DodgeTalk Forum banner

Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
386 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
This is a question for those of you who have swapped the V6 out for a V8... I just finished a project truck (http://www.dodgetalk.com/forums/showthread.php?t=59594) where I swapped the tired V6 out for a healthy Magnum 318 (62K Miles). (For background, I was able to mate the 318 up to the manual tranny I had for the V6 by having the Magnum CPS markes milled into my V6 Flywheel) Well, I've got two concerns that center around the guages. The real question is this... Do they use a different guage cluster with the V8? I doubt it, but it might be nice if that was the answer to it all.

1. My Tach seems to be low... The truck idles nicely around 400/500 RPM--this seems reasonable (a tad low, but reasonable). However, the guage doesn't seem to register enough RPM as I'm driving down the road. For instance, going down the highway at 70Mph, it only registers 1800 RPM... Can this be true? What do your RPM's look like in O/D at 70?

2. My Oil pressure is dangerously low... It generally rides at the minimum line of the O.K. range but routinely dips below that line. It would be nice to find out that this is just a difference in guage clusters, but I doubt it. I can tell you that my V8 runs hard and sounds great. It doesn't sound like there could be damage to the lower-end bearings. I don't know though... I should be able to hear it, but it's not something you really know until you tear down the motor. Has anyone had problems with oil pressure on a 318 with only 62K miles?

Thanks Guys!

·
Registered
301 Posts
guages

318 fires 8 times and 3.9 fires 6 times so you need to change the module on the back of the tach.

·
Stroked & TKO'd
111 Posts
Yup there is a module on the back, the best bet in this istance would be to use aftermarket Autometer gauges. I'm in the same boat as you are. I swapped out my premagnum v6 for a magnum v6, and my guage cluster no longer works for any of my guages. But I'm going to after market gauges to solve the problem, and when I build my magnum 390, I won't have to worry about having to swap guages again, as they will be able to handle the readings given off by it as well.

Jay

·
Registered
386 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
I'll check out the module before switching to aftermarket guages. Really, it's just the Oil Pressure and Tach that are a little off. It took a lot of wire-chasing before I put everything together, but it's all pretty good.

1 - 5 of 5 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.