DodgeTalk Forum banner
Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 15 of 15 Posts

·
Registered
403 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
i am hearing alot of complants about the mds . anyone know if we can shut it off ?? it would be sweet to hook up a toogle switch so you could turn it off or on as you need .

·
AWD is the right way
165 Posts
What do hear that would make you think you would be better off not using the MDS?

It is transparent in operation and gives you better gas mileage and gets out of the way when you step on the gas hard.

·
Registered
403 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
i have read alot of complaints about erratic performance . "sometimes feels like the car is bogging " i personaly noticed this letting a friend drive . he floored it and it just didn't go . thought it was something he did but i noticed it the other day when i went to pass someone , just didn't seem to accelerate right .

·
Registered
348 Posts
I agree that sometimes my magnum acts like it has 340hp and other times if feel like I only have half that. Sometimes you step on it and it just takes its sweet time downshifting and hauling ass. I was reading up on the srt and they have taken the same tranny and changed the shifting to shift firmer and also increased the rev limiter. I believe that when some company cracks the computer and we can shift like the autostick is designed to shift and the rev limiter is raised just ever so slightly we will feel the full potential of the magnum.

·
AWD is the right way
165 Posts
mikesmagrt said:
i have read alot of complaints about erratic performance . "sometimes feels like the car is bogging " i personaly noticed this letting a friend drive . he floored it and it just didn't go . thought it was something he did but i noticed it the other day when i went to pass someone , just didn't seem to accelerate right .
That is not the MDS causing that. Have you tried the throttle calibration?

·
Registered
205 Posts
you should try the mds indicator mod and you can see if the mds is even active when you are having trouble with acceleration.

·
Registered
403 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
thanks done and dantodd , i will give both of those a try

·
Registered
205 Posts
heck, if you paid for all 340hp you sheld be able to play with all 340hp!

:D

·
Mainiac
526 Posts
MDS isn't the issue if you're getting hesitation. The only time mine lags is when I haven't warmed it up after a cold start. If yours does, take it in and get it fixed.

MDS is only a good thing. It saves you gas and is utterly invisible.

Jeff,

You paid for 340 hp, not 340 rwhp. You get 340 at the crank. and probably 290 or so at the rear wheels. Some loss is normal and the Magnum isn't particularly inefficient as far as power transmission is concerned.

G

·
hemiwagon said:
I believe that when some company cracks the computer and we can shift like the autostick is designed to shift and the rev limiter is raised just ever so slightly we will feel the full potential of the magnum.
I believe you're right. The computer tends to learn driving habits, particularly the non-aggressive ones, so if you don't have your foot in it for a few days, it seems to respond that way. Don't know why that's necessary. Part throttle (or light-load driving) should be designed or mapped for economy, and full-throttle should respond as such every time, IMO. Why would you not want max power at full-throttle?

I do wonder if many people are confusing the torque converter locking up for what they think is the MDS kicking in. That's what it feels like to me, the few times I've felt the car chugging along at low speeds. It feels like there's no slippage in the converter, like driving a manual trans. car in high gear. Lock-up converters have been around since the early 80's, and I've noticed this in much less sophisticated cars (like an '82 Corvette).

The indicator light would be the practical solution to identify when MDS is actually happening.

Like you stated, though, a good computer reprogramming should eliminate the "economy" learning curve, and install a fixed curve to raise shift points and top speed, as well as make the shifts firmer and plot a more aggressive air/fuel mapping and timing curve.

Then they should come out with a set of GEARS like 3:20 or 3:40 for this heavy behemoth. I think we'd be looking at consistent 13-sec 1/4 mile times then.

And that's just my three cents.

·
Registered
164 Posts
I remember reading about the throttle calibration but can't find it. Can someone repost it please?

·
Registered
403 Posts
Discussion Starter · #14 ·
Thanks For The Link To The Throttle Fix . I Know What I Am Doing At Lunch Time Today .. Hee Hee

1 - 15 of 15 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.