DodgeTalk Forum banner

Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
What would be better for a 4.7L a twin turbo or a supercharger??? thanks in advance.....

·
Registered
3,722 Posts
Better in what way? More power? How much work are you planning to do and how much money?Twin turbos if you could do it would likely make more but at the expence of your engine. There is no off the shelf turbo kit much less a twin. You can get a bolt on supercharger.

·
Registered
545 Posts
If you wanted to get that much HP, I would just say, get a Viper engine :rck: .... would probably be cheaper in the long run NE ways...

·
Pimp On Sir Don
12,782 Posts
Paxton-Novi makes a supercharger kit for the 4.7L, I think it's 00-01 Durangos. I'm not sure if it will work as a direct fit kit for any other model years.

There are 1 or 2 other Durangos with 4.7L that are turbocharged (single turbo> STS remote setup) The default STS remote turbo setup pushes about 6-8 PSI. Not a lot really, but a stock 4.7L can't handle much more to begin with. These aren't kits and are 100% custom to the 4.7 but my understanding is they're much easier installs than say a regular turbo or perhaps even a supercharger. SniperD I think is the one who has a STS remote turbo installed. Search the 4.7L engine forum for his post on that.

He noted that there is virtually NO turbo lag what-so-ever and he felt it wasn't necessary for a twin-turbo setup. Just FYI on that.

·
Registered
484 Posts
I like the way you think bandfreek9. MORE POWER! Instantaneous knock you back in the seat power and torque.

But you may want to consider looking at the BIG picture for a moment. Trans and Engine. I put a Paxton on my 5.9 and LOVED it. My right foot could not get enough of it. But my tranny sure did. It failed on me a couple of months later. So I bought a Martin Saine tranny, capable of withstanding over 700HP. I was back in business until a I heard a knocking sound under the hood. The crank rod bearings were hammered out by all the HP and TQ. So I had the FastMan build me one of his engines, able to withstand the hammering of the Paxton. So far, so good.

I guess what I am saying is that when you install a supercharger or a turbocharger, you are opening yourself up to all kinds of potential future problems, and they will be expensive!

If I had to do it all over again I would work backwards. I would have The FastMan build me an engine that makes awesome HP and TQ. I'd have him build it S/C or T/C ready, so you can bolt it on later if you want. Then I would run it and see if it is enough to satisfy your power needs. Then I would look at getting a beefed up tranny. With all that HP and TQ, it will only be a matter of time before it fails. After all of that, then I would consider adding the S/C or TC. And if you do, it will be nice to know that the engine and tranny will survive the added boost.

Good luck

Mark

·
Registered
453 Posts
RT Mark said:
I like the way you think bandfreek9. MORE POWER! Instantaneous knock you back in the seat power and torque.

But you may want to consider looking at the BIG picture for a moment. Trans and Engine. I put a Paxton on my 5.9 and LOVED it. My right foot could not get enough of it. But my tranny sure did. It failed on me a couple of months later. So I bought a Martin Saine tranny, capable of withstanding over 700HP. I was back in business until a I heard a knocking sound under the hood. The crank rod bearings were hammered out by all the HP and TQ. So I had the FastMan build me one of his engines, able to withstand the hammering of the Paxton. So far, so good.

I guess what I am saying is that when you install a supercharger or a turbocharger, you are opening yourself up to all kinds of potential future problems, and they will be expensive!

If I had to do it all over again I would work backwards. I would have The FastMan build me an engine that makes awesome HP and TQ. I'd have him build it S/C or T/C ready, so you can bolt it on later if you want. Then I would run it and see if it is enough to satisfy your power needs. Then I would look at getting a beefed up tranny. With all that HP and TQ, it will only be a matter of time before it fails. After all of that, then I would consider adding the S/C or TC. And if you do, it will be nice to know that the engine and tranny will survive the added boost.

Good luck

Mark

I agree you need a good foudation before you build house same thing. I like turbos myself. But having proven kit is always nice

1 - 6 of 6 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.