DodgeTalk Forum banner

1 - 14 of 14 Posts

·
Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter #2
Computer, radiator, heater core, blower fan motor, and now two freeze plug later I have lost count of how much I have spent! Way more than I paid for the van! I should have did it my self!

·
Registered
25 Posts
I have spent a lot of money repairing, routine, and preventative maintenance on my van/cars. (Sometimes more than what I paid for my cars).
You save a ton of money on labor doing the work yourself. The problem is money, time, space, available tools, and skill. Meaning, you have to choose your battles based on your skill and resources.
Granted, I do have a mechanical background, but I've bought repair manuals, watched DIY videos, and searched forums that have helped me work through repairs.
Use this forum as your call-a-friend resource and you may be able to fix your ride.

Sent from my SM-G950U using Tapatalk

·
Registered
41 Posts
If I feel like I can resolve it on my own, I just do it at home but if the problem will be similar to what you have encountered I think it best to go to an auto service repair shop.

·
Elder User
3,119 Posts
My philosophy is always try and teach yourself and DIY, the money you save pays for your tools.

"If you think education is expensive, try ignorance." :)

·
Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
We are talking about working on a machine trail and error, you never went to school for it, like fixing your bike when it broke. But just a bit more extreme. Putting the part on the way it comes off. Ignorance means lacking knowledge!

·
Registered
25 Posts
Btw, what were the symptoms & faults that you brought to fix in the first place?

Sent from my SM-G950U using Tapatalk

·
Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
Intermittently stating at one point I was stranded went back the next day started right up. It got really muddy in the radiator. Now the engine compartment looks like it's been off road but the shop got it running and now replaced two freeze plugs so far

·
Registered
15 Posts
From my point of view it's allways better to try it yourself, if you have the skills. First thing you need is the correct documentation (rtfm) - that's what i learned. Finally i got my workshop manual and the errors are eliminated one by one. Couldn't pay a shop for that. And as the creamwhip on top you get knowing your van. So if it just brakes down in a rainy night in the middle of nowhere and no cellphone service it better to know, where to start... :)

·
Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
AC was working before it went to the shop now a heater coil, blower motor, and radiator installation lader nothing from the AC compressor!

·
Registered
15 Posts
Did you check:
1. Plug to compressor cerrectly attached ( behind compressor on top of motor)
2. Magnetic coupling engaging (if not and you want to exchange it, be VERY, VERY carful on unscrewing the center nut - the bolt likes to brake off...wich turns the comp into scrap)
3. Pressure on the system (connector for pessure gauge right in front of ac-box under the hood.
Greetz,
ndee

AC was working before it went to the shop now a heater coil, blower motor, and radiator installation lader nothing from the AC compressor!

·
Registered
15 Posts
I am just facing a new electrical issue. Getting power reverse from somewhere in the ac-system. It‘s backfeeding a certain splice wich makes some ignition-powered systems stay on all day, what kills my battery over a few hours...

·
Registered
15 Posts
Found the source! One of the preowners decided to bring the AC-system to run with no key in. So he kind of vandalised in the wiring behind the controls. As soon, as the "Off"-Button on the controls is not pressed, it powers back :)
Had to uninstall instruments, ac-control and radio to solve this...

I am just facing a new electrical issue. Getting power reverse from somewhere in the ac-system. It‘s backfeeding a certain splice wich makes some ignition-powered systems stay on all day, what kills my battery over a few hours...

1 - 14 of 14 Posts