Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
GenII Dakota
409 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hello,

I am looking for a nice solid system setup.. at first I ran stock speakers with 1 Audiobahn 15 and Kenwood Amp... But now I am looking to add some MUSIC to the system instead of all BASS.. I am about to purchase two 6.5 Audiobahn door speakers and two audiobahn 6x9's... My head unit pushes about 200 watts and I was wondering if I need anything else to go with my tweets.. I want them to be able to reach their max so should I throw an amp or anything in there? I've only been into mobile audio for about 8 months now so help me out..

Thank you,
-Jason

·
One day at a time
1,003 Posts
I would get a amp for those speakers. The head unit doesn't actually push 200 watts. If you read the fine print in the owners manual of the unit you will find that it pushes maybe 19 watts per channel give or take. I found it hard to believe until I talked to a car audio guru who set me straight. He told me that if a unit would push 200 watts imagine what size the head unit would have to be. It would be hard to fit it in that little hole. I would suggest a MTX four channel amp hooked with some high quality RCAs from the head unit and run new high quality speaker wire to each speaker from the amp. I did this to my truck with Infinity speakers in all four corners and tweeters also and it is very nice a clean sound. AND LOUD! Get a amp that will push 75 watts RMS per channel at least. You will be very happy with this set up!

·
GenII Dakota
409 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
I'm trying to keep everything with an Audiobahn brand on it :-D ... I'd really like to redo my entire system because it would sound a LOT better but I dont know where to start? What gauge wire should I rewire with the speakers? I've read several posts in this forum since I posted this and my system could use a lot of work.. 13 year old wire would sound better if it was replaced I guess, haha...

·
GenII Dakota
409 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
I believe my headunit only has one RCA outlet but I want to keep my amp for the sub and run one for the tweets... How would I do this if the sub amp is using the RCA's?

·
One day at a time
1,003 Posts
I understand. Audiobahn has good four channel amps also. I wouldn't use any wire that is over 16 ga. Find speaker wire that has a thick insulation.

·
One day at a time
1,003 Posts
Run the tweeters off of your speaker wire going to each coaxial speaker. Mount the tweeter no further than 8 inchs from the speaker. This keeps it blended. The way my head unit is that there are four RCA on the back for each channel which is 4. Now it also has a wire that comes out the back that has RCAs that only goes to the sub amp. But there is different ways of achieveing what you want but it is hard for me to explain on here. Since you going to sell the JVC head unit I would get a unit that has 4 RCAs and a bass. This will give you bass adjustment on your head unit as well as high end adjustment for your speakers.

·
GenII Dakota
409 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
Sorry to keep bothering you about this, but if I decided to have 2 additional speakers put in my truck should I just go ahead and purchase a 6-channel amp? I've found a good 6-channel Audiobahn amp that is 6 X 75 Watts RMS... I just dont want to have to go back and change everything up again.. ya know.. get it right the first time.

Thank you,
-Jason

·
One day at a time
1,003 Posts
You might to want stick to the 4 channel way. When you get it done it will be plenty loud enough and you will have less wire to run and less likely of other problems such sd noise. When you buy your speakers make sure you use RMS not Max power. Match everything as close as you can. Example: AMP= 75 WATTS PER CHANNEL/ SPEAKER= 100 WATTS RMS

1 - 8 of 8 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.