Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
24 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I have an 03 Slt 4.7 with 110K on it.

It runs pretty good still, I'm thinking I should give it a tune up, what should really do though? Never had a tune up yet, air filter is about the only thing every done besides oil.

Thanks.

·
Platinum 2K R/T
4,054 Posts
Never had a tune up with 110K? I hope you're not the original owner.

I'd definitely replace plugs, check air filter, do a transmission service, replace transfer case fluid, perhaps a 4x4 service as that might be original fluid you're running. If power steering or brake fluids are DARK, it'd be wise to change them out. There have been a few instances of failing power steering racks here, which I would believe is just filthy fluid building up where it can cause harm over time. I'd also check the coolant freeze point. Remove the pressure cap when the engine is cold. If you see any white residue around the cap you should consider a flush of the system.

If you're tires are in decent shape, it'd be wise to keep them that way and do a rotation, perhaps a balance and be sure tires pressures are in check.

·
Registered
24 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Thanks.

Should I replace the spark plug wires as well? Is there a plug that is any better than another? I was looking at Bosch Platinum they're 1.99 each at Advanced Auto.

Tires and breaks were just replaced, fluids are good. is the 4x4 service easy to do? I don't use it much 1 few times a year, is going to impact much if I dont?

·
Todd O
933 Posts
4.7's dont have spark plug wires I would recommend to replace the plugs with stock champions unless you have a performance issue. Basically any stock spark plugh for your vechicle would be fine I really don't care what anybody thinks about that because I've ran them all. Don't worry about your gear oil unless you tow or offroad that oil will last for a long time. If you want to change it just siphon out the old oil from the front and rear diff with a suction pump and add new oil. I would recommend replacing the tranny fluid and transfer case fluid like said in another post. There are two transmission filters and the fluid is atf+4. Clean the throttle body as well. Do a search on here for that and you'll see how to do it.

·
Todd O
933 Posts
Don't use platinum plugs just standard replacement plugs.

·
Todd O
933 Posts
I think platinum plugs are a waste if you don't need them and I did read somewhere that they were not good for the 4.7. However I can tell you that I ran iridiums one time which cost about 10 bucks each and there was no difference so I would stick with just standard copper plugs. Use champion, ngk, and autolites. I've used those with success.

·
Platinum 2K R/T
4,054 Posts
I agree. Copper plugs are just as good as Platinum. The difference between getting a better metal is to increase the life of the plug. This can be good from a maintenance standpoint just as much as it can be bad. Leaving a plug alone in a head for 10+ years while you try and accumulate 100K on them can cause a problem when you try to take them out - they can seize; it's more common on Ford V8's though but there have been some cases in the Magnum series as well.

I've pulled Champions and copper core NGK plugs out at 35K (rated for 25-30K) and they still look fantastic. For $2 a plug every few years, it's a worth while investment as platinum or iridium plugs won't really net you better performance unless you tune the whole vehicle for better performance then they MIGHT help you then. If you're not concerned with changing the plugs for a LONG time, then get the platinums, but they're not necessary with these engines. In the words of the ING Direct guy on TV - Save your money.

·
Registered
24 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
Sorry bring this back to the top, but I just got back in town and picked up the copper plugs. Since they probably have not been changed in several years, any suggestions on getting them out with out breaking them?

Thanks for the help.

·
Todd O
933 Posts
They shouldn't break just make sure you have the socket securely on the plug make sure you use a spark plug socket and if you want a locking extension helps a lot.

1 - 10 of 10 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.