DodgeTalk Forum banner

Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 20 of 24 Posts

·
Registered
175 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I am not going to ask what tuner is best because all of you have your favorite. But I would like to know which one's have the following= monitor EGT, Boost, Trans slip, auto de fuel, change tire size I want good mileage and towing power only nothing else. I tow a 35' toy hauler loaded to about 15000lbs. 2006 3500 Megacab 5.9. Thanks.

·
running on 6 cylinders
543 Posts
the quadzilla xzt+ with commander
or
bully dog PMT
or
edge juice with attitude (but I am not sure it defuels)

·
Registered
28,800 Posts
I had the Edge Juice w/ Attitude, and it does everything you asked, but the power gains were nothing compared to my Bully Dog. It was a very noticable gain over stock, and the Attitude monitor is a great tool as well. these are the only 2 I have used, so I cant comment on the others.

·
Registered
440 Posts
The Banks will do all those things.
As a plus, if you buy a Banks, GodRamIt's head will explode.....
Okay, it was a joke !
Tee hee....

·
Registered
185 Posts
I just installed the Edge with Attitude, very noticable gains and lots of safety. I don't know about mpg gains but its worth it. What I can tell you is that I had a 2007 ram 4x4 qc hemi with 3.92's and a 2003 ram 4x4 qc 4.7 with 3.55's , great trucks never any problems but my 06 5.9 4x4 qc with 3.73's would pass both of them with ease with the Edge, the hemi would kill me if the diesel was stock, man those hemi's can go. The 4.7 liter would get the jump on the line but once the stock diesel got spooled up I would pass her.

·
Registered
28,800 Posts
I didnt gain anything as far as mileage goes with the Edge, but the Bullydog is great on mileage. When I keep my foot out of it, I am seeing about 3mpg better than i did with the Edge. I'm thinking about reinstalling the Edge just for the safety and gauges though.

·
running on 6 cylinders
543 Posts
yes book the banks will do all of those things. lol.

the only reason I didnt recomend it is
1. the power gains (dyno tested) were not even close to advertised.
2. for what you get it is exspensive.
3. Banks bashes other manufacturers
4. for the money there are other better more powerful stuff out there.

Now, if banks came out with a dyno proven 180HP box with the pda I would try it if it wasnt ridiculously priced.

But one thing I can say is that it is the safest box on the market right now.

I like the idea of reading stuff off the OBDII and doing all of the performance stuff on the motor instead of totally doing it on the obdII or vise versa.

·
Registered
175 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
Does the Bully Dog have guages or is it a computer screen and how much does all this cost?

·
running on 6 cylinders
543 Posts
You can pick up a used one for 7-800

it reads codes, goes up to 140hp (plus you can get a crazy larry file for 230hp)
has the gauges built in. it is definitly a nice unit.
If I had the money to spend that is where it would be.

·
Registered
175 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 · (Edited)
Where would I shop for a new one with the best price? And also is this the triple dog dare or the pup? and wahts the difference? I see they advertise 10 min. install so does EGT not requier a sensor in the manifold?

·
Registered
28,800 Posts
You want the Triple Dog with PMT monitor. Let me see if Moe's Performance can add this to the site today...I'm sure he will be able to beat just about everyone elses pricing on a new one.

·
running on 6 cylinders
543 Posts
BD has MAP pricing so he will be the same prices as anyone else.
I think map is $950 or something.
it does need an EGT sending unit but I believe it comes with it.

once the 10 minute download is done you can switch on the fly. other programmser cant say that except smarty

·
Registered
4,451 Posts
I say get gauges, smart Jr, and drive it without hurting the trans. The 70hp setting is perfect.

·
Registered
175 Posts
Discussion Starter · #15 ·
Ok I was looking online at the Bullydog stuff and they have the E-3 model with tow mode only. I can change tire size and switch to stock only. Has anyone used this or what? Also I don't think I want to mess with any more power since I am just towing and looking for mileage. Does this sound like what I want? All Iv'e read is that the other power settings are for no towing and I'm thinking that they would be too hard on the drive train ect. I still would like to monitor exhaust temps as it seems that would be best for towing?

·
Registered
28,800 Posts
Ok I was looking online at the Bullydog stuff and they have the E-3 model with tow mode only. I can change tire size and switch to stock only. Has anyone used this or what? Also I don't think I want to mess with any more power since I am just towing and looking for mileage. Does this sound like what I want? All Iv'e read is that the other power settings are for no towing and I'm thinking that they would be too hard on the drive train ect. I still would like to monitor exhaust temps as it seems that would be best for towing?
I would get the triple dog and just turn it down to the towing setting when you need to tow. This way you know that you have that extra power if/when you need it. You dont want to go small, and then wish you had done more down the road.

Then again, I am a big performance junkie, so this is just my train of thought. If you know that you wont be racing anything or needing that extra power, then there are some cheap tow boxes out there.

·
Registered
175 Posts
Discussion Starter · #17 ·
Yea your probably right and the difference in cost isn't that much. I just don't want the wife to get it and try the real power and blow it up.

·
running on 6 cylinders
543 Posts
you let her drive it?

·
Registered
377 Posts
My wife drove my truck once.

I cranked the Smarty on 9, and turn the TST I had at the time up to 4/4. That put the truck in the 500HP range.

She hated it, didn't like the touchy throttle, and hasn't driven it since.

Mission accomplished. :D :D

1 - 20 of 24 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.