DodgeTalk Forum banner

Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 16 of 16 Posts

·
Registered
122 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I need to change My front U-joints are there any pointers or things to look out for while doing this, I have done several other things on the truck just not this, thanks for any help in advance.... ;)

·
David-2001 Ram Off-Road
2,857 Posts
moparram97 said:
I need to change My front U-joints are there any pointers or things to look out for while doing this, I have done several other things on the truck just not this, thanks for any help in advance.... ;)

Click HERE for an excellent "how-to" on replacing your u-joints.

Hope this helps-and good luck!

·
Registered
122 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
thanks ill look there

·
Registered
122 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
thanks that is a great resource but i need to do the front ones on the front hub's is the procedure the same, what is necessary to be removed or taken apart, i dont want to do extra work tha t is not necessary...

·
The Green Machine
1,722 Posts
Check out this great article: HERE

·
Registered
607 Posts
That article just about covers it all, but be prepared to pound the life out of the hubs to get them out of the uprights if they've rusted in place, and you may well need to replace the hubs at the same time.

·
Banned
5,244 Posts
Just wanted to add this, I would buy quality u joints (greasable) to replace the oem ones. I replaced mine with the aftermarket parts stores ones and had them go bad soon after. The grease flies out of them over time. I would suggest using spicer u joints only. Check out this link to read about them.

They wont let me post the link! dtstulsa. c o m /driveShafts/parts.asp

·
Registered
122 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
well I have had a noise which i needed to diagnose and have finally found out what the problem was... I had thought that I had a bad u-joint but after more digging My trusted mechanic has some bad news for me In tearing down the front end and trying to find the cause of the noise we discovered almost no fluid in the diff. also the motor which actuates the movement to 4x4 has problems, mainly the fork which moves the collar inside the axle to enguage the axles was shot and had very little left to grab, this is whre the noise was coming from. since this was making so much noise I was not able to tell if there was any additional dammage to my diff so The most cost effective route to take is to replace it with a used unit. cost ($645) labor $500. this has turned out to be one expensive u joint... But I guess that should be expected when the truck has 203,000 on it...

·
The Green Machine
1,722 Posts

·
Registered
122 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
problem solved, used front end complete with bearings and axles, the whole works. the old shift fork whas chewed to hell, I should have taken a pic before my mechanic tossed it but didn't have access to a camera at the time. between that and the fact that the diff was Dry we felt that it would be best to go with a different front end all together, The diff in the new (used) axle looks to be damn near brand new, must not have seen much use, I hate to spend money when I dont need to and I feel that I avoided that by swaping the whole thing. since we were unsure of what else may have been bad on the old one. I got it back to day and it drives like new, front end is tight and quies and the 4x4 works, hopefully this is the last time I will need to work on my front end. oh yeah I also put on a new steering stabilizer which was the source of a nother noise you could not hear with the bad axle, now the truck turns nicely and there is no wobble what so ever...

·
Registered
122 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
oh, yeah thanks for all the input from you guys :gr_patrio

·
Registered
2,168 Posts
Glad to hear it worked out for ya. How much did it end up setting you back?

·
Registered
122 Posts
Discussion Starter · #13 ·
The complete front end and stabilizer which i could have done if i had the time, including labor was 1500, 650 for the front end and 100 for parts the rest was labor.

Sure beats 30,000 for a new truck, besides i like the unrefined look of the 2g trucks any way.

·
Registered
2,168 Posts
Not a bad total. I paid 600 alone for axle joints and hub bearings on both sides.

·
Registered
122 Posts
Discussion Starter · #15 ·
not the 200 i thought it would be for outter u joints, but yeah i feel prety good considering what it could have been

·
The Green Machine
1,722 Posts
Grantman31 said:
Not a bad total. I paid 600 alone for axle joints and hub bearings on both sides.
:metoo: Another case of the whole being less than the sum of it's parts :D

97 - Glad you got everything squared away :tup:

1 - 16 of 16 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.