DodgeTalk Forum banner
Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 5 of 5 Posts

· Registered
83 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
just had my truck com. flashed for knocking is this the death flash? tech bulletin #18-004-02 my milage went from 15/16 to 13/14 power seems off. how do i get it back ? will a hypertech programer do it or perhaps another way . thanks for help

· ******* Yankee
2,570 Posts
That sounds like the death flash. Yes a programmer or custom flash will fix it. Before you do that you might want to find out what was causing it to knock and fix that. It could be cheap gas, bad plenum gasket or a few other things.

To check your plenum gasket take off your air cleaner and look down you throttle body towards the back with a flash light and check for oil. If there is oil down there that usually means your plenum gasket is leaking. It's a common problem with these engines. If you do a search of "plenum gasket" or "death flash" you'll find all the info you need.

· pmed148
25 Posts
Truck also spark knocking

I was experiencing moderate to severe spark knock recently. I checked down the TB and found no oil. It was clean except a light film which I thought would be normal from the fuel. The plenum gasket was changed at 29000 mi. It now has 79000 on it. I also checked for vaccum through the PCV valve, also ok. I re-routed the plug wires per the TSB. My last atttempt at finding the cause, I put a bottle of octane boost in and immediately the knock went away. I've been running mid-grade gas since and no knocking. Does this mean I need a program adjustment? New plugs, cap, wires, rotor were changed in early summer.

· Registered
83 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
thereis a tech bulletin for 99 all motorson rams . my truck always got better mpg and power off of super unleaded gas and thats what i ran. brought in for knocking,mech did tune up found tech for knocking had it flashed by dealer ,knock gone so is mpg an power!!!! no other problems truck was runnning great but now what do i do?

· ******* Yankee
2,570 Posts
MARLIN FAN said:
thereis a tech bulletin for 99 all motorson rams . my truck always got better mpg and power off of super unleaded gas and thats what i ran. brought in for knocking,mech did tune up found tech for knocking had it flashed by dealer ,knock gone so is mpg an power!!!! no other problems truck was runnning great but now what do i do?
About the only thing you can do is what I wrote in post #2. Search "death flash" and you'll know what all your options are.

1 - 5 of 5 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.