Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Registered
22 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Well hello to all my dodge truck brothers again,

Im up past what time i should be, running on little sleep, and started to get a crazy idea... is it possible to turbo these old trucks, namely a 1984 d-150 with a 318 2bbl? I have access to some turbo parts, and i know some people who have experience with adding turbos (though to be fair, only with 4cyl honda engines...). to me, there is plenty of room in the engine bay to play with. I dont know much about the internals of the engine, but im thinking with a 1000cfm, or so, carb, much larger fuel pump and lines, and plenty of intake and exhaust piping, it could be possible. What do you guys think? if i have to replace most of internals and heads, it may not be worth it to do it to this truck( its destined to be my little brothers in years to come:bawl: ) Any criticisms, drug test, or yelling welcome, and thanks.

·
Banned
1,469 Posts
first things first; S#!T can that Lean Burn and get a vacuum advance distributor and a carb with the vacuum port needed to operate it; manifold vacuum will NOT run it correctly!

·
Registered
1,231 Posts
come to florida...it will seem a reality ...sad.

·
Registered
22 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
i kinda think its a baby being carried by a croc, not eaten... and its fake.

Do normal edlebrock carbs have that vacum port, or would i have to find a special one?

·
Registered
456 Posts
Finally, somebody as crazy as me wanting to turbo one of our trucks. 1. The turbo mounting itself, you can either go rear mount (easiest), turn a Magnum manifold around and build an adapter to whatever turbo you decide to use or go balls out and build a log manifold. 2. How are you gonna fuel it? You basically have 2 choices here to make it run right, a specially built Blow-thru carb (here's a decent how-to http://www.hangar18fabrication.com/blowthru.html) or EFI. If you go EFI do not think factory systems they can not deal with boost that well due to a lack of tuneability in the PCM. So the cheapest and most popular route to go would be MegaSquirt to control it, and then build the rest of the EFI system yourself. By this I mean an intake manifold drilled to accept a fuel rail and some decent sized injectors (check out INDY), all the sensors, High pressure fuel system etc. Then the turbo itself, you need one large enough to not choke out your engine so if your junkyard hunting get a Holset off a Cummins (older 12V) or a brand new unit (Turbonetics is what is used mostly on V8's). Then all the guages to watch it, build a decent 727 with a nice loose stall some high gears (like 3.73's) and go smoke well just about everything.

·
Registered
456 Posts
Oh and I forgot things like a wastegate, intercooler, BOV (not necessary though) and if you get crazy Meth/Water injection. There is plenty of fun to be had with these things.

·
Buck99
667 Posts
Sounds expensive...

·
Registered
663 Posts
Sounds like an out of the box paxton SC would save head and heart aches.

·
Registered
456 Posts
S/C's arent as cool as turbo's though

·
Registered
663 Posts
Forgive me, what was I thinking...

·
Registered
456 Posts
ok sure thats pretty cool, didn't mean to start an argument or anything

·
Registered
31 Posts
If you are looking to boost your rig, check out www.theturboforums.com/smf/index.php?PHPSESSID=ffa504b2b4680fe0519c10251ce1e2ab&board=13.0 Thats the blow-through carb section. There is at least 2 guys I know of on there running around with boosted LA dodges of the 72-79 vintage.

It can be done, but tuning a turbo'd vehicle can be a nightmare. I'll just stick with my 2000 cummins thats turbo'd from the factory and stick with engine building for the 72.....But, at some point, I may toss around the idea of tossing a blower/turbo in the engine bay.

-Greg

1 - 13 of 13 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.