive calls. It acts like it is downloading the phonebook, but it stops and starts intermittently.

I found on another forum that if you delete all of your contacts on the iPhone and then get in the truck it works fine. Obviously, without the contacts the caller ID only shows the number when someone calls.

I'd like to find out how to get this fixed so that I can keep my contacts on my iPhone and the uConnect system work properly.

On a side note, I just picked up my new Ram Friday and after I signed all of the paperwork they decided to tell me that the warning engine light is on and won't go off. They gave me the option to take it home over the weekend and see if it turns off or they would pick it up on Monday and try to figure it out. I guess they flashed it and couldn't find anything. Nice. It's been on all weekend with the service 4wd sometimes and the outside temperature a balmy 130 degrees. What a way to start my experience with Dodge after being a Chevy guy my whole life!!

·
Registered
3 Posts
Has anybody updated their iPhone to 2.2.1 that came out today? I'm hearing on other forums that this fixes the uConnect and iPhone problems, but mine is still not working. I'm going to try a couple more times, but would like to hear if this is working for anyone.

·
Registered
3,548 Posts
I have the factory UConnect with the RB1 Nav radio with the same iphone, and it has always showed just the number, and not the contacts name.

·
2009 Ram 1500 CC Laramie
600 Posts
Has anybody updated their iPhone to 2.2.1 that came out today? I'm hearing on other forums that this fixes the uConnect and iPhone problems, but mine is still not working. I'm going to try a couple more times, but would like to hear if this is working for anyone.
I upgraded to 2.2.1 but still no name :(

·
Registered
35 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
I guess at least yours works. Mine still turns the bluetooth off and on with my iPhone and can't make/receive a call.
True. It just seems like a huge oversight to not display the name on the display. I mean, who remembers anyones number anymore??? Seeing the number does me NO GOOD on 95% of calls I get on my cell... What's the point of keeping my phone secure in my pocket if I have to pull it out to figure out who's calling?? :tdwn:

Has anyone ever seen contact name while using any other phone with uConnect? Is this an iPhone specific issue?

·
Registered
30 Posts
Has anyone ever seen contact name while using any other phone with uConnect? Is this an iPhone specific issue?
I have a blackberry 8310 and have never seen the contact name displayed while receiving uConnect calls.

Cliff

·
2009 Ram 1500 CC Laramie
600 Posts
FYI, I leave my phone in the center console facing me so I can just glance at it when an incoming call comes in so that I can see who is calling.

Something that I am considering is to just put the most popular names in the address book so that the names do show up when someone calls. Wife, kid, home, and a few friends should be good enough. I think I can just download them one at a time, so I will just do that.

·
Registered
153 Posts
Pretty lame!

1 - 16 of 16 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.