DodgeTalk Forum banner
Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 20 of 20 Posts

·
Registered
3,048 Posts
I'm not aware of any Dodgetalk guys that run twins (or at least guys who post regularly). I would try dieseltruckresource.com or turbodieselregister.com, as there are several guys that run them there.
Good luck.
Maybe you can be the first!

·
Registered
595 Posts
Would be awesome to see a twin turbo'ed RAM. Theres a company in BC that makes the kits. Saw a thing on TV for while ago on it. Kinda a neat set up. Wonder what they do on the track.

Kevin, how long you lived in Livermore? My father grew up there and I still have an uncle and a cozen (spelling?) there. Maybe been there twice, an interesting city.

·
Registered
3,048 Posts
I've lived in Livermore since late '97. Moved to San Ramon (15 minutes away) for a couple years, but back now.
If you haven't been here in a while, it has grown like crazy. Used to be a cowboy town. Downtown is re-done and still growing. Lots of wineries and several golf courses. Great place to live.

·
Dodgezilla
5,719 Posts
There's a lot of work involved with twins. New intake. New exhaust manifold. And some other stuff. There are lots of guys making 600+hp with big singles. Twins won't be that much more powerful but they will spool up much quicker. I won't mess with twins. My last truck made 500hp and this new one will soon too and it's gonna be with a single charger.
Twins look cool though....

·
Registered
595 Posts
Hemi Freak said:
I've lived in Livermore since late '97. Moved to San Ramon (15 minutes away) for a couple years, but back now.
If you haven't been here in a while, it has grown like crazy. Used to be a cowboy town. Downtown is re-done and still growing. Lots of wineries and several golf courses. Great place to live.

I’ve never seen the city as it was. My father was there in the 60s and 70s. I didn’t see it until the mid 90s, and I will still a little kid than. I think I was last there in 1999, just passing through. I need to go back and check the city out, meet family I’ve only talked to on the phone, etc etc.

Sorry to get off topic.

·
Registered
3,048 Posts
If you do come to town, let me know. (Especially if you happen to bring your truck! :D )
It's always fun to put faces to the names...

·
Registered
258 Posts
Im not sure about the third gens but on the second gen you do not need a new exhaust manifold and the intake from the intercooler on is the same. Don't be scared of twins, as long as you do your research and get it right you won't be disappointed. A good friend of mine is running HX35/HT66 twins and that thing is a beast. I am looking at twins as we speak because this HX40 just has too much lag for being a 5spd on 40's. Im thinking about doing a HX35/40 hybrid top with a B2 bottom, should see some nice results with that setup, just need to find the $$'s

·
Registered
254 Posts
Twins are a beautiful setup in appearance and functionality...if you get the right setup. If you are pushing some serious power you need bigger chargers. The bigger the charger you have to go with the laggier it will be. That's where twins come into play because you've got the smaller turbo which spools quick to push into the larger turbo and then once it is lit, it will bypass the smaller one and pull most of the load.

The conception of twins is commonly lost though. It's not as simple as slapping two chargers on and being done with it. With that much more volume of air being pushed you are going to need head studs which themselves aren't too cheap either. No head studs...your heads will stand up and salute you. Do your homework and look into who makes the best setup. Power by Poole makes a very sweet setup. It's not cheap, but it's well put together.

Someday when my truck grows up...hopefully he'll be equipped with a set. Good luck in your search.

·
Diesel User
1,343 Posts
Like Billy Goat mentioned, with twins and enough fuel you will see 60+psi of boost, which isn't good for the stock head gasket or studs. So new studs and o-ring the head is a must for reliability.

MikeyB

·
Registered
121 Posts
you have o watch a big single, they too can make 60psi studs would still be recomended over 46psi.

·
Registered
595 Posts
Hemi Freak said:
If you do come to town, let me know. (Especially if you happen to bring your truck! :D )
It's always fun to put faces to the names...
Sorry for the delay. Been outa town and busy work, thats been keeping me away from the computer. I may be headed thought your area near the end of the year. Wife and I are planning a trip up north, probably Alaska. Will have a friends 5th wheel camper, so that means the truck would have to come. This isn’t set in stone yet, so I don’t know if we’ll be going anywhere.

Any way… Back to twins. Having all the boost is nice and all, but I’m sure feeding he truck the amount of fuel needed to take advantage of the twins would hurt badly considering where the price of diesel is right now. If it were a race truck, ya I can see it, but for street use, I don’t see them being practical.

·
Registered
258 Posts
Twin turbos does not necissarily mean more fuel.....yes to take full advantage of them it does but just for driving around it does not. I would say staying in a reasonable range of twins however....such as a hx35 top and ht3b, ht66, or b2 bottom would be a nice streetable setup instead of thinking "hey i want to go big" and getting too large of a top turbo and being right back in the laggy area. I would have to say though, if it were an auto truck i and a person wasnt trying to go much over 400-600 hp i would get a nice big single that has descent spool and can support that much power, but if the truck were a standard i would definately support twins as with a manual you have to spool them each time you shift, with the auto it is just the initial spool that will hinder you.

·
Registered
35,849 Posts
DodgeThis_AZ said:
Wife and I are planning a trip up north, probably Alaska. Will have a friends 5th wheel camper, so that means the truck would have to come.
Are you crazy? Going to Alaska in the winter is just plain nuts. Even the people that live there don't go outside in the winter :D

·
Registered
224 Posts
Even the kids play outside down to -25 or so.

If you do come don't bother with the 5er Oct. - April. There will be no place open to park it. Most of the camp grounds are run by snow birds...not tough enough to winter up here...lol.

·
Registered
377 Posts
I'm gathering the parts to get my twin system built.
My plan is to run a modified HX-35 for the little guy and a BHT3B for the big guy. Stud the head and it should hold just fine on the Common Rail motor. A littel fab work on my end and things should fit together just fine. Probably just buy a 5" exhaust and modify it a bit to bolt up to the big charger. New oil feed and drain lines. Silicone hoses to keep things from going *POP* at the most in-opportune times are in order as well.

Just need to get my mad money account built back up after the tranny upgrades last month. Billet ain't cheap, did I mention that?

·
Registered
258 Posts
Sounds like a great plan, a friend of mine has a 35 top and ht66 bottom and it works out nice. Have you figured out the wastegate yet? He has a tial wastegate that bypasses the 35. As for the exhaust, he had his made by rip at source automotive and said it was fairly priced.

1 - 20 of 20 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.