DodgeTalk Forum banner

Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 20 of 44 Posts

·
Just Call Me Oz
2,844 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Since noone makes Turtles anymore specifically for the M1 I decided the make my own ;)

Attachments

·
I R SMRAT.
1,622 Posts
What exactly does that do?

·
Just Call Me Oz
2,844 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
In short takes up space in the plenum area. The area is too big for a stock motor. Bigger means more flow higher RPM.

·
I R SMRAT.
1,622 Posts
Gotcha. Cool! Will it be welded together and attached to the bottom of the intake somehow?

·
Just Call Me Oz
2,844 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Ya, I ran out of wire last night so I could not finish up welding. It will be welded together smoothed, then I was thinking of welding a plate at the bottom with a nut so I will drill a hole through the bottom and run a bolt through to hold down the turtle down.

So the bolt will come up from the bottom. I know it looks pretty rough right now but after it gets all cleaned up it will look better...

·
I R SMRAT.
1,622 Posts
Mad skills, my friend. I wish I could work with metal. :( *sigh* I am merely a woodworker.

·
Just Call Me Oz
2,844 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
No skillz just practise...I am sure someone that is good at this stuff would be finished by now and would have had less problems than I did. It was really hard to weld it together in a square pattern. Clamp the ground on and still have it stay together, it took a few attempts.

·
Ram Racer
1,584 Posts
Nice job :cool:
Turtles do reduce intake volume but more important is assisting in funnelling airflow into the individual runners and reducing turbulance from hitting the flat bottom.

·
BigMi
618 Posts
Post some updated pics plz

·
Just Call Me Oz
2,844 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
I will have some pictures tomorrow...I got the rest welded up today. Just need to clean up the welds.

·
Just Call Me Oz
2,844 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
Progress and my hood primed ;)

Attachments

·
I R SMRAT.
1,622 Posts
Cash money.

I'm curious to see how it performs!

Hood looks good too. Looks better than my hood. Previous owner had a 'friend' repaint the hood since the clear coat was flacking off as our trucks like to do. Drip marks everywhere and runs on the sides. Orange peel on the top. :mad: looks like a**.

·
Just Call Me Oz
2,844 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
The paint is just your run of the mill rust paint blown through a paint gun. Runs gallor, but that is what sand paper is for. It will then get a coat of satin black base rust paint then a satin clear coat rust paint.

I tested out the paint on a body panel over the summer and I am happy with it so far. It did not fade, chip or crack. The clear coat is pretty though.

·
I R SMRAT.
1,622 Posts
You know what? You bring up something interesting there. I am eventually going to get my truck repainted from front to back but I want something different from the typical high gloss mirror blac finish. I love black so the truck will remain black, but I was trying to think of ways to change it up. The other day, I saw a truck with a set of rims on it. The rims were black, but not super shiney. They weren't flat either. Somewhere in the middle like a matte finish. Looked HAWT!!! I wonder what my whole truck would look like with a matte black finish.

It'd definitly be different and since it's a lifted 4WD, it'd probably hide scratches better too.

·
Just Call Me Oz
2,844 Posts
Discussion Starter #15
I love flat black...so far I have found that most fade. But, I use this satin clear coat out of a rattle can. Tremclad Satin Clear/Rustoleum Satin Clear It doesn't get all chalky, protects just as well as regular clear coat.

·
I R SMRAT.
1,622 Posts
I'm wanting to see if a shop can do a professional matte black finish on the truck. Kawasaki produced some of their ZX6R sport bikes with a matte finish blue paint with flake. Paint looked AWESOME! VERY different from the typical shiny paint and definitely drew attention. I want the same thing but in black. I wonder if the paint shop guy would look at me funny. "You want black...but you DON'T want it to shine?!?!" LOL

·
Just Call Me Oz
2,844 Posts
Discussion Starter #17
It is all in the clear coat. The primer, base coat is all the same. The clear coat is what needs to be satin.

They will probably give you a hard time, and it might cost a little more becuase they will have to get an aditive for their clear coat or buy the clear coat already flat. Either way unless they do it regularily they might not even do it.

Most body shops try to keep it cheap by buying their paint in bulk in huge quanities which makes it cheaper. So if it is a one time paint job they may charge extra just because they will not be buying in bulk.

·
I R SMRAT.
1,622 Posts
Yea, I figured I'd be paying a little extra. I have strange taste in many things. ;)

·
Just Call Me Oz
2,844 Posts
Discussion Starter #19
Not strange Eccentric

·
I R SMRAT.
1,622 Posts
1 - 20 of 44 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.